Official I Want To Buy A Hdtv Thread

I've already got a 42" Toshiba Regza downstairs that serves as my main TV. Now that I'm spoiled with it I'm looking to get rid of the 20" CRT Picture Tube.I'm a fan of the Toshiba Regza Series as IMO they give you the best bang for your buck. Pricing for similar models fall below the "Sony's" but above the "Vizio's".Here's what I'm looking at right now...TOSHIBA REGZA 32" 1080p Full HD LCDTV w/ Cinespeed - 32RV530U...found it as low as $650 on other sites.89-253-134-05.jpgI'm looking to use it obviously as a HDTV but also have plans to hook up my PS3, WII, and main computer to it. Hopefully you all can convince me that this is a decent or horrible idea.My goal obviously is to regain my money pretty quickly as I should be able to hold quite a few online poker tables on something like this.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's early in the morning, and I thought this thread title was " I want to buy a hotty" when I clicked on it, and I'm like " Hell ya, I have experience...." only to be shattered by a thread about tv's.Is there anything I like better than commecial's for TV's, that talk about how clear the new TV's picture is, and show that clear picture next to another TV. Hey.. geniuses.. I'm watching your commerical on my old god damn TV, how can I tell any clarity difference. I'm not a retard, here.

It's early in the morning, and I thought this thread title was " I want to buy a hotty" when I clicked on it, and I'm like " Hell ya, I have experience...." only to be shattered by a thread about tv's.Is there anything I like better than commecial's for TV's, that talk about how clear the new TV's picture is, and show that clear picture next to another TV. Hey.. geniuses.. I'm watching your commerical on my old god damn TV, how can I tell any clarity difference. I'm not a retard, here.
Sorry to let you down. :)Haha, couldn't agree more. It's sad to think that most of the population just watches those commercials thinking...wow that TV looks good. Gotta get me one of those.Btw congrats on mistyping commercial 2 out of 2 times and doing a differenct way each time.
Sorry to let you down. :)Haha, couldn't agree more. It's sad to think that most of the population just watches those commercials thinking...wow that TV looks good. Gotta get me one of those.Btw congrats on mistyping commercial 2 out of 2 times and doing a differenct way each time.
i just woke up and don't care... and you should probably not have spelling errors in posts you make pointing out people's spelling errors. Js.

I just bought new HDTV myself..After a long time of studying and asking questions, I decided to go with the Panasonic 50 inch HDTV Plasma..After my research I found out that there is a lot of misconceptions on Plasmas...The burn in factor is a deterrent , however the new generation Plasmas dont have this problem. Panasonic is one of the higher end models for Plasmas. They told me that the tv will last 25 years with average viewing, however at this price I dont mind having the tv for 5-6 years before bigger and better come out.I also found that while everyone said get 1080p, the technology isnt close to being available in 1080p for regular HDTV programming. Also to the naked eye its almost impossible to tell the difference. The only thing is for Blue Ray discs and PS3 you MAY see a little better picture..I didnt want to spend an extra $500 on something that I probably wont get a benefit from.My old Sony 52 inch projection tv after 7 years gave out on me and instead of spending $400 fixing the dinosaur , i thought i get a new one. FWIW i paid $3500 for that sucker 7 years ago.My next problem is cables...For experts out there does HDMI cables really make the picture better. The picture is so good as it is..Is spending up to $100 cables worth it.For the record the TV was $1299 Canadian , which currently for you Americans is around a $1000

i just woke up and don't care... and you should probably not have spelling errors in posts you make pointing out people's spelling errors. Js.
touché
I just bought new HDTV myself..After a long time of studying and asking questions, I decided to go with the Panasonic 50 inch HDTV Plasma..After my research I found out that there is a lot of misconceptions on Plasmas...The burn in factor is a deterrent , however the new generation Plasmas dont have this problem. Panasonic is one of the higher end models for Plasmas. They told me that the tv will last 25 years with average viewing, however at this price I dont mind having the tv for 5-6 years before bigger and better come out.I also found that while everyone said get 1080p, the technology isnt close to being available in 1080p for regular HDTV programming. Also to the naked eye its almost impossible to tell the difference. The only thing is for Blue Ray discs and PS3 you MAY see a little better picture..I didnt want to spend an extra $500 on something that I probably wont get a benefit from.My old Sony 52 inch projection tv after 7 years gave out on me and instead of spending $400 fixing the dinosaur , i thought i get a new one. FWIW i paid $3500 for that sucker 7 years ago.My next problem is cables...For experts out there does HDMI cables really make the picture better. The picture is so good as it is..Is spending up to $100 cables worth it.For the record the TV was $1299 Canadian , which currently for you Americans is around a $1000
There's no difference in quality for HDMI cables between name brand and cheapies because the signal is digital. . Go to a hole in the wall mom and pop electronic store and pick up a $20 cable.
There's no difference in quality for HDMI cables between name brand and cheapies because the signal is digital. . Go to a hole in the wall mom and pop electronic store and pick up a $20 cable.
But to answer the other part.... Between HDMI and standard cables, there is definitely a difference.
I just bought new HDTV myself..After a long time of studying and asking questions, I decided to go with the Panasonic 50 inch HDTV Plasma..After my research I found out that there is a lot of misconceptions on Plasmas...The burn in factor is a deterrent , however the new generation Plasmas dont have this problem. Panasonic is one of the higher end models for Plasmas. They told me that the tv will last 25 years with average viewing, however at this price I dont mind having the tv for 5-6 years before bigger and better come out.I also found that while everyone said get 1080p, the technology isnt close to being available in 1080p for regular HDTV programming. Also to the naked eye its almost impossible to tell the difference. The only thing is for Blue Ray discs and PS3 you MAY see a little better picture..I didn't want to spend an extra $500 on something that I probably wont get a benefit from.My old Sony 52 inch projection tv after 7 years gave out on me and instead of spending $400 fixing the dinosaur , i thought i get a new one. FWIW i paid $3500 for that sucker 7 years ago.My next problem is cables...For experts out there does HDMI cables really make the picture better. The picture is so good as it is..Is spending up to $100 cables worth it.For the record the TV was $1299 Canadian , which currently for you Americans is around a $1000
Pretty decent price. I'm assuming you went 720p then? The reason I went 1080p is that I'm hoping to keep these TV's for most of their lifespan instead of the 5-6 years you described. Who knows what they'll have by then so it maybe a bad decision on my part.Last year when was researching my first HDTV I was bouncing back and forth between Plasma and LCD. Side by side in stores I always thought plasma's had nicer pictures. The factor that swayed me toward LCD was that the new TV was going to be in a sunny room. It was explained to me that LCD is much better with glare. So unless you are only viewing the TV at night or it lives in a basement or some room without sunlight you should avoid plasma.As for the HDMI I'd go for it. I'm no expert but I'd say it's a good way to go. You don't necessarily need to get a top of the line HDMI cable but any HDMI is going to give you a better quality picture than standard AV cables. Plus isn't HDMI the only way to get HD channels from your cable/satellite box? (I wrote this before looking at the posts above me :club:)
Pretty decent price. I'm assuming you went 720p then? The reason I went 1080p is that I'm hoping to keep these TV's for most of their lifespan instead of the 5-6 years you described. Who knows what they'll have by then so it maybe a bad decision on my part.Last year when was researching my first HDTV I was bouncing back and forth between Plasma and LCD. Side by side in stores I always thought plasma's had nicer pictures. The factor that swayed me toward LCD was that the new TV was going to be in a sunny room. It was explained to me that LCD is much better with glare. So unless you are only viewing the TV at night or it lives in a basement or some room without sunlight you should avoid plasma.As for the HDMI I'd go for it. I'm no expert but I'd say it's a good way to go. You don't necessarily need to get a top of the line HDMI cable but any HDMI is going to give you a better quality picture than standard AV cables. Plus isn't HDMI the only way to get HD channels from your cable/satellite box? (I wrote this before looking at the posts above me :club:)
I agree with the glare problem..My tv is in the basement and gets no sun , so its a non issue for me..You are right though, if there is a lot of sun in the room, LCD is a better.I was so pissed that when I came home Saturday and got everything set up that I didnt have HDMI cables so I would have to wait till the next day(as stores were closed)..To my delight I stuck my 7 year old cables into the tv and satellite box and voila beatiful HD picture...I am going to take the advice and go get myself some no name HDMI cables...Best Buy is a rip off.I am convinced Best buy makes no money on the 50 inch tvs , but make the money on products like Monster Cables.
I am convinced Best buy makes no money on the 50 inch tvs , but make the money on products like Monster Cables.
Yep you are correct. I know a few people that work at Best Buy or similar stores so they get employee discounts. Each item they buy at just a small percentage over what Best Buy actually pays for them. They get pretty crazy deals on those. Even if Best Buy makes money on TV's it's certainly no where near the percentage they make off of the accessories. Companies like that aren't stupid. Printers are usually pretty cheap but they know you're going to have to buy expensive toner.
I have had a cheap ($350) 32" lcd tv in my bedroom for several months hooked up via component cables and I was always disaspointed with the picture/performance of the tv.. I assumed it was becasue it was a cheap off brand.. last week I went to Frys and purchased a $15 hdmi cable, just to see.. there is a huge differance in picture quality for some reason.. I left it hooked up both ways, so I can switch back and forth.. no comparisson, I am verry happy now definately get the hdmi cables, but I dont think you need to spend much money

I've had my 57" Mitsubishi DLP since September of 2006. The "lamp" went out Sunday so now I have to buy a $250 part and install it myself. I don't know the expected lifespan of these lamps, but the service lady said two years sounds about right. Replacing a pretty expensive part every few years would make me regret my DLP choice. I'm using my 32" LCD from the bedroom until I get this fixed. I hate the tv networks or cable provider for not recording/broadcasting all the programing in the same HD format. I'll get letter boxed 1080i, switch stations and it's 4:3 720p. They should never run the EBS type banner that reminds me antennas will be obsolete next year. I'm already watching a HD channel that people couldn't get with antennas.

At 32" you will not see a difference in 720p vs 1080p, you only see the dif on bigger sets. So if the same set is available in 720p with a significant price difference, buy the lower res one and use the extra money for the cables & your digital box rental. Are you putting an HD box on the tv set or just a digital box?Serge - if you buy an HD tv set with an HD box and dont use HDMI cables, you are definitley not getting the best picture, gauranteed. Infact component cables only send out 480p so you've just wasted thousands on dollars to watch standard def with widescreen signals. As others already said, any HDMI cables will work, afterall you're just sending a digital signal. Keep in mind most of the cables aren't very long, but if you're box is right next to your tv, buy the 3' cable instead of 6. You'll save a few bucks.

At 32" you will not see a difference in 720p vs 1080p, you only see the dif on bigger sets. So if the same set is available in 720p with a significant price difference, buy the lower res one and use the extra money for the cables & your digital box rental. Are you putting an HD box on the tv set or just a digital box?Serge - if you buy an HD tv set with an HD box and dont use HDMI cables, you are definitley not getting the best picture, gauranteed. Infact component cables only send out 480p so you've just wasted thousands on dollars to watch standard def with widescreen signals. As others already said, any HDMI cables will work, afterall you're just sending a digital signal. Keep in mind most of the cables aren't very long, but if you're box is right next to your tv, buy the 3' cable instead of 6. You'll save a few bucks.
thanks gov...good advice..I am going to get some tonight in time for the Leafs game...BTW..Hockey is so much better in HD....regular hockey broadcast is unwatchable after going HD
thanks gov...good advice..I am going to get some tonight in time for the Leafs game...BTW..Hockey is so much better in HD....regular hockey broadcast is unwatchable after going HD
All TV is unwatchable in standard for me now. But sports especially. Basketball and Hockey would probably have to be the worst though.

I had picked up the sony 32' xbr in 2006. way over priced but a great tv. I recently picked up HDMI cables. being that the tv is 720P I cant really notice much a of a difference on the picture but the sound you notice a huge difference. Right now I am debating about picking up a new samsung. maybe in the 46' range. with the new 120Hz.

I had picked up the sony 32' xbr in 2006. way over priced but a great tv. I recently picked up HDMI cables. being that the tv is 720P I cant really notice much a of a difference on the picture but the sound you notice a huge difference. Right now I am debating about picking up a new samsung. maybe in the 46' range. with the new 120Hz.
With regards to 720p...There isnt any tv broadcast that does or will in the near future in 1080p, unless you are talking about Blue Ray

1080p's are way cheaper now than when I got mine, which is 1080i.It's not really a ton more to get the P, and i think you'll regret not getting it. (I do.)I have a PS3 and some blu-ray's, so it sucks for me that they dropped so much since then. (2 years ago)

1080p's are way cheaper now than when I got mine, which is 1080i.It's not really a ton more to get the P, and i think you'll regret not getting it. (I do.)I have a PS3 and some blu-ray's, so it sucks for me that they dropped so much since then. (2 years ago)
the prices are ridicolous actually..$10000 tvs from 5 years ago are under $2000And you can get a very good HD big screen tv for under a $1000
the prices are ridicolous actually..$10000 tvs from 5 years ago are under $2000And you can get a very good HD big screen tv for under a $1000
Don't remind me.I paid like $1700 for my 42" Plama. Granted Plamsa's are still a lil more expensive, but at the time it was a damn good price.