I tried HU NLHE the other day and it seems very profitable. Right now I am just playing 50 NL. I am looking for advice on picking out bad players to play, and I guess on picking out good players to stay away from. Anyone have any tips on this? So far all I do is pick out people who buy-in short stack and assume they aren't that good, and they usually aren't. Conversely, if someone is sitting with 2 or more buy-ins I assume they are good. Any other tips?Also, what kind of win rate can be expected in HU NL? BB/100?Thanks for any help!

I tried HU NLHE the other day and it seems very profitable. Right now I am just playing 50 NL. I am looking for advice on picking out bad players to play, and I guess on picking out good players to stay away from. Anyone have any tips on this? So far all I do is pick out people who buy-in short stack and assume they aren't that good, and they usually aren't. Conversely, if someone is sitting with 2 or more buy-ins I assume they are good. Any other tips?Also, what kind of win rate can be expected in HU NL? BB/100?Thanks for any help!
Be careful doing this, I do this to make people think that. :club:
Yeah, I've noticed some Short-stackers can actually play and I usually quit that game after I realize they can play.
I don't understand this logic.The people that prey on short stackers usually have a decent HU game I would think. They at least understand that people sitting with a random amount are likely to be playing with the entire bankroll.So if you sit with a random amount, you will only attract good players to play you?The only reason I could see to do this would be if you were so good at your particular level, that you never got action when sitting with a full buy in.
I don't understand this logic.The people that prey on short stackers usually have a decent HU game I would think. They at least understand that people sitting with a random amount are likely to be playing with the entire bankroll.So if you sit with a random amount, you will only attract good players to play you?The only reason I could see to do this would be if you were so good at your particular level, that you never got action when sitting with a full buy in.
Not much to understand. I think you misunderstood me, I do not buy-in short and wait for bad players. I search through tables for short-stackers and then sit at their table. If they are good I leave if they suck I play until they quit. On a side note, I like how this thread has >100 views and 3 replies. Pretty sweet.
Not much to understand. I think you misunderstood me, I do not buy-in short and wait for bad players. I search through tables for short-stackers and then sit at their table. If they are good I leave if they suck I play until they quit. On a side note, I like how this thread has >100 views and 3 replies. Pretty sweet.
Yeah it wasn't really your logic I was questioning, but SGFUL's.
50NLHU is hard to beat, not because of the players, but because of the butt humpingly high rake. Having talked to a few pros about it, they recommend not playing NLHU until at least 1/2, preferably 2/4.
200 NL and 400 NL seem like a pretty tough terrain to be learning HU poker on though. I sure those games are saturated with good regulars.
50NLHU is hard to beat, not because of the players, but because of the butt humpingly high rake. Having talked to a few pros about it, they recommend not playing NLHU until at least 1/2, preferably 2/4.
I noticed this the other night and quit playing. Button raise, BB fold. It is usually a .75 pot, only .50 is awarded. It makes stacks start to dwindle fast.
The rake is high, but other peoples results on here suggest it is beatable
Why are you questioning me? If someone comes looking for a short-stack and finds me thinking I'm a bad player, I can definitely take advantage of this situation. Right.
But I think one can decide within just a few hands, whether someone is a good HU player. So if you're short stacking, a short stack hunter sits down, you play a few hands, then one or both of you realise the other is a good player. Then you either play a good player or one of you leaves. Is this not correct?Edit: Also why shouldn't I question you? It's not like you have a great HU reputation round here like Jordan, Tremomey or Acid.
The rake is high, but other peoples results on here suggest it is beatable
I don't think you can sit and wait and play a ton of small pots in $50 HU NL HE I think you need to know your opponent or establish a read very quickly and exploit it. That's why tricky small stacks can be effective in $50 HU NL HE.If I see someone playing HU every night, I generally avoid them.
But I think one can decide within just a few hands, whether someone is a good HU player. So if you're short stacking, a short stack hunter sits down, you play a few hands, then one or both of you realise the other is a good player. Then you either play a good player or one of you leaves. Is this not correct?Edit: Also why shouldn't I question you? It's not like you have a great HU reputation round here like Jordan, Tremomey or Acid.
All I did was warn the OP that searching for the small-stacks could backfire. Sorry my reputation isn't great, I also think that strategy should have MANY different opinions and views to help everyone looking for advice.
So there is someone on AP playing 9 tables of 0.25/0.50 NL HU. I can't even imagine doing this. I play 1 table HU with 4 6-max tables and even that is a lot for me.
I heard that Durrr was once playing 8tables HU, but I agree, someone playing that amounts gotta be pretty expolitable unless they're all the same person on the table or summat

to tell you the truth, I'm not very good to stick to my BR management. But in HU, I always do? Why? Because of the variance. In short handed or full ring I often feel comfortable playing short (sometimes anyways) but in HU, I don't. You say you like to play short stacks hu because of em playing scared money or what?? I, on the other hand, love playing the big stacks in 50, 100, or 200 NL! Again why? Cause I know I beat em in the long term AND I only risk a full buy in to win a big score. I don't know how many times I've sat down w someone sitting on a 600 stack in a 100NL game and see that cocky mf leaving w me sitting w 700 (-rake). LOVE IT. Srsly who the f are these guys who think their soooo good that they can sit in with a 7 BI'n stack? I double up 2 times and his stack is toast. I'm gonna post in the drunk stupidy thread right now. Hope my post made sense though...

I'm gonna post in the drunk stupidy thread right now. Hope my post made sense though...
I was very intrigued and almost inspired by your post until I read these last two lines. Then you just reminded me of one of my dumbass friends who drinks way too much and thinks they are way better at poker than they really are.
I noticed this the other night and quit playing. Button raise, BB fold. It is usually a .75 pot, only .50 is awarded. It makes stacks start to dwindle fast.
This is incorrect. There is no rake for a hand that gets taken down preflop.
Why are you questioning me? If someone comes looking for a short-stack and finds me thinking I'm a bad player, I can definitely take advantage of this situation. Right.
Say you're going out to the woods. You want to kill as many animals as possible. Do you super-glue antlers to your hat to confuse the hunters?Players who look at the stack sizes of their opponents are the hunters in this metaphor.
Say you're going out to the woods. You want to kill as many animals as possible. Do you super-glue antlers to your hat to confuse the hunters?Players who look at the stack sizes of their opponents are the hunters in this metaphor.
Good analogy.
Good analogy.
Yup, it seems counter-intuitive to me - I sat down with someone yesterday with like 60bb, but a random number - could tell in about 5-10hands he was competant, plus he'd reloaded full
post-19913-1223804994_thumb.jpg