• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like McCain responses are very condescending whenever Obama says something that he would do in terms of foreign policy.Probably not the greatest tactic.
They are condescending, but it's a totally understandable condescension. McCain is insanely knowledgeable about 'that stuff'. Wars, geopolitics- he lives and breathes it. Obama on the other hand has cursory knowledge, but he isn't in the same universe as McCain.Obama debating McCain on this stuff would be like McCain debating Obama on how to organize communities on the southside of Chicago. Obama is owning this debate overall as he's the better communicator and most effectively appeals to the rabbles grievances with the current state of government, but win or lose, he isn't in the same universe as McCain on understanding the minutiae and nuance of highly complex foreign policies.
I am suprised Obama wants to go anywhere near Energy, given Pelosi/Reed congress stance....
McCain's voting record on alternative energy makes it easier. He thinks he can score points and paint McCain as out of touch on "newer" ideas. I dont think he should be scared of the energy topic but it is not his strongest topic to attack on.

Ok McCain keeps going back to Iraq - and I think its getting old - sad McCain avoided the questions / remarks about how America is views by other countries and repairing that respect that has lost

and BHO tries to raise Veterans benefits :)Ten point must system, 7 topics, 69-67 McCain
I'm shocked

I doubt that Obama got any undecided voters to swing his way, but McCain may have won a few. The longer McCain talked about foreign policy, the more assured and knowledgeable he seemed, so he probably got a few votes there. And Obama's basically refusing to admit that there is a govt program worth cutting, that probably swung a few undecideds, too.So overall, I think Cop's scoring is pretty right on.

Ok McCain keeps going back to Iraq - and I think its getting old - sad McCain avoided the questions / remarks about how America is views by other countries and repairing that respect that has lost
thats the 1 round i gave to BHO

pundits resultsFred Barnes - just slightly McCain a winner, but Obama held his ownJuan Williams - Obama winner, but bad momments for obamaNina Estman - Fortune Mag - McCain Bill Kristol - McCainHarold ford - drawMike Murphy- both did good, narrow mccain

Obama is pwning on Iran. Sorry McCain, Obama successfully countered every point you've made.This notion of "legitimizing rogue regimes by meeting with them" is ridiculous. All you have to do is say "we hate what they're doing, we're meeting with them to find out how to make them stop."EDIT: Noticed I'd typed a Q instead of an N on the country, lol.
I agree completely. I'm sorry but I can't remember one thing McCain said that made me feel better about OUR country. This country needs help, and he didn't say one word that would assure me that he can do that other than foreign security, and I'm sorry, but that isn't my #1 issue right now. That is something that can be handled by either side, but what are you going to do for THIS COUNTRY! Barack addressed what I think needs to change. McCain just kept saying "Cut spending"... But tell me how that helps me. Stop using the same phrase over and over and tell me what this will fix.I tried real hard to keep an open mind and listen to both of them, but I just didn't think McCain said very much that resonated with me at all. I think Obama tore him up in the beginning of the foreign stuff, but then towards the end McCain did a much better job.
McCain just kept saying "Cut spending"... But tell me how that helps me. Stop using the same phrase over and over and tell me what this will fix.
If govt stopped wasting all of our money on bs... maybe...just maybe we would have lower taxes, people would have more $$ to spend, the economy might grow, people might start more business, business might grow and hire more people and on and on and on

I thought both candidates brought their A game. No real gaffes or errors as both were able to make their points. I did think it was a powerful moment for Obama to look to McCain on Iraq and say, "John, you were wrong on.... you were wrong on... you were wrong..." McCain kept saying "Obama doesn't understand," and I think that's where people may feel like he was being condescending ,but I think it was better than saying, "McCain is right" all the time as Obama continued to do. Overall, this debate is the one where McCain really needed to shine since it is his forte. I don't think he did enough to do any real damage in the polls, and a big reason for that is that Obama did better than expected on the foreign policy discussion. As the debate shifts to the economy and social issues I think that favors Obama. I also feel like the VP debate is going to be fun to watch and the possibility for major gaffes from both parties is a very real possibility and that's always fun, lol. I was afraid Obama may get crushed in this first debate, but I think he did pretty well on "McCain's turf" if you will. Bring on October 2nd!

I doubt that Obama got any undecided voters to swing his way, but McCain may have won a few. The longer McCain talked about foreign policy, the more assured and knowledgeable he seemed, so he probably got a few votes there. And Obama's basically refusing to admit that there is a govt program worth cutting, that probably swung a few undecideds, too.So overall, I think Cop's scoring is pretty right on.
As I would, personally, agree on the issue of government spending (which was a strength for McCain in the debate.... but he did beat on it like a dead horse a little bit).Are we assuming that the average American understands or cares about how severe of a problem that government spending is? (I'm relating to what suited up said... yes, cut spending, but McCain needs to tell the American people what that is going for our country in specifics)Even though I disagree with Obama on his tax plans, McCain did NOT effectively attack him on this very very very weak issue of his. If McCain had expressed the disastrous affects to the middle class with Obama's tax plan, then I think he would've secured some undecided voters.McCain might have sounded a bit stronger on war issues, but that isn't as big of a deal to Americans right now then the economy is (by much larger standards). Obama also pulled off the topic of having a favorable world-view again.1. Obama needs to get tough and show a little emotion on the topics he speaks about. He spoke well, but you never really saw a "moment" of outrage when that's what he's running on (outrage of the last 8 years & McCain... which he successfully tied together).2. McCain can keep up the attack, but he needs to get back to issues that are more relative to the mindset of the CURRENT American voter.Who won? Neither. I don't believe the undecided are convinced by this debate. McCain won on war-like issues, but people are less and less interested in being involved in military matters around the world.
try being an American living overseas -(i am in that group) cause i will promise you ever american abroad paid attention to that
most of the americans abroad are military, and that scored nothing with them. If their votes get counted of course.

all mccain wants to talk about is not failing in iraq, as if obama supports failure in iraq or something. mccain had nothing to say outside of his support of the surge. it baffles me why mccain supporters all talk about the surge as some big glory when it is just beginning to fix the unimaginable damage they have done.

I thought both candidates brought their A game. No real gaffes or errors as both were able to make their points. I did think it was a powerful moment for Obama to look to McCain on Iraq and say, "John, you were wrong on.... you were wrong on... you were wrong..." McCain kept saying "Obama doesn't understand," and I think that's where people may feel like he was being condescending ,but I think it was better than saying, "McCain is right" all the time as Obama continued to do. Overall, this debate is the one where McCain really needed to shine since it is his forte. I don't think he did enough to do any real damage in the polls, and a big reason for that is that Obama did better than expected on the foreign policy discussion. As the debate shifts to the economy and social issues I think that favors Obama. I also feel like the VP debate is going to be fun to watch and the possibility for major gaffes from both parties is a very real possibility and that's always fun, lol. I was afraid Obama may get crushed in this first debate, but I think he did pretty well on "McCain's turf" if you will. Bring on October 2nd!
for the first time in this political forum, we mostly agree
all mccain wants to talk about is not failing in iraq, as if obama supports failure in iraq or something. mccain had nothing to say outside of his support of the surge. it baffles me why mccain supporters all talk about the surge as some big glory when it is just beginning to fix the unimaginable damage they have done.
Obamas strategy of pulling out on a timetable without regard to conditions on the ground is a policy of failure. Of course he doesnt want failure, whats dangerous is he doesnt know that his policy almost ensures failure.
This is what I saw too.I just don't get how blindly these guys follow their guy. Just open your god damned ears.