Mixed Game Challenge Thread

So I just made a deposit on Pstars, looking to log a lot of HORSE hands and get a deposit bonus rather quickly. Probably going to 2-3 table HORSE and maybe add a table of Limit O8.As far as bankroll management is concerned, what kind of BR should I have to play .25/.50 HORSE? I'm not going to be playing a ridiculous amount of hands or anything, so what would you (you limit gurus) would consider proper for that level bankroll-BB wise? I'm planning on playing pretty close to the standard limits for my bankroll, I'm relatively tired of redepositing. Oh, and eff tournies, I'm done w/ those for a while. FWIW, I consider myself to be relatively decent at every game in HORSE. Surprisingly, I tend to do the best at RAZZ and Stud8. I'm hoping to log enough hands and post them to identify some potential leaks. Hopefully I can offer some helpful advice here too!
for most horse games, 200BB is fine, but be ready to move down if you fall to 200BB at the next level down. once you get to 3/6 or so, i'd say 3-400BB is safer (since LHE and stud hi will get more aggressive, and those are both fairly high variance games).i'd also get out of the habit of multitabling horse unless you're playing complete and utter morons--a lot of how you're going to improve as you play is that you'll be learning how to utilize dead cards and betting patterns in the stud games, and that is very difficult to pick up on if you're playing multiple tables.
My first LOL razz hand. And yes, I know I'm LOLretarded for not leading or c/ring river:PokerStars Game #24899661200: HORSE (Razz Limit, $0.50/$1.00) - 2009/02/13 14:37:18 ETTable 'Priska IV' 8-maxSeat 1: shep2k ($29.30 in chips) Seat 2: Thatzpokah ($8.95 in chips) Seat 3: Beaverstyle ($18.80 in chips) Seat 4: Evoli ($6.75 in chips) Seat 5: veigald ($21 in chips) Seat 6: xMEDIUMx ($52.25 in chips) Seat 7: bigmike59 ($22.90 in chips) Seat 8: eightclypse ($29.50 in chips) Thatzpokah: posts the ante $0.05Beaverstyle: posts the ante $0.05Evoli: posts the ante $0.05veigald: posts the ante $0.05xMEDIUMx: posts the ante $0.05bigmike59: posts the ante $0.05eightclypse: posts the ante $0.05shep2k: posts the ante $0.05*** 3rd STREET ***Dealt to shep2k [2d]Dealt to Thatzpokah [2c]Dealt to Beaverstyle [3c As 2h]Dealt to Evoli [9h]Dealt to veigald [5d]Dealt to xMEDIUMx [3s]Dealt to bigmike59 [5c]Dealt to eightclypse [9d]Evoli: brings in for $0.25veigald: folds xMEDIUMx: raises $0.25 to $0.50bigmike59: folds eightclypse: folds shep2k: folds Thatzpokah: folds Beaverstyle: calls $0.50Evoli: folds
go ahead and get it capped here. i wouldn't try to get fancy until the games necessitate it. you know, at 15/30 or so :club:.
*** 4th STREET ***Dealt to Beaverstyle [3c As 2h] [Kc]Dealt to xMEDIUMx [3s] [3h]Beaverstyle: bets $0.50xMEDIUMx: raises $0.50 to $1Beaverstyle: raises $0.50 to $1.50xMEDIUMx: raises $0.50 to $2Betting is cappedBeaverstyle: calls $0.50*** 5th STREET ***Dealt to Beaverstyle [3c As 2h Kc] [7c]Dealt to xMEDIUMx [3s 3h] [8c]Beaverstyle: bets $1xMEDIUMx: raises $1 to $2Beaverstyle: raises $1 to $3xMEDIUMx: raises $1 to $4Betting is cappedBeaverstyle: calls $1*** 6th STREET ***Dealt to Beaverstyle [3c As 2h Kc 7c] [6d]Dealt to xMEDIUMx [3s 3h 8c] [2s]Beaverstyle: bets $1xMEDIUMx: calls $1
if he capped 5th with you, there's a decent chance that you can get a c/r in here, but your line is fine/standard.
*** RIVER ***Dealt to Beaverstyle [3c As 2h Kc 7c 6d] [8h]Beaverstyle: checks xMEDIUMx: bets $1Beaverstyle: calls $1*** SHOW DOWN ***xMEDIUMx: shows [5h 7h 3s 3h 8c 2s Ts] (Lo: 8,7,5,3,2)Beaverstyle: shows [3c As 2h Kc 7c 6d 8h] (Lo: 7,6,3,2,A)Beaverstyle collected $17.15 from potIs check/calling river really bad? I'm thinking leading/calling a raise is best here. (maybe even cap river?)
vtown the shit out of him here. he's shown a propensity to far overplay hands to this point--why would he stop on the river? tbh, i'd probably bet/3bet and call a cap. i think there's that much value there based on how he's played this hand alone.
Here are a couple interesting hands from a heads up Stud 8 session. Thoughts?Stud 8 # 13rd Street - (0.75 SB)Vil 1: xx xx A:club:___raises___callsHero: A:spade: 7:spade: 2:club:___raises4th Street - (2.50 SB)Vil 1: xx xx A:club: T:diamond:___bets___callsHero: A:spade: 7:spade: 2:club: 9:diamond:___raises
the raise here seems meaningless to me unless your villain is thoughtless and way overly tight--what are you trying to rep by raising here? i wouldn't believe you for shit, fwiw. :ts
5th Street - (3.25 BB)Vil 1: xx xx A:club: T:diamond: J:club:___checks___foldsHero: A:spade: 7:spade: 2:club: 9:diamond: K:diamond:___bets
oh, my bad. he is overly tight. ha. :4h
Stud 8 #23rd Street - (0.75 SB)Vil 1: xx xx 6:heart:___bring inHero: T:club: T:heart: 9:heart:___calls4th Street - (1.00 SB)Vil 1: xx xx 6:heart: A:club:___betsHero: T:club: T:heart: 9:heart: 2:heart:___calls5th Street - (1.50 BB)Vil 1: xx xx 6:heart: A:club: K:club:___bets___callsHero: T:club: T:heart: 9:heart: 2:heart: J:diamond:___raises 6th Street - (5.50 BB)Vil 2: xx xx 6:heart: A:club: K:club: 8:spade:___checks___callsHero: T:club: T:heart: 9:heart: 2:heart: J:diamond: A:heart:___betsRiver - (7.50 BB)Vil 2: xx xx 6:heart: A:club: K:club: 8:spade: xx___checksHero: T:club: T:heart: 9:heart: 2:heart: J:diamond: A:heart: 3:spade:___checksShowdown - (7.50 BB)
this seems a bit read-based to me--could be either vnh or misplayed on almost every street, lol. what is your thought process for this one?
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the raise here seems meaningless to me unless your villain is thoughtless and way overly tight--what are you trying to rep by raising here? i wouldn't believe you for shit, fwiw. :club: The raise isn't meaningless Jamie, the AT will bet there 100% of the time, so my raise shuts down any bluffs and lets me take control of the hand on later streets. FYI, if I had a big pair or was rolled up I would play it the same way in this situation, so my range is very balanced in these kind of situations.this seems a bit read-based to me--could be either vnh or misplayed on almost every street, lol. what is your thought process for this one?
Well when I limped in I did it to vary my play as I had been raising most of the hands I played. On 4th street my call in standard IMO. On 5th street is where it gets more tricky, I thought he was reping with complete air since my board was so weak and I hadn't shown any strength so the best option here is to raise. Once he just calls on 5th there is NO WAY he has anything and it makes it easier for me on later streets.
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate when this thing gets to like page 4.Here's my poker situation. My requirement to move up to .25/.5 is $125. I move back down to .1/.2 at $100. I have done this once, I ran really bad, and had to move down. I got to back $123.5, and then went -100BB or so without ever getting to $125 to take the shot.In the past month or so, I've been playing way way less for unrelated reasons. The other day my buddy got 5th place in the $11 1R+1A nl donkament, and apparently he owed me $40, which he shipped on stars.So now I have like $135, overrolled for my already conservative shot-taking requirement. But that requirement doesn't just have to do with roll management, I'm also concerned with slowly improving and really beating the game. So I think I'm gonna grind like 50BB more at the ubermicros, and then move up with something like 90BB of "cap space" at .25/.5.I hope to put in a few thousand hands this week, so hopefully I'll something good to post.Cappy and pdiddy, how are your challenges going? If no one has hands just post some bbv or say hi.

I'm enjoying my return to my old hunting grounds of micro stakes NLHE STTs. Recently moved up to the $5.50's after playing the $2.25's for a while. Cleared another $20 of my bonus just before the deadline. After my lengthy bonus-clearing struggle, during which I never really got my roll above the original $200 (despite clearing $100 of bonus), my roll is now pushing $260. Nice to be back in my comfort zone.

Cappy and pdiddy, how are your challenges going? If no one has hands just post some bbv or say hi.
I've run the $10 to $1000 in a shade under 2 months...Sorry I haven't posted much, but so many hands play themselves that it usually is brag, beat, or "Wow I won/lost a big pot in razz with/to jack-low!" I've tossed a few hands into the o8b thread, but even that is feeling awful mechanical/situatoonal most of the time.
So I think I'm gonna grind like 50BB more at the ubermicros, and then move up with something like 90BB of "cap space" at .25/.5.
Aaand 1 hour/58 hands/+48.75BB later, feeling good about an imminent shot.*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to danny purse [2d 6s 9h 7c Ac]danny purse: raises $0.10 to $0.20ETwantsmoney: calls $0.15dragotto73: calls $0.10*** FIRST DRAW ***ETwantsmoney: discards 3 cardsdragotto73: discards 2 cardsdanny purse: discards 2 cards [9h Ac]Dealt to danny purse [2d 6s 7c] [Ks Qd]ETwantsmoney: checks dragotto73: checks danny purse: bets $0.10ETwantsmoney: calls $0.10dragotto73: calls $0.10*** SECOND DRAW ***ETwantsmoney: discards 2 cardsdragotto73: discards 2 cardsdanny purse: discards 2 cards [Ks Qd]Dealt to danny purse [2d 6s 7c] [5h Qc]ETwantsmoney: checks dragotto73: checks danny purse: bets $0.20ETwantsmoney: calls $0.20dragotto73: calls $0.20*** THIRD DRAW ***ETwantsmoney: discards 1 carddragotto73: discards 1 carddanny purse: discards 1 card [Qc]Dealt to danny purse [2d 6s 7c 5h] [6h]ETwantsmoney: checks dragotto73: checks danny purse: bets $0.20To bluff 3way on the end, I think the list of positions to be in from best to worst is*:1- the middle2- first to act3- the endI think you get looked up lightest last to act, and even moreso when you had the lead. Here though, I kinda knew that dragotto73 was c/f a ton, so I thought it was a bit better of a spot. Then this happened:ETwantsmoney: calls $0.20dragotto73: folds *** SHOW DOWN ***danny purse: shows [2d 6s 5h 7c 6h] (Lo: a pair of Sixes)ETwantsmoney: mucks hand danny purse collected $1.81 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $1.90 | Rake $0.09 Seat 4: dragotto73 (big blind) folded after the 3rd DrawSeat 5: danny purse (button) showed [2d 6s 5h 7c 6h] and won ($1.81) with Lo: a pair of SixesSeat 6: ETwantsmoney (small blind) mucked [7s 3d 4c 8h 8s]So that was neat.* I can't figure out a reasonable way to structure this sentence.
To bluff 3way on the end, I think the list of positions to be in from best to worst is*:1- the middle2- first to act3- the end
agree, and it is an adequate, if awkward, sentence :)fwiw, the first two are nearly equal, but i would literally never bloof last to act unless i had a great deal of info suggesting otherwise.
Cappy and pdiddy, how are your challenges going? If no one has hands just post some bbv or say hi.
I only won $10 since I last posted, been busy bro. I might play a few sessions and post some hands here when I find some time. Btw you have almost no fold equity in that 2-7 TD spot, as you stated, especially if noobs are calling on rivers with a pair of 8's.* I think the best positions to be in, from best to worst, when executing a bluff on the river, would be 1) the middle 2) first to act 3) last to act :club: Fixed Coop!

I might start up the old challenge again, I nutbarred the last few times, playing every single hand and uber aggressively, and they still couldn't break me :lol:So I'm still at $130 because I've barely played at all lately, and when I play, I'm always nutbarring, but I think I will start trying again, even playing like a maniac I still win 95% of my cash game sessions and have a 19% ROI in sit&goes cause these guys suck so bad B)With that said, this thread seems dead, checky, cappy, 146, anti, coop where are you!!!

I might start up the old challenge again, I nutbarred the last few times, playing every single hand and uber aggressively, and they still couldn't break me :lol:So I'm still at $130 because I've barely played at all lately, and when I play, I'm always nutbarring, but I think I will start trying again, even playing like a maniac I still win 95% of my cash game sessions and have a 19% ROI in sit&goes cause these guys suck so bad B)With that said, this thread seems dead, checky, cappy, 146, anti, coop where are you!!!
Dude I posted like 1 min before you. Look up!
Since this is a multiway pot and you're in the middle I think raising is the better play since the station will pay you off no matter what and you may get in 2 bet from the button anyway depending upon how stationy he is as well as get a possibly cap in if he went runner runner for a good 8. If this was heads up rather then a multiway pot and the villain wasn't a complete donkey I don't mind the play.

Beat:mlg1952: folds *** THIRD DRAW ***corrupted4: stands pat danny purse: stands pat on [7d 5s 3c 2d 6c]corrupted4: checks danny purse: bets $0.50corrupted4: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***danny purse: shows [7d 5s 3c 2d 6c] (Lo: 7,6,5,3,2)corrupted4: mucks hand danny purse collected $4.30 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $4.50 | Rake $0.20 Seat 1: addison08 (big blind) folded before the DrawSeat 2: Sambo80 folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 3: heron23 folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 4: danny purse showed [7d 5s 3c 2d 6c] and won ($4.30) with Lo: 7,6,5,3,2Seat 5: mlg1952 (button) folded after the 2nd DrawSeat 6: corrupted4 (small blind) mucked [2h 5d 8s 4s 6h]So I missed at least 1 bet. Possibly two, if corrupted4 correctly read my call-pat in the middle 3way line as strong, causing him to check the river.

The strangest thing has been happenning to me for the longest time on stars. I can play and beat .25/.50 stud 8 on stars like all the time, but when I get to .5/1 I either break even or lose. Play definitely feels a bit more solid there (i.e. instead of there being 3-4 players that'll play junk like 2Q6, JQK and AQ9 suited, there'll only be 1-2). But there's usually 1 or 2 idiots at the table, yet I still can't seem to definitively beat it. 2-7 TD still confuses the crap out of me.

What do you guys think about the way ponchero played this hand? badvillain is a maniac who frequently bets into pat hands and then continues drawing, he's winning but playing with a dramatically -ev strategy. My notes on guilut just say he's kinda TAG and somewhat straightforward.PokerStars Game #25500168659: Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2009/03/01 18:36:27 ETTable 'Summa III' 6-max Seat #4 is the buttonSeat 1: corythebest ($9.10 in chips) Seat 2: Toldol ($19.20 in chips) Seat 3: badvillain ($26.85 in chips) Seat 4: guilut ($44.05 in chips) Seat 5: ponchero ($5.85 in chips) Seat 6: danny purse ($14.40 in chips) ponchero: posts small blind $0.10danny purse: posts big blind $0.25*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to danny purse [Ad Qs 9c Jc 7h]corythebest: folds Toldol: folds badvillain: calls $0.25guilut: raises $0.25 to $0.50ponchero: calls $0.40danny purse: folds badvillain: calls $0.25*** FIRST DRAW ***ponchero: discards 2 cardsbadvillain: discards 4 cardsguilut: discards 2 cardsponchero: checks badvillain: bets $0.25guilut: raises $0.25 to $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50badvillain: calls $0.25*** SECOND DRAW ***ponchero: discards 1 cardbadvillain: stands pat guilut: stands pat ponchero: checks badvillain: checks guilut: bets $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50badvillain: calls $0.50*** THIRD DRAW ***ponchero: stands pat badvillain: discards 1 cardguilut: stands pat ponchero: checks badvillain: checks guilut: bets $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50badvillain: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***guilut: shows [3s 4h 2c 5d 8c] (Lo: 8,5,4,3,2)ponchero: shows [2s 4c 3d 5h 8d] (Lo: 8,5,4,3,2)badvillain: mucks hand ponchero collected $3 from potguilut collected $2.95 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $6.25 | Rake $0.30 Seat 1: corythebest folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 2: Toldol folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 3: badvillain mucked [Ts 2d 8s 4d 6d]Seat 4: guilut (button) showed [3s 4h 2c 5d 8c] and won ($2.95) with Lo: 8,5,4,3,2Seat 5: ponchero (small blind) showed [2s 4c 3d 5h 8d] and won ($3) with Lo: 8,5,4,3,2Seat 6: danny purse (big blind) folded before the Draw

What do you guys think about the way ponchero played this hand? roxhan is a maniac who frequently bets into pat hands and then continues drawing, he's winning but playing with a dramatically -ev strategy. My notes on guilut just say he's kinda TAG and somewhat straightforward.
i think he can raise the end and possibly 3b or fold predraw, but i can't say that for sure obv.
What do you guys think about the way ponchero played this hand? roxhan is a maniac who frequently bets into pat hands and then continues drawing, he's winning but playing with a dramatically -ev strategy. My notes on guilut just say he's kinda TAG and somewhat straightforward.PokerStars Game #25500168659: Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2009/03/01 18:36:27 ETTable 'Summa III' 6-max Seat #4 is the buttonSeat 1: corythebest ($9.10 in chips) Seat 2: Toldol ($19.20 in chips) Seat 3: roxhan ($26.85 in chips) Seat 4: guilut ($44.05 in chips) Seat 5: ponchero ($5.85 in chips) Seat 6: danny purse ($14.40 in chips) ponchero: posts small blind $0.10danny purse: posts big blind $0.25*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to danny purse [Ad Qs 9c Jc 7h]corythebest: folds Toldol: folds roxhan: calls $0.25guilut: raises $0.25 to $0.50ponchero: calls $0.40danny purse: folds roxhan: calls $0.25*** FIRST DRAW ***ponchero: discards 2 cardsroxhan: discards 4 cardsguilut: discards 2 cardsponchero: checks roxhan: bets $0.25guilut: raises $0.25 to $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50roxhan: calls $0.25*** SECOND DRAW ***ponchero: discards 1 cardroxhan: stands pat guilut: stands pat ponchero: checks roxhan: checks guilut: bets $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50roxhan: calls $0.50*** THIRD DRAW ***ponchero: stands pat roxhan: discards 1 cardguilut: stands pat ponchero: checks roxhan: checks guilut: bets $0.50ponchero: calls $0.50roxhan: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***guilut: shows [3s 4h 2c 5d 8c] (Lo: 8,5,4,3,2)ponchero: shows [2s 4c 3d 5h 8d] (Lo: 8,5,4,3,2)roxhan: mucks hand ponchero collected $3 from potguilut collected $2.95 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $6.25 | Rake $0.30 Seat 1: corythebest folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 2: Toldol folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 3: roxhan mucked [Ts 2d 8s 4d 6d]Seat 4: guilut (button) showed [3s 4h 2c 5d 8c] and won ($2.95) with Lo: 8,5,4,3,2Seat 5: ponchero (small blind) showed [2s 4c 3d 5h 8d] and won ($3) with Lo: 8,5,4,3,2Seat 6: danny purse (big blind) folded before the Draw
I usually 3-bet or fold anything from any position besides the BB, I also think ponchero played the hand WAY to nitty.On a side note, Barry and Daniel will be playing some 400/800 8 game mix later tonight at 6:00 PST (what is this in relation to ET? I might rail) if you some of you guys havn't heard.
i think he can raise the end and possibly 3b or fold predraw, but i can't say that for sure obv.
Yea I really meant postdraw.Also, sigh @ that guy dropping about 50BB before leaving, and I got like none of it. I really wish fpdb would get some basic draw support added, because there would have been some hilarious stats. He played every single hand, and showed down literally 95% of the 65 or so hands.
I usually 3-bet or fold anything from any position besides the BB, I also think ponchero played the hand WAY to nitty.On a side note, Barry and Daniel will be playing some 400/800 8 game mix later tonight at 6:00 PST (what is this in relation to ET? I might rail) if you some of you guys havn't heard.
9pm est, i might watch if i'm not getting high and staring at stuff.
You know that I used to be a 3betting machine, but I think there is plenty of room for cold-calling in 3d, as long as you are balanced.Thanks for the heads up on that match.