Dfw Dead.

Not to de-rail this thread into Rand chat, by why is it that hardcore subjectivists never acknowledge the stone cold facts.. that rand was a terrible, predictible, insufferable writer, whom if you strip the overt politics, economics and philosophy from, turns into cut rate romantic ( in the style sense, not as in the genre sense) adventure writing. I swear to god, she's the most boring and crappy novelist I've ever read.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Reardan half-raped her too, didn't he? God I love Ayn Rand sex scenes.
I don't remember that, exactly, but I do remember the overt cuckolding over Reardon, when John Galt asserted his Bull right to Dagney, which I imagine was echo'd in Rand's real life, as I've heard her marriage was um.. extremely open.
I don't remember that, exactly, but I do remember the overt cuckolding over Reardon, when John Galt asserted his Bull right to Dagney, which I imagine was echo'd in Rand's real life, as I've heard her marriage was um.. extremely open.
Yeah, she actually formed some of her later views on "love" to justify that fact that she was always cheating on her husband, in my opinion.
I actually know hardcore democrats who like her writing just...like...as "fun" books. It's sad. (For what it's worth, I'm sure I'm on record in early book threads defending her skillz.)
Oh, I'm sure they do, because they read like Clancy or Grisham, but you don't have to feel guilty about reading Rand because it's serious literature. And I kind of miss the objectivist Dutch, it was so cute.One of the stupidest things about Rand, I thought, was how she thought that Gold should be the basis of any economic system, because gold has objective value. Really? A metal that's primary use is for ornamentation has objective value? Really?
Oh, I'm sure they do, because they read like Clancy or Grisham, but you don't have to feel guilty about reading Rand because it's serious literature. And I kind of miss the objectivist Dutch, it was so cute.One of the stupidest things about Rand, I thought, was how she thought that Gold should be the basis of any economic system, because gold has objective value. Really? A metal that's primary use is for ornamentation has objective value? Really?
Greenspan I think it was had an essay explaining how that was wrong, but that ya' gotta' pick somethin', so it might as well be gold. I recall it took a lot longer, but said little more than that. In defense of my objectivism, (a) it's SO close to being correct, and (b) people who tried to talk me out of it always used completely stupid arguments that didn't even make sense.
Greenspan I think it was had an essay explaining how that was wrong, but that ya' gotta' pick somethin', so it might as well be gold. I recall it took a lot longer, but said little more than that. In defense of my objectivism, (a) it's SO close to being correct, and (b) people who tried to talk me out of it always used completely stupid arguments that didn't even make sense.
Well, sign me up for rational selfishness, as far as all that goes. It's just the ludicrous claims of objective truth that I had an issue with.
/restart cute avatar talk and declarations of drunkenness Interpolation
I hate to correct your code, but I believe the slash means "end." What you would probably want is ">," indicating a new command (is that correct?). And if chrozzo already went to bed, try "sudo restart cute avatar talk and declarations of drunkenness interpolation," which in theory would force his return, regardless of his will.
I hate to correct your code, but I believe the slash means "end." What you would probably want is ">," indicating a new command (is that correct?). And if chrozzo already went to bed, try "sudo restart cute avatar talk and declarations of drunkenness interpolation," which in theory would force his return, regardless of his will.
hmmmmm I think I'll just set him on fire instead.
  • 1 year later...
One of the stupidest things about Rand, I thought, was how she thought that Gold should be the basis of any economic system, because gold has objective value. Really? A metal that's primary use is for ornamentation has objective value? Really?
just reading through this thread and thought i should pwn this undue criticism here. apologies if you have already corrected your thinking. first of all, ornamentation IS an objective value. all cultures that have ever existed ornamented things. gold specifically has a certain shine, color, and texture to it that people find pleasing. those ARE objective values. aesthetic pleasure is an objective value to humans. secondly, ALL metals are objectively valuable in general. that should be obvious. they can be formed, are stronger than rock ect. lastly, gold is resistant to oxidative corrosion. thats why its used on electronic connections like instrument cables, headphone plugs, some wires, and other stuff like that.now, gold would work well (and has) as a standard of value because it is limited and labor-intensive to create more of (by mining). as opposed to our current standard of value which is paper money who's supply can be arbitrarily changed by the government on whim. as you can see, our current system holds something much less objectively valuable and physical as the basis for economics. if your thinking is so far off on this matter i can see why you would dismiss rand. her "cute" ideas seem to be out of your league.
just reading through this thread and thought i should pwn this undue criticism here. apologies if you have already corrected your thinking. first of all, ornamentation IS an objective value. all cultures that have ever existed ornamented things. gold specifically has a certain shine, color, and texture to it that people find pleasing. those ARE objective values. aesthetic pleasure is an objective value to humans. secondly, ALL metals are objectively valuable in general. that should be obvious. they can be formed, are stronger than rock ect. lastly, gold is resistant to oxidative corrosion. thats why its used on electronic connections like instrument cables, headphone plugs, some wires, and other stuff like that.now, gold would work well (and has) as a standard of value because it is limited and labor-intensive to create more of (by mining). as opposed to our current standard of value which is paper money who's supply can be arbitrarily changed by the government on whim. as you can see, our current system holds something much less objectively valuable and physical as the basis for economics. if your thinking is so far off on this matter i can see why you would dismiss rand. her "cute" ideas seem to be out of your league.
OH SNAP.Another RAND vs ~RAND. These are always fun.
OH SNAP.Another RAND vs ~RAND. These are always fun.
There's going to be no Rand vs ~Rand, on my part at least, i've had enough of those to last me a life time.. and Don's post is so full of face palms, that it makes my skin crawl even considering jumping in. I will say, if you want to start an objectivist debate, start your own god damn thread, don't clutter up DFW's thread with your propaganda.
There's going to be no Rand vs ~Rand, on my part at least, i've had enough of those to last me a life time.. and Don's post is so full of face palms, that it makes my skin crawl even considering jumping in. I will say, if you want to start an objectivist debate, start your own god damn thread, don't clutter up DFW's thread with your propaganda.
typical. the reason you hate debating might be because it forces you to actually back up assertions. we weren't even debating objectivism, just your misunderstanding of gold and economics. i just think its funny that one of your biggest problems with rand is based on something you have completely wrong. its laughable really, all this verbiage about how dumb she is and it turns out you're clueless.i wouldnt even consider myself an objectivist and am not interested in debating the philosophy, but dont think that your bullshit will work on me where you just claim things and then try to insult anyone who embarrasses you like i just did.please, recontinue this thread however you want. ive only come here to deride you a little bit and with that... im off.
typical. the reason you hate debating might be because it forces you to actually back up assertions. we weren't even debating objectivism, just your misunderstanding of gold and economics. i just think its funny that one of your biggest problems with rand is based on something you have completely wrong. its laughable really, all this verbiage about how dumb she is and it turns out you're clueless.i wouldnt even consider myself an objectivist and am not interested in debating the philosophy, but dont think that your bullshit will work on me where you just claim things and then try to insult anyone who embarrasses you like i just did.please, recontinue this thread however you want. ive only come here to deride you a little bit and with that... im off.
jayzgas_face2.jpg

Who are those people? If I had to take a wild guess, it would be Alicia Keys and [insert famous rapper] Let's go with 50cent.