3-bet Preflop, Hit The Monster. How To Play It?

Blinds are 300-600, about 25 players remain, pays to top 6. Hero has an average chip stack size of about 10,000, Villain covers by about double that, and has a tight-aggressive image.Hero is BB with 9 :ts 9 :heart:All folds to button who raises to 1500. SB folds, hero re-raises to 3500.Flop: A :club: K :D 9 :diamond:Hero, with about 6500 behind and pot at 7000....?I see three options here.1) Go all-in because it may look like hero is trying to steal his way out with AQ, QQ, JJ, plus flop is likely to have hit villain's range.2) Bet about half of hero's remaining stack, trying to price villain in.3) Go for the check-raise.What would you do?

How aggressive is the opps - would he take a shot at the pot with a check on the flop? If you're not sure why risk a ck-thru?With flush and str8 possibilites plus the A &/or K probable holdings I don't think slowplaying the set is necessary or advised. Since an all-in is often seen as a weaker play than betting half your stack (which would pot commit you anyway) a shove would work often enough. Althou the 1/2 stack bet would look like a c-bet, he doesn't need to worry about (flush) draw odds as you can't bet enough on the turn with your remaining stack to deny him proper odds to call. If he has an Ace he'll likely call either and if he doesn't he wasn't going to invest anymore anyway unless he's also going a draw with a piece of that flop - KdQd for example

If the villain was doing a button steal with ATC and therefore doesnt have an A or K or a diamond draw I dont think this is the type of board he will attempt to take away from you after you 3 bet pre.So I think checking is definately the worse play.I would just push. If he has an Ace all the money is going in which ever play you do and same if he has KdQd.Here I think a push looks weeker than a half pot bet.

Why don't you just make it like 4500 pre and open shove any flop?
Yeah, this sounds about right. Villains range after your 3bet should be calling a lot of your shovels.

Get money in, make them pay for the flush/str8 draws. Also, you seem pretty sure they don't have better set than you. How sure are you?I say shove and hope another D doesn't hit and/or tjhe board pairs up. Anything less than that is criminal.By the way, with a board like that, 999 may seem like a monster but it still loses to str8s and flushes. Flop a boat? Now, that's a monster...Edit: Saw Cop's post and I like that a little better, but I think Villain gets priced in with a shove (13.5K pot with 6.5K to call is 2 to 1, which a lot of people like, esp if they percieve a steal attempt). Also, if Villain flat calls and a D or a str8 card comes, you could get screwed. If you bet 4.5K to price V in and lose the pot , you'll have 2K left (or maybe felted if you can't lay it down to an obvious str8/flush). If you shove the flop and Villain folds, you have 13.5K.

Get money in, make them pay for the flush/str8 draws. Also, you seem pretty sure they don't have better set than you. How sure are you?
You would think he would 4 bet with AA or KK pre so I think its safe to say we have the best hand on the flop wouldn't you think?
You would think he would 4 bet with AA or KK pre so I think its safe to say we have the best hand on the flop wouldn't you think?
Not if he's TAG and trappy...but, yes, I would certainly say we have the best hand on the flop, but it's a pretty draw heavy board.

Its close between shoving and half stack bets when villain is on a draw, because he may think hes got proper odds when in fact hes a bit short. The problem is I dont see him on a draw very often with the preflop betting. If we're ahead here its most likely to Aces, Kings, or underpair. Just as I dont read them for a draw they shouldnt be reading you for a draw, and they will realize their hand is second best way too often if you make them think about it. The half bet looks weaker here, imo, trying to buy the pot but retain some chips when you lose. Its much more instinctive to auto call less than an all in with good hands.

Its close between shoving and half stack bets when villain is on a draw, because he may think hes got proper odds when in fact hes a bit short. The problem is I dont see him on a draw very often with the preflop betting. If we're ahead here its most likely to Aces, Kings, or underpair. Just as I dont read them for a draw they shouldnt be reading you for a draw, and they will realize their hand is second best way too often if you make them think about it. The half bet looks weaker here, imo, trying to buy the pot but retain some chips when you lose. Its much more instinctive to auto call less than an all in with good hands.
Good read, sir, as usual...

Well my view of this is you definately shouldn't check raise because as someone stated earlier if he did hit or has Pocket 10s or Js you are giving him a free card that would ruin your tournament life if it hit, and everyone knows playing Russin Roulette just isn't fun. Now in the case of which bet looks weaker I'm pretty sure they would both look like weak bets in his eyes if he did hit the board, especially because to him it might look like a resteal.Personally though I would go all-in. This is because if he did hit anything he will raise you all-in anyway if you do a 4,500 bet simply because he still has a decent stack size if he is wrong, or at least enough that if he plays well he can get his money back. Also if he was just trying to steal and he folds, then you are getting money you wouldn't have in the first place.Verdict in my opinion: Go all-in and pray to god he dosnt hit any of any of his possible outs

Thanks for all the responses so far.If I were to go all in, it would not be to drive out draws. For one I don't have villain put on a draw here, unless he has Kx of diamonds, in which case he's not folding no matter what. The strategy behind the all-in play would be that the flop should have hit villain's range hard, the all-in is only about a PSB, and it is more likely to look like buying my way out with something mediocre like QQ, JJ, TT, etc.The half-stack bet makes it harder for villain to fold an A or K, but a savvy player would see the smaller bet as stronger than the shove. The check play would be terrible, I just included it for sake of completeness. Any last thoughts before I post results?