Post Under A Joke Account If You Must...

I'm in the theatre business, so maybe -- just maybe -- I work with more gay men than most, but our entire office watches Project Runway. We usually get together over drinks at someone's house and make fun of the clothes and the people.Is every last one of you too much of a macho, macho man to admit you watch it? Somebody here must be secure in their sexual identity and unapologetic for their viewing habits. I mean, hell, I watched _Rock of Love_ even though I felt like I might catch a disease through the TV every time I saw it.Anyway, this crop of designers includes a girl who is determined to channel Bettie Page, one who looks like she just wandered off the set of _Juno_, one guy with a blue mohawk who calls himself "Suede" and speaks of himself in the third person, and one guy who uses so much self-tanner he looks like something a sick Oompa Loompa hacked up. Oh, yes, and a woman obsessed with leather, who looks exactly like a Cher made of leather, and who has the most perfect Queens accent since _All in the Family_. Oompa Loompa was making fun of her last week, actually being pretty funny when he said, "My husband is made of leth-uh. All my children came out leth-uh," and then telling her, "Don't be mad -- I love your leth-uh."Admit your PR love -- how else could you have known about Top Chef???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really care about project runway, I don't care about high fashion in the slightest. I do love Top Chef, and I tried to get into Top Design, as I think design is more interesting than fashion. I have several friends who are into it, some of them happen to be homosexual, and I've watched it with some of them a few times, and while it was funny, I just didn't care about the subject matter enough.Also, is there anything more rediculous than "Top Cut" or whatever that Bravo hair cut challenge thing is. They are really scraping the bottom of the reality challenge barrell when you get competitive hairstyling.

My tv show tastes are immensly gay and it's been documented, but I have yet to watch this show. For no other reason than I have a busy tivo schedule as it is. I just wanted to add that.

I watch this show. only seen bits and pieces of the first two seasons but I watched all of the last two. those marathons really suck you inI saw a couple episodes of this season's Top Cut and I agree it's mostly mehI do think Flipping Out and Million Dollar Listing are fairly interesting at times. But, I'm really a Top Chef and Project Runway guy. Top Design didn't really grab me but I'm sure I would've enjoyed it if I watched it.

My best friend, who claims to be straight (and he is) watches most of the shows on Bravo. The thing is, he hates all of that kind of stuff. He doesn't like fashion, he doesn't like cooking (he watches one of those cooking shows) and he doesn't really enjoye the subject of the other shows he watches.He told me to watch Project Runway and I did (I must brag here-I think one of my best social characteristics is that if somebody reccomends a TV show to me, I'll watch it. I know plenty of people who I can beg to watch a show because I know they'd love it, but they don't. However, if somebody tells me to try out a show, I'll watch it even if I'm pretty sure I'd hate it). Anyways..it sucked. For the life of me, I don't see how people would like that show, unless they know one of the people on the show. I told my friend this. I reminded him that fashion is not one of his interests and there is nothing about the show he would like. Then he asked how is that different than liking Man vs. Wild or Deadliest Catch when we hate fishing and camping or wilderness activities. However, I think this is a bad argument. Man vs. Wild and Deadliest Catch are shows about adventure, bonding and brotherly love, and survival. Project Runway is not.

My best friend, who claims to be straight (and he is) watches most of the shows on Bravo. The thing is, he hates all of that kind of stuff. He doesn't like fashion, he doesn't like cooking (he watches one of those cooking shows) and he doesn't really enjoye the subject of the other shows he watches.He told me to watch Project Runway and I did (I must brag here-I think one of my best social characteristics is that if somebody reccomends a TV show to me, I'll watch it. I know plenty of people who I can beg to watch a show because I know they'd love it, but they don't. However, if somebody tells me to try out a show, I'll watch it even if I'm pretty sure I'd hate it). Anyways..it sucked. For the life of me, I don't see how people would like that show, unless they know one of the people on the show. I told my friend this. I reminded him that fashion is not one of his interests and there is nothing about the show he would like. Then he asked how is that different than liking Man vs. Wild or Deadliest Catch when we hate fishing and camping or wilderness activities. However, I think this is a bad argument. Man vs. Wild and Deadliest Catch are shows about adventure, bonding and brotherly love, and survival. Project Runway is not.
Well, there's the two pronged appeal of it, you have the typical reality show drama, the good guys the bad guys, the behind the curtain peak into their lives, and tensions and cat fights, watching people melt under pressure, watching psychos interact. Then, there's the added thing of competition.. and many of the people who compete in these shows are not competitive by nature, but some of them are and are extremely ruthless and cut throat, and causes the more fragile minded people to cry and weep and melt down. In general, competitions of many different kinds can be somewhat compelling. Me, I have to be interested in the topic to really get into it. I like cooking, so I enjoy the cooking shows ( though I think Iron Chef, for my money, is the greatest of these). But I can see how people could be sucked into the drama of these and other reality shows.
my girlfriend made me watch a few episodes when she was here last. I thought it was okay, but I just don't have the patience for reality TV in general.
I didn't make you watch it. The situation was that I was watching it in your living room, so if you wanted to sit on your couch or be near me you couldn't avoid watching it too. I later realised how annoying that must have been for you, you probably should have distracted me with food or something. I just needed to watch it continually until I found out who won. I am excited for this new series, no spoilers please, thank you.

Yea I watch this show...but because its a compromise with my wife. We only have one TV hooked up to cable right now and monday I make her sit through Monday Night RAW and Weds she makes me sit through Project and Shear Genius. It sucks but its all good. I float in and out of paying attention. Mostly I just play on my laptop. All I know is that this douche that talks about him in the 3rd person makes me want to punch him in the face.

BigD, I hope you're talking about the Japanese Iron Chef. I adored it. I can't get into the American one, though -- if I surf across it during the tasting, I'll stop to watch, but otherwise keep going. I was so bummed when Food Network canceled the Japanese version.I've caught a little Flipping Out, but the guy's such a schmuck. Shear Genius truly is scraping the bottom of the barrel, although I'll admit the contestants can suck me in sometimes.I don't care about high fashion either, but the editing on PR is genius -- I think it's one of the best-edited shows on television, because it's all about making a dress, but while you get glimpses of the dresses being made, you actually don't really have any idea how any of them are going to look until the runway show, because the editing is so tight. That keeps up the suspense of seeing whether or not something will be a disaster. Then there's the suave intellectual/mother hen Tim Gunn. You never know what he's going to say, but the moment he says it you know he's dead on. But mostly it's the drama of the designers, who can be freaks and drama queens and, like BigD says, you get to see people who might not be competitive in their own little studio turn into vicious cut-throats in a group, while the tender souls melt.Top Chef has captured me, too, but not like Runway. However, they seem to be paired up at the very top of the Bravo "let's-torture-creative-people" reality show lineup. Everything else is a steep step down. When I was a Jeopardy contestant, I found out that Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune have exactly the same behind the scenes staff -- they work two days a week on one show, two days a week on the other show, and one day on editing them both. I wonder if Top Chef and PR have the same backstage staff, particularly the editors, since one begins exactly as the other ends and since they're so similarly high-quality, while all the rest are just "from the network that brought you Project Runway..." Isn't Top Chef "from the producers of Project Runway"?I won't say who's in or out, in case LadyGrey hasn't seen it yet, but I can say Stelluh's wet-leather-blanket outlook is rapidly getting annoying. All she does is complain.

BigD, I hope you're talking about the Japanese Iron Chef. I adored it. I can't get into the American one, though -- if I surf across it during the tasting, I'll stop to watch, but otherwise keep going. I was so bummed when Food Network canceled the Japanese version.
Food Network really didn't "cancel" it.. it was an Original Japanese show that originally aired years ago, and the Food Network just re aired it. Every once in a while you can catch it late night. I watch the american version, but it doesn't really have the "high camp" value. Still, watching "Morimoto" cook is always a joy, that guy is a absolute genius.After watching season 2 of top chef, and becoming a huge Marcel fan ( He got f-ing robbed, that season was so rigged) I've become fascinated with "Molecular gastronomy" and wish they'd do a series on it or something, it's really mind blowing some of the stuff those type of chefs make.

Yeah, i watched project Runway, I'm entertained, they just find the most flaming designers in history throw them in a room and hilarity ensues. Also, Project Runway did lead me to watch Top Chef and then the other reality/game shows, but only the former do I watch regularly.

Heidi Klum FT (mutha phuckin) W
Well, she is a mother and you do want to ---until she opens her mouth. Every time she has to raise her voice, it gets incredibly grating and screechy. She has a voice for modeling, no doubt.
BigD, I hope you're talking about the Japanese Iron Chef. I adored it. I can't get into the American one, though -- if I surf across it during the tasting, I'll stop to watch, but otherwise keep going. I was so bummed when Food Network canceled the Japanese version.I've caught a little Flipping Out, but the guy's such a schmuck. Shear Genius truly is scraping the bottom of the barrel, although I'll admit the contestants can suck me in sometimes.I don't care about high fashion either, but the editing on PR is genius -- I think it's one of the best-edited shows on television, because it's all about making a dress, but while you get glimpses of the dresses being made, you actually don't really have any idea how any of them are going to look until the runway show, because the editing is so tight. That keeps up the suspense of seeing whether or not something will be a disaster. Then there's the suave intellectual/mother hen Tim Gunn. You never know what he's going to say, but the moment he says it you know he's dead on. But mostly it's the drama of the designers, who can be freaks and drama queens and, like BigD says, you get to see people who might not be competitive in their own little studio turn into vicious cut-throats in a group, while the tender souls melt.Top Chef has captured me, too, but not like Runway. However, they seem to be paired up at the very top of the Bravo "let's-torture-creative-people" reality show lineup. Everything else is a steep step down. When I was a Jeopardy contestant, I found out that Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune have exactly the same behind the scenes staff -- they work two days a week on one show, two days a week on the other show, and one day on editing them both. I wonder if Top Chef and PR have the same backstage staff, particularly the editors, since one begins exactly as the other ends and since they're so similarly high-quality, while all the rest are just "from the network that brought you Project Runway..." Isn't Top Chef "from the producers of Project Runway"?I won't say who's in or out, in case LadyGrey hasn't seen it yet, but I can say Stelluh's wet-leather-blanket outlook is rapidly getting annoying. All she does is complain.
Very well hidden brag post!

I like the American Iron Chef.I like Alton.And english.Though I only really watch Bobby Flay episodes. Mario and Morimoto if the ingredient is good. Never Cat Cora. I wish they had more with the new guy though.

Very well hidden brag post!
Why, thank you! [i lost.]Actuary, I misread "Top Sewer" as, of course, "Top Soo-er" and was like, whaaa? Then I realized it was "Soh-er" and got it. This coming Wednesday, it will be Zen green tea liqueur and lemonade for the libations (gay drink for a gay show).
I like the American Iron Chef.I like Alton.And english.Though I only really watch Bobby Flay episodes. Mario and Morimoto if the ingredient is good. Never Cat Cora. I wish they had more with the new guy though.
How can you not like Morimoto? The man's a mad genius! Particularly his Iron Chef Japanese performances, his Japanese cooking was revolutionary and controversial. I loved it when traditional japanese chefs would trash talk him, and challenge him