2008 National Sports Collectors Convention

(since we have eleventy gajillion Chi people here)...I'll be there. Going to be so, so sick. Saved up a few grand to blow this year.Biggie for me is going to be meeting Musial. He's 87, so I don't think there will be too many chances to do that. He actually charges more for an in-person sig than they bring on the secondary market (he's been a very prolific signer), but I don't ****ing care. Can't wait to meet him and shake his hand before the old cat kicks off. Also plan on getting Bo Jackson, Bob Gibson, Jim Brown, Gordie Howe and Fergie Jenkins (he's the one "good" free one).Main focus will be on buying Prewar vintage stuff in good shape.Anyway, if anyone else is going, I'll be the tall fat guy wearing the Modano North Stars jersey. Say hello and mention that you're from FCP and you get a prize! (ill urinate on your leg) .

I used to care about it, grew up and ceased caring, but then started caring again. I try to keep a sense of fun and whimsy in my life, since everything else about the human condition is such a nut filled turd. Sports does that. It's escapist, but it's a needed component of my life. Without it, I'd be mean.

I used to care about it, grew up and ceased caring, but then started caring again. I try to keep a sense of fun and whimsy in my life, since everything else about the human condition is such a nut filled turd. Sports does that. It's escapist, but it's a needed component of my life. Without it, I'd be mean.
I've been thinking about getting into baseball cards again. I gave away all mine a few years back.Where would you suggest I start?Go for one of those box sets with the entire league? Or start with individual cards?

Now's a good time to start, since the prices are so low. Definitely start with singles. Packs are so hugely -ev that there isn't ever a reason to buy them. They're basically like a really tight slot machine.My big thing is buying up all the cards I couldn't afford as a kid (80's guys). I'm pretty close to being there, so now, I'm working on other areas of interest (every Stan Musial card in good condition, every Bob Gibson, etc).I've always had a big bone for baseball history, so the old-old stuff is really appealing, but if you dig the newer stuff, the options are big. Nowadays, game-used cards (cards with little pieces of game used memorabilia integrated into the card) and certified autographs are everywhere. Didn't have those when I was a kid.Pay 0% attention to "book value" and 100% attention to ebay prices. The two are often hugely different.

Now's a good time to start, since the prices are so low. Definitely start with singles. Packs are so hugely -ev that there isn't ever a reason to buy them. They're basically like a really tight slot machine.My big thing is buying up all the cards I couldn't afford as a kid (80's guys). I'm pretty close to being there, so now, I'm working on other areas of interest (every Stan Musial card in good condition, every Bob Gibson, etc).I've always had a big bone for baseball history, so the old-old stuff is really appealing, but if you dig the newer stuff, the options are big. Nowadays, game-used cards (cards with little pieces of game used memorabilia integrated into the card) and certified autographs are everywhere. Didn't have those when I was a kid.
Yeah. Thanks. I think I might do something similar. But with Pujols. And various other Cardinals players and some Yankees too.
Stan Musial? Really? Now if they had Ted Williams frozen head, I'd be there with bells on.
Now there's a piece of collectors memorablia. I wonder if in maybe, 1000 years, there will be a baseball/ Christianity hybrid cult, and Ted william's head will be the most sacred relic.

His head supposedly cracked into numerous pieces during the cryo process according to the SI article... Kinda disturbing.Wouldn't have cared much if it were Mantle or Kirby Puckett or someone like that, but not Teddy, for ****s sake. Let the greatest pure hitter to ever live rest in peace.

I always grew up with a little fondness for The Man. Supposedly when I was a kid he personally signed a framed photo of himself for me in my presence. I of course was too young to remember. It's currently hanging up on my wall.

I loved collecting when I was younger but I got out around 98 when the market became so diluted. I still dabble in the older stuff. I've got every Brooks Robinson card ever issued. It started when I met him in Indy back when the Indy show was one of the biggest in the country. He was one hell of a nice guy and gave me a free autograph(I was about 10 years old). Is the market on vintage stuff on the downswing?