** FCHL's Toronto Rocket - Official Thread **

With all the pats on the back you have gotten, I feel it's my job to keep you grounded to keep your ego from growing to serge like proportions.Consider this:As of Nov. 28, the Tulane Flyers and Halifax Moneyshots have both put up more total points in FCHL games than your team. Their records are 7-17-1 and 7-15-3 respectively, while yours is 13-10-2. The two teams that you're immediately ahead of (Hurricanes and asdfjkl;) both have twice the goals for that you have, but somehow find themselves behind you in the standings. How you've managed to do this is beyond me, especially since you haven't gotten especially lucky with goals against, like I have been. You seem to remind me of the vancouver canucks two years ago.
i didnt realise this. that is actually pretty incredible! just goes to show why these kinda leagues are the greatest around.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup, just got accepted into a program at Ryerson for the fall.

You're welcome.

With all the pats on the back you have gotten, I feel it's my job to keep you grounded to keep your ego from growing to serge like proportions.Consider this:As of Nov. 28, the Tulane Flyers and Halifax Moneyshots have both put up more total points in FCHL games than your team. Their records are 7-17-1 and 7-15-3 respectively, while yours is 13-10-2. The two teams that you're immediately ahead of (Hurricanes and asdfjkl;) both have twice the goals for that you have, but somehow find themselves behind you in the standings. How you've managed to do this is beyond me, especially since you haven't gotten especially lucky with goals against, like I have been. You seem to remind me of the vancouver canucks two years ago.
one of these days, you guys are gonna realize what actually wins games in these pools, and why.all kinds of lightbulbs going off then.its ok Zach, most guys like Division Supreme leading Nell dont have a clue why teams win and why they lose. The fact that he thinks its important the number of pts people score on FCHL nights is important pretty much cements that theory.
I don't know what any of this means.I just know that I've won more than I've lost so far. I don't necessarily expect that to maintain for the entire year, but you never know. I also know, that going through the schedule, I haven't exaclty been putting up the worst score ever, and still getting lucky to win. I'm putting up scores that beat my opponents. Winning by .5 is worth the same as winning by 5, imho. I still haven't gone through all the games to look, I may do it at some point, but I'm not putting up 0.5s and winning while my opponents are all losing with 4.0s. I guess a few times where I've lost I've put up exactly zero production, but that's fine. Losing by 10 is the same as losing by 0.5. I'm not sure I understand the significance of your total points assessment, nor do I know where you find this. :club:

I went through the schedule a bit, and there were a few games that stood out.10/28 - Win with the top score of the night, out of the 14 teams in action.10/30 - Win with the 13th best score11/2 - Lose with the 4th best score11/15 - Win with the 12th best scoreMy average rank, out of 14 teams, is 8th, in terms of total points, which basically falls right about where I'd expect it to. The reason I'm sitting in 7th can be explained by the couple times I got lucky with my matchup. I certainly don't expect my team to be holding a playoff spot for long. My team is probably a 9-11 place team, and that's what I expect. I think there's an outside chance to make the playoffs, and it's small as hell, but with some luck, anything is possible in this format.I think it's pretty obvious to most, the 8 most likely playoff teams are asdfjkl;, Broadway, Maroons, Rinswun, Whalers, Lost Cause, Hurricanes, and Wheat Ales. Outside of the top 8, there are teams that could challenge, a few closer than others. If one team gets lucky a few times, and one of the top 8 falters a bit with injuries, bad luck, etc, it's possibly one gets unseeded, it's not likely.I doubt you were serious, Nell, but I have no ego here. I fully expect my team to finish outside the playoffs, but I think my team is still better than most expected at the beginning of the season, and has shown it so far, that's all. If I get lucky to make the playoffs, so be it. If I go through a long slump in December and/or January, then guys like Demitra, Knuble, Blake, etc get moved, and we move to next year. I don't see any reason to not push for the playoffs right now, it just makes it more fun. :)I'm not really sure what to make of the total points thing, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with the margin of victory. It's pretty clear a team like mine isn't very often going to blow anyone out. My wins come from scrapping it out on shorter nights, and using my depth when my opponents star has a bad night, or doesn't play altogether. Any wins on deeper nights are generally a result of playing a team of similar skill to mine, like a Moneyshots, or an Injured Reserve, and just winning the coinflip, I suppose.Anyways, I'm ranting, but I'm a bit of a numbers guy, so I wanted to take a look. I didn't think I'd been overly lucky with my matchups or anything, and this just showed what I'd already thought. I figured I'd been putting up average, or slightly below, numbers, and that's what I get.The best part about my team, though, is that the players that I think should be the best on my team, are underperforming. I was expecting more than 4 points from Steen, and more than 4 goals from Sykora. Staal has been streaky, etc. Biggest disappointment of all, has been my goaltending, specifically Calgary. Of course, some of my guys are overperforming. Samuelsson is probably not a point per game player, although lots of guys would be playing with Zetterberg and Franzen. Same story for Weight, but he was always a wildcard for me.My team model, though, accounts for hot streaks, and cold streaks. I have more than enough depth, that if a guy like Miettinen or Sykora goes cold, one of Zubrus, Lupul, Staal, etc will heat up and I can make an easy lineup switch. I usually spend hours checking the streaks, etc, when setting my lineups, and I'd guess that helps add an extra half-point here or there, and certainly helped me pull out a win or two so far. Luckily for me, I'm obsessive enough, and have enough time to do that. :club:

I went through the schedule a bit, and there were a few games that stood out.10/28 - Win with the top score of the night, out of the 14 teams in action.10/30 - Win with the 13th best score11/2 - Lose with the 4th best score11/15 - Win with the 12th best scoreMy average rank, out of 14 teams, is 8th, in terms of total points, which basically falls right about where I'd expect it to. The reason I'm sitting in 7th can be explained by the couple times I got lucky with my matchup. I certainly don't expect my team to be holding a playoff spot for long. My team is probably a 9-11 place team, and that's what I expect. I think there's an outside chance to make the playoffs, and it's small as hell, but with some luck, anything is possible in this format.I think it's pretty obvious to most, the 8 most likely playoff teams are asdfjkl;, Broadway, Maroons, Rinswun, Whalers, Lost Cause, Hurricanes, and Wheat Ales. Outside of the top 8, there are teams that could challenge, a few closer than others. If one team gets lucky a few times, and one of the top 8 falters a bit with injuries, bad luck, etc, it's possibly one gets unseeded, it's not likely.I doubt you were serious, Nell, but I have no ego here. I fully expect my team to finish outside the playoffs, but I think my team is still better than most expected at the beginning of the season, and has shown it so far, that's all. If I get lucky to make the playoffs, so be it. If I go through a long slump in December and/or January, then guys like Demitra, Knuble, Blake, etc get moved, and we move to next year. I don't see any reason to not push for the playoffs right now, it just makes it more fun. :)I'm not really sure what to make of the total points thing, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with the margin of victory. It's pretty clear a team like mine isn't very often going to blow anyone out. My wins come from scrapping it out on shorter nights, and using my depth when my opponents star has a bad night, or doesn't play altogether. Any wins on deeper nights are generally a result of playing a team of similar skill to mine, like a Moneyshots, or an Injured Reserve, and just winning the coinflip, I suppose.Anyways, I'm ranting, but I'm a bit of a numbers guy, so I wanted to take a look. I didn't think I'd been overly lucky with my matchups or anything, and this just showed what I'd already thought. I figured I'd been putting up average, or slightly below, numbers, and that's what I get.The best part about my team, though, is that the players that I think should be the best on my team, are underperforming. I was expecting more than 4 points from Steen, and more than 4 goals from Sykora. Staal has been streaky, etc. Biggest disappointment of all, has been my goaltending, specifically Calgary. Of course, some of my guys are overperforming. Samuelsson is probably not a point per game player, although lots of guys would be playing with Zetterberg and Franzen. Same story for Weight, but he was always a wildcard for me.My team model, though, accounts for hot streaks, and cold streaks. I have more than enough depth, that if a guy like Miettinen or Sykora goes cold, one of Zubrus, Lupul, Staal, etc will heat up and I can make an easy lineup switch. I usually spend hours checking the streaks, etc, when setting my lineups, and I'd guess that helps add an extra half-point here or there, and certainly helped me pull out a win or two so far. Luckily for me, I'm obsessive enough, and have enough time to do that. :club:
I only read the first 5 words of Zach's post. WAY TO PUT HIM ON TILT NELL!!!! I so knew it was coming. welcome to the FCHL Zach.
one of these days, you guys are gonna realize what actually wins games in these pools, and why.all kinds of lightbulbs going off then.its ok Zach, most guys like Division Supreme leading Nell dont have a clue why teams win and why they lose. The fact that he thinks its important the number of pts people score on FCHL nights is important pretty much cements that theory.
lol, and yet you try to maintain that you aren't cocky or arrogant. You're right, it doesn't matter at all how much you score in FCHL games. All that matters is if you're in the Gilmour division or not.Zach, Dave does a nice job keeping track of GF and GA here: http://realfantasysports.net/fchl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449
lol, and yet you try to maintain that you aren't cocky or arrogant. You're right, it doesn't matter at all how much you score in FCHL games. All that matters is if you're in the Gilmour division or not.
your right, that is all that matters. I'll stick up for our newest member anytime. :club:

Ya, sigh, he's got 3 now, and my Flyers let me down.Oh well.I've got a 4-2.5 goal lead right now, but I need to fade 2 periods of Lecavalier, 2 periods of Marleau, 1 period of Koivu, and 3 periods of my own goalies. I've got 3 periods of Demitra, and 2 periods of Blake. Arp also has a couple periods of some defensemen, and 2 periods of his own goalies.Basically, he's got every chance in the world to come back here.

Ugh! Koivu and Lecavalier with quick goals, and we're tied, but I lose the OT. I need a point from Blake and my goalies to be flawless, or a Demitra goal, as the only one against Calgary.Still need to fade Marleau and Vinny. Not looking good.

yes, its in your goals for.think of it as every nights final score, just like in NHL standings columns.you win 3-2. 3 GF, 2 GA.
k, just making sure.It's a mildly useless stat, then.I get the same number of points for winning a game 3-2, as I do winning it 8-2, right?edit - between Jay and I, his GF is 80, mine is 45, coming into tonight.edit 2 - 3rd highest score tonight and lose. :club:

I kept track last year of what teams were consistently putting up the best scores, and seeing if it matched up with the standings. It's a better sign of who is lucky and who isn't.If your team scored the most points on a night, you'd get 15 points, all the way down to lowest scoring teams getting 1 point. OT players came into play if 2 or more teams had the same score. If they were still tied, then they would receive the same score. (ie both would get 15, 3rd place would get 13)

I kept track last year of what teams were consistently putting up the best scores, and seeing if it matched up with the standings. It's a better sign of who is lucky and who isn't.If your team scored the most points on a night, you'd get 15 points, all the way down to lowest scoring teams getting 1 point. OT players came into play if 2 or more teams had the same score. If they were still tied, then they would receive the same score. (ie both would get 15, 3rd place would get 13)
Similar to what I did.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...amp;hl=rankings
This thread is clearly not up to date, and apparently never correct.I'm assuming GF is goals + assists in terms of FCHL points?GA is the total goals against in terms of NHL goals?
Dave updates every monday.
gn and gg. You put up a good score tonight, you deserved better.
Na, best team wins. Too much talent for me on a deep night. There's been too many deep nights in November, and I somehow managed to put together decent scores anyways. I need some shorter nights to give me a bit better chance against some of you guys.I got lucky to be in the game as much as I was, I think. I mean, a Derek Morris goal? lol he has 2 in 2 nights, but 3 on the year, hahah.My team is absolutely rolling, though. All this talk about GF and GA is silly, imho. I just keep putting up decent scores. It's been a while since I've put up negatives or smaller numbers. I'm getting good production from the guys I dress, and even better production from the guys I bench, lol.