• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from Eklund:Just got this email and text from two sources in different hemispheres within 3 minutes of one another...#1 THE EMAIL FROM SWEDEN."I am told with certainty that Mats Sundin news is upon us. It is done. Mats is returning. Rangers, Canucks, and Habs are aware of what it will take. But in honesty, Mats will decide based on the best chance to win a Cup in his head. NOT MONEY."#2 THE TEXT MESSAGE FROM TORONTO"Look out NHL, Mats is coming back. Either the Rangers or Canucks. It will come out of nowhere."Now just so that you all know, both of these sources are in my list of sources that is extremely connected to happenings around the NHL and the European Leagues. Neither is connected to any of those teams...well one WAS connected to one of them, but hasn't been now for almost a decade...I will stay on it.

from Eklund:Just got this email and text from two sources in different hemispheres within 3 minutes of one another...#1 THE EMAIL FROM SWEDEN."I am told with certainty that Mats Sundin news is upon us. It is done. Mats is returning. Rangers, Canucks, and Habs are aware of what it will take. But in honesty, Mats will decide based on the best chance to win a Cup in his head. NOT MONEY."#2 THE TEXT MESSAGE FROM TORONTO"Look out NHL, Mats is coming back. Either the Rangers or Canucks. It will come out of nowhere."Now just so that you all know, both of these sources are in my list of sources that is extremely connected to happenings around the NHL and the European Leagues. Neither is connected to any of those teams...well one WAS connected to one of them, but hasn't been now for almost a decade...I will stay on it.
i saw this too....not holding my breath....have seen him say this 459 times in the last 4 months.

I know it has been said that there is ZERO percent chance that Mats will come back here..However I am going to make one last pitch.With the recent modest success of the Leafs, the perfect scenario is for Mats to come play here for another two years.Its obvious that the Leafs are in need of one or two snipers and scorers. I actually believe that with Mats Sundin in the fold for another year and a half,and with a couple of moves this team can have a SHOT at a cup..Yes its propestorous however its true.So please Mats, what about it??

I actually believe that with Mats Sundin in the fold for another year and a half,and with a couple of moves this team can have a SHOT at a cup...
you really dont, do you?unless these moves involve trading for about half the Red Wings.
you really dont, do you?unless these moves involve trading for about half the Red Wings.
no but the moves have to be significant..have to be two big names.When a team can compete with essentially no snipers, if you can add a top line I think they become instant contenders.Thats why its a lot tougher to build a team from the bottom up..YOu cant win with two or 3 allstars, you need a foundation..I think Cliff is well on his way with the players he has put in place, the final piece are the two snipers we need to get..Yes they will have to be big, but we can have room for up to $15 million.
no but the moves have to be significant..have to be two big names.When a team can compete with essentially no snipers, if you can add a top line I think they become instant contenders.Thats why its a lot tougher to build a team from the bottom up..YOu cant win with two or 3 allstars, you need a foundation..I think Cliff is well on his way with the players he has put in place, the final piece are the two snipers we need to get..Yes they will have to be big, but we can have room for up to $15 million.
Cliff has done an excellent job of deconstructing the leafs. He has yet to show one inkling of how he plans to re-construct them.
Cliff has done an excellent job of deconstructing the leafs. He has yet to show one inkling of how he plans to re-construct them.
However dont you agree that , the "easiest" part is to add the bonafide allstars to make the team really competitive?The tough part is to build a foundation, play a system and get the coach to instill it in the players?Dont you honestly believe with Sundin and Kovalchuk(not necessarily these two) this team can legitimately compete for a Stanley Cup?Hossa,Gaborik, Spezza,Kovalchuk...These type of players can be either had through trade or free agency...I think the trade route is tougher as we dont want to trade our assets..So free agency is the best route.
However dont you agree that , the "easiest" part is to add the bonafide allstars to make the team really competitive?The tough part is to build a foundation, play a system and get the coach to instill it in the players?Dont you honestly believe with Sundin and Kovalchuk(not necessarily these two) this team can legitimately compete for a Stanley Cup?Hossa,Gaborik, Spezza,Kovalchuk...These type of players can be either had through trade or free agency...I think the trade route is tougher as we dont want to trade our assets..So free agency is the best route.
I dont honestly believe that Sundin and Kovalchuk would make this team a cup contender. Not even close. And I already explained to you in depth why the leafs wont get Gaborik/Hossa. You seem to have forgotten. It has long been acknowledged that, like Detroit, in order to build a contender and STAY a contender, you need to stockpile draft picks, and draft well. Cliff has traded away more high round picks than he has accrued. They have not highered ONE new european scout, and as much as I like Dennis Bonvie, he's not exactly what I would consider a crucial scouting hire..... So the short answer? NOPE. Cliff hasn't shown a damn thing....

Gibson: "I have heard that as well....His heart is still here in that he didn't want to come back to the same old team that has missed the playoffs...he obviously doesn't want to play for somebody else. If he did it would be on the east coast....doesn't want to travel...if he did he would have jumped at the Vancouver money...I just heard last week that when Sundin decided to go to LA that he has been really impressed by the looks of the Leafs, that is what inspired him to start working out again....the opportunity to play with some speedy forwards...I'd say if he comes back, based on my own thoughts and what I have been hearing, I'd say it is 95% that he comes back to the Leafs."I then asked Gibby how Leafs fan would feel about this? I noted that many of them have been extremely vocal and acting as if they don't want him back. I asked if Mats signed today and skated onto the ice tomorrow night in Toronto, what would the crowds response be...Gibson: "Oh he would get a standing ovation. No question. You show me a Leafs fan that does not want Mats Sundin back, and I'll show you a liar. How does this guy not help your team? I am sick and tired of the Tavares talk. There's no guarantee that you'll get the #1 or #2 pick. I mean has anyone seen Atlanta or the Islanders this year?"

Didn't Sundin meet with Burke recently and isn't he working out in the LA area?
yes to both of those..But Kevin Gibson believes that if Sundin comes back its 95% with the Leafs.

I don't know about Leafs nation, but if the best player on my team last year said something like "didn't want to come back to the same team that missed the playoffs" I'd be livid. Like somehow the Leafs are now worthy of him because they're playing .500 hockey, so he's willing to consider gracing them with his presence. Maybe I'm reading/taking it wrong, but if the star player of my team ever pulled something like that I'd have a big issue ever cheering for him again.

I don't know about Leafs nation, but if the best player on my team last year said something like "didn't want to come back to the same team that missed the playoffs" I'd be livid. Like somehow the Leafs are now worthy of him because they're playing .500 hockey, so he's willing to consider gracing them with his presence. Maybe I'm reading/taking it wrong, but if the star player of my team ever pulled something like that I'd have a big issue ever cheering for him again.
this isnt just a star player..This is a legend and the best Leaf to ever don the blue and white.
this isnt just a star player..This is a legend and the best Leaf to ever don the blue and white.
So it's ok for him to just sit out and make the team prove themselves to HIM and come back to lead them to the 9th place promised land on his own sweet time?Eff that eternally. He can be a poker ambassador for the rest of his life imo. Didn't like it when Niedermayer did it, don't like it now.
first, not sure he ever said that, just a rumour from someone I've never heard of, about something he MIGHT have said. Id be pretty shocked to ever see someone like Sundin say that publicly.second, isn't that what a lot of atheletes do, look to play for a winner once they get to a certain age and realize they haven't won the big prize? It would be easy to argue that a lot of guys come back to play for their teams only after making sure they wont be part of a rebuilding phase. I see where your coming from, you dont want your leader degrading your own team.But I would lean towards your taking it a lot worse than it really is.