Will The World End In August Of This Year?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsda...r.ap/index.htmlart.collider.ap.jpgMEYRIN, Switzerland (AP) -- The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors. The ring, which straddles the French and Swiss border, is buried 330 feet underground.The machine, which has been called the largest scientific experiment in history, isn't expected to begin test runs until August, and ramping up to full power could take months. But once it is working, it is expected to produce some startling findings.The collider could find evidence of extra dimensions, a boon for superstring theory, which holds that quarks, the particles that make up atoms, are infinitesimal vibrating strings.The safety of the collider, which will generate energies seven times higher than its most powerful rival, at Fermilab near Chicago, has been debated for years. The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million -- long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries.Critics of the LHC filed a lawsuit in a Hawaiian court in March seeking to block its startup, alleging that there was "a significant risk that ... operation of the Collider may have unintended consequences which could ultimately result in the destruction of our planet."
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80smovie1.jpgMitch: You know, um, something strange happened to me this morning...Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?Mitch: No...Chris Knight: Why am I the only one who has that dream?

well, the micro black holes which can theoretically be created by this hadron collider would need as little as 52 weeks to "suck up" earth. seems to fit to the december 2012 mayan calendar end of year thing.well it isn't proven neither disproven that those micro black holes can be created, however, once they're here, we only need stephen hawking to be wrong (hawking radiation) to make those black holes move into our earths core and accumulate mass until earth's gone. gg.

well, the micro black holes which can theoretically be created by this hadron collider would need as little as 52 weeks to "suck up" earth. seems to fit to the december 2012 mayan calendar end of year thing.well it isn't proven neither disproven that those micro black holes can be created, however, once they're here, we only need stephen hawking to be wrong (hawking radiation) to make those black holes move into our earths core and accumulate mass until earth's gone. gg.
are you CERNtain?Smurfs_Color_Pictures_Laughing_Smurf.jpgJesus%20Laughing.jpgBORS170~Elvis-Presley-Laughing-Posters.jpg
I didn't know you were a closet pagan.

thats is some crazy stuff to think about... anyone ever read The Elegant Universe? i like to read about this crap

And no, there's nothing to worry about because:a) Micro black holes aren't allowed as a part of any accepted theory and are only a part of some new unproven theories.B) Black holes are always spitting out a bit of their mass through a mechanism called Hawking Radiation. Though this has little effects on the mass of giant black holes, it has a major effect on potential microscopic black holes and would make them disappear out of existence in less than a second.c) The universe is a particle accelerator that is Billions of billions of times better than the LHC, and it is aimed at Earth. Earth is the target of what are called "Ultra High Energy cosmic rays" which are particles (mostly protons, which are the particles in the LHC) that are fired at Earth with much more energy than humans will ever be able to make. These hit the atmosphere every day all the time (about one per square kilometer per year, which isn't a lot, but if you add up the square kilometers of the earth, it's a large number). And these don't destroy the Earth, so the measly LHC certainly doesn't have a chance.d) My cat's breath smells like cat food.

thats is some crazy stuff to think about... anyone ever read The Elegant Universe? i like to read about this crap
Yeah. Good book. We should start a thread where we can ask some really smart guy interesting questions about this sort of crap.
Yeah. Good book. We should start a thread where we can ask some really smart guy interesting questions about this sort of crap.
no thanks, I don't really have the time.
If the world ends this august I will chop my balls off on youtube and ship OP my entire $14k bankroll.
14k bankroll ! LMAOYou try too hard.

This thing ain't dangerous, there are huge benefits from the experiments we could discover zero point energy or more!People are too afraid of change IMO, science is what makes us more than apes.

This thing ain't dangerous, there are huge benefits from the experiments we could discover zero point energy or more!People are too afraid of change IMO, science is what makes us more than apes.
and with this experiment gone horribly wrong, it will be what turns us back in to apes.
and with this experiment gone horribly wrong, it will be what turns us back in to apes.
will that make rape more socially acceptable? if so, consider my fingers crossed!