Please Type The Word In The Box Above

Okay now they're just fucking with me.
After reviewing this topic I get the impression that people don't know how re-captcha works. It only knows the answer to one of the words. It's trying to learn what the other word is. If you answer the one it knows, it assumes you are right about the other one (but will lose confidence if everyone answers differently). So if you ever can't read one of the words, just guess on that one. 99% of the time you will get through. The purpose (aside from normal captcha function) is to help digitize books... you are helping to read the phrases where OCR failed, so sometimes they are just not going to be readable.
After reviewing this topic I get the impression that people don't know how re-captcha works. It only knows the answer to one of the words. It's trying to learn what the other word is. If you answer the one it knows, it assumes you are right about the other one (but will lose confidence if everyone answers differently). So if you ever can't read one of the words, just guess on that one. 99% of the time you will get through. The purpose (aside from normal captcha function) is to help digitize books... you are helping to read the phrases where OCR failed, so sometimes they are just not going to be readable.
I did not know that. Pretty cool, actually. According to wikipedia, various Tim Wakefields of the world are helping digitize the NY Times archives, and they've done 20 years of 130 years of words as a byproduct of website security. I like it.
The purpose (aside from normal captcha function) is to help digitize books... you are helping to read the phrases where OCR failed, so sometimes they are just not going to be readable.
That's actually pretty awesome.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...