***the Official Miami Dolphins 2008-2009 Thread***

Another ho hum game where the dolphins refused to put a team away. Almost cost them....49ers are not so bad. Singletary should be hired for sure. Defense came up big when necessary again.I cannot believe that 3rd and 4 from the SF 29 with 2 mins and change left.....we run a toss sweep. So stupid! even a draw play is better than that crap which had ZERO chance of working. Your QB has 6 turnovers all year and has a high completion percentage. Put the ball in his ****ing hands and let him get the 1st down and end the game. Dumb dumb dumb. That toss sweep loses two yards......and then the kicker puts one off the crossbar. Even a no gain on the 3rd down play and Carpenter makes the FG (barely). Very lucky dolphins. But I will take it....9-5 is amazing.
The one thing I have hated about the Dolphins for a long time, and that I thought would change this season, is their inability to be aggressive on 3rd down.Defense played great. What is now, 3 or 4 games they haven't allowed a TD?
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I have hated about the Dolphins for a long time, and that I thought would change this season, is their inability to be aggressive on 3rd down.Defense played great. What is now, 3 or 4 games they haven't allowed a TD?
Three games in a row without allowing a TD. It would be nice for confidence if they could actually put KC away next week and not have to sweat the final drive of the game like so many other games this year.
Another ho hum game where the dolphins refused to put a team away. Almost cost them....49ers are not so bad. Singletary should be hired for sure. Defense came up big when necessary again.I cannot believe that 3rd and 4 from the SF 29 with 2 mins and change left.....we run a toss sweep. So stupid! even a draw play is better than that crap which had ZERO chance of working. Your QB has 6 turnovers all year and has a high completion percentage. Put the ball in his ****ing hands and let him get the 1st down and end the game. Dumb dumb dumb. That toss sweep loses two yards......and then the kicker puts one off the crossbar. Even a no gain on the 3rd down play and Carpenter makes the FG (barely). Very lucky dolphins. But I will take it....9-5 is amazing.
gg dolphins. you guys have a great defense and proved it against us. even if gore played, i don't think we would of won.

I almost pissed myself when for the first time all game, Joey came flying off the corner to record a game ending sack. I knew the penalty didn't matter and loved it. He seems to get a sack on the other teams final drive every game. I'd give him handy if he asked.

I almost pissed myself when for the first time all game, Joey came flying off the corner to record a game ending sack. I knew the penalty didn't matter and loved it. He seems to get a sack on the other teams final drive every game. I'd give him handy if he asked.
Yep, in that situation I have no problem with a guy getting penalized for enjoying himself. And going by what others in the league have said about Joey, it may not be that unrealistic for him to want some Mex action.
The stadium went berzerk when he made that sack. You could see it coming....he beat the RT by two steps. KC could be a trap game. They keep playing people close. Hope they are not due for a win now. I feel like we should have a lot of success running the ball against KC which should help a lot. Their run D stinks; ronnie brown has not gotten a lot of work the last couple games.....that should change in the bad weather at Arrowhead.The Jets are under tremendous pressure and seem to be cracking. They were incredibly lucky to beat the Bills at home with JP "I suck at life" Losman playing QB. If they Dolphins can get by KC, I think the Jets will choke at home in the last week and we can win the division. Knock on wood (Ron's wood).
KC could be a trap game. They keep playing people close. Hope they are not due for a win now. I feel like we should have a lot of success running the ball against KC which should help a lot. Their run D stinks; ronnie brown has not gotten a lot of work the last couple games.....that should change in the bad weather at Arrowhead.
As much fun as it has been to watch meaningful games all season, the too-close-for-comfort victories over teams like the Rams, Seahawks, Raiders, and Niners do not have my confidence too high for a game in Kansas City this weekend. Like you said, they've been pretty competitive in a lot of games and I'm not as confident as I should be when Miami plays a 2-12 team. I have a friend who is a Chiefs fan and will be watching it with him. I told him that I really hope the Chiefs don't put up much of a fight because if we don't win Sunday, Week 17 really won't matter unless we get a lot of help from other teams. And I would really love the chance to watch the Fins play a division-deciding game on the last week of the season.

big game tomorrow. I am already nervous. Ravens won which means Miami HAS to win out to make the playoffs. Probably for the best that they know that going into this game. I dont like this game at all. Feels like a trap game...feels like KC is due for a win. Will be the first cold weather game of the year for Miami. How will they react? I really hope they can run the ball well. Pennington might not be his usual sterling self.

I really hope KC has nothing TO BUILD ON after the game.But yeah, we are all typical Dolphin fans, expecting the worst, and I'm right there with ya, but I'm going for positive thinking.I may go to a bar to watch because my drinking buddy is a Steelers fan and their game isn't on locally and he wants to watch, but half of me doesn't want to go because I don't want to drink, and because I watch every game with my step-dad at his house and don't want to break the luck. Yes, I'm that gay.

Holy crap. 38-31. They showed something today. They can win when the D does not show up. (And they finally did at the end.) Pennington was amazing. So much for cold weather bothering him. Some flawless throws. Him being out of the pro bowl is an injustice. Running game was more than good enough. Tight ends are playing great.....really the whole offense was solid to fantastic.The only lowlights....some very questionable calls. First....4th and 1 and you throw a fade to the 3rd string TE? Read that sentence again. It does not make any sense...dont read it a third time lest you hurt your brain. Lousaka Polite and Ronnie Brown are very clutch in short yardage. Trust them, Sparano.Also, 2nd and goal. Up 7. Two minutes left. No timeouts for your opponent. Down the BALL!!!! Just kneel twice and kick a FG. Why risk a fumble which amazingly happened? Why?? You kneel twice and the clock (with the 40 seconds between plays) is down to almost 30 seconds. Then you kick the FG. Even if you miss somehow....no way they go 85 yards in 30 seconds without something wacky happening. Sparano's inexperience showed today a little. But he has this team running so well, compensating in one area when another falters (special teams was great today....Patrick Cobbs needs to be the full time KR for sure) and playing at a high level.8 of 9. What an amazing streak after starting 2-4. (Damn that Texans game) I really really like their chances in New York considering how Pennington played today. And you know he wants to stick it to the Jets. I cant wait for that game.

I am glad I watched it on TV instead of being at the game!!! Not even enough people to huddle for warmth. -12 "feels like" temp. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The only lowlights....some very questionable calls. First....4th and 1 and you throw a fade to the 3rd string TE? Read that sentence again. It does not make any sense...dont read it a third time lest you hurt your brain. Lousaka Polite and Ronnie Brown are very clutch in short yardage. Trust them, Sparano.Also, 2nd and goal. Up 7. Two minutes left. No timeouts for your opponent. Down the BALL!!!! Just kneel twice and kick a FG. Why risk a fumble which amazingly happened?
Obviously, I was pumped about the win but I had these exact concerns yesterday. The 4th-and-1 call still baffles me. In the bar as soon as Pennington dropped back to throw it I was just speechless. And all game I had been telling my friend that every time Ricky has the ball he makes me nervous because he can fumble it at any moment. On the last drive, I could not figure out why they had Ricky in there - was something up with Ronnie? Did he get hurt at the end of the game? The fumble didn't need to happen either way, but I was surprised Ronnie wasn't the one taking the hand-offs. Oh well. We got what we wanted. A chance to beat the Jets and perennial Pro Bowler Brett Favre (0 TD's, 2 INTS yesterday) for the AFC East. On a tangent, the really funny (disgusting) thing about the Jets losing yesterday is that the Pats are still alive.
Patrick Cobbs needs to be the full time KR for sure) and playing at a high level.
Oh no. He played a great game but Ginn is a stud back there. He's a home run threat every time he touches the ball.
Oh no. He played a great game but Ginn is a stud back there. He's a home run threat every time he touches the ball.
He goes out of bounds at the 24 too often. He goes outside too often. Cobbs runs with more purpose back there. I will take having the ball on the 40-45 more often as opposed to one home run a year and a ton of lousy returns.This should be a great game. It is fun to have the Dolphins in the news again.
Holy crap. 38-31. They showed something today. They can win when the D does not show up. (And they finally did at the end.) Pennington was amazing. So much for cold weather bothering him. Some flawless throws. Him being out of the pro bowl is an injustice. Running game was more than good enough. Tight ends are playing great.....really the whole offense was solid to fantastic.The only lowlights....some very questionable calls. First....4th and 1 and you throw a fade to the 3rd string TE? Read that sentence again. It does not make any sense...dont read it a third time lest you hurt your brain. Lousaka Polite and Ronnie Brown are very clutch in short yardage. Trust them, Sparano.Also, 2nd and goal. Up 7. Two minutes left. No timeouts for your opponent. Down the BALL!!!! Just kneel twice and kick a FG. Why risk a fumble which amazingly happened? Why?? You kneel twice and the clock (with the 40 seconds between plays) is down to almost 30 seconds. Then you kick the FG. Even if you miss somehow....no way they go 85 yards in 30 seconds without something wacky happening. Sparano's inexperience showed today a little. But he has this team running so well, compensating in one area when another falters (special teams was great today....Patrick Cobbs needs to be the full time KR for sure) and playing at a high level.8 of 9. What an amazing streak after starting 2-4. (Damn that Texans game) I really really like their chances in New York considering how Pennington played today. And you know he wants to stick it to the Jets. I cant wait for that game.
Kicking a FG there could be pointless imo. Do you really want to give them a chance to block the kick? I know KC's DL is horrible and probably won't get much of a push anyways, but I'd rather make them march 92 yds then 80 if he'd just flat out miss.
Kicking a FG there could be pointless imo. Do you really want to give them a chance to block the kick? I know KC's DL is horrible and probably won't get much of a push anyways, but I'd rather make them march 92 yds then 80 if he'd just flat out miss.
two score lead ends the game. If you dont trust your special teams/kicker to make a 25 yard field goal, then you arent a playoff team anyways.

Simmons picked the Jets based on everyone picking the Phins, but I'd say plenty of jock sniffers are thinking Favre can pull off another one. I admit that the thought of that does scare me a bit, I think he's done. I sure hope so.

Simmons picked the Jets based on everyone picking the Phins, but I'd say plenty of jock sniffers are thinking Favre can pull off another one. I admit that the thought of that does scare me a bit, I think he's done. I sure hope so.
LOL. I love Bill Simmons but he is a columnist not a journalist and he hates Miami, Miami sports, Dan Marino, etc.....and it seeps into his writing. He wants the Dolphins to lose so he is making up some story about "everyone" picking the Dolphins which is a joke.A list of people who picked the Jets: Peter King, both NFL Live hosts (Tim Hasselback and Marcellus Wiley), Trent Dilfer on NFL Primetime, Skip Bayless, and on and on and on. I have read so many people picking NY because "this is why the Jets got Brett Favre....for games like this." Gag. Did they also get him to lose 3 out of 4 in December?Keep the faith. The Dolphins still believe they are being disrespected. Hell, even Vegas is still picking the Jets even though they have not played a good game in over a month. I like the Fins, I like the hot team. Positive Thoughts, Mex.Dolphins 23--Jets 14.

Simmons did put the Phins higher in his power poll than the Jets and the Pats (I think) so that's something.I am going with the power of positive thinking but I also think we are playing with house money at this point.I saw Tim Hasselback the other day. How does that guy get a job on anything other than the local news broadcast? Don't get me wrong, as far as average Joe's go, his resume is sweet. Major college QB, backup in the NFL for a few years, but really, he's my go to guy on NFL Live? Just stop ESPN, stop. At least Shaun King started a couple of years in the NFL and had a great season at Tulane

Here's my extremely biased (but probably correct) prediction...Favre throws at least 2 interceptions, 0 touchdowns 3 interceptions, 1 touchdownPennington goes 16-20, 247 yards, and 3 touchdowns 22-30, 200 yards, 2 touchdownsDolphins 24 Jets 6 Dolphins 24 (BINGO) Jets 17

Pennington rocks, Favre sucks. I am so pumped. What a great way to end the season. Beat the JETS, knock out the Pats. So good.They probably should have won this game by more. Oh well, they never win big. Who cares?Go Phins!

Pennington rocks, Favre sucks. I am so pumped. What a great way to end the season. Beat the JETS, knock out the Pats. So good.They probably should have won this game by more. Oh well, they never win big. Who cares?Go Phins!
All you fish fans are about to see what Pennington is all about. Just good enough to give you hope, but never good enough to take you to the promised land. Prepare for disappointment. I am happy for you guys only because winning that game kept the Pats out, but there is no way the fins make a run in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if they even made it a close game against the Ravens.
All you fish fans are about to see what Pennington is all about. Just good enough to give you hope, but never good enough to take you to the promised land. Prepare for disappointment. I am happy for you guys only because winning that game kept the Pats out, but there is no way the fins make a run in the playoffs. I'd be surprised if they even made it a close game against the Ravens.
The line right now is Ravens -3I'll take the Dolphins +3 for $20. I only have money on FT right now if that matters, but I can accept transfers on Stars.