Wsop 2008 Final Table

Surely they won't show hole cards in a live (or nearly live) broadcast.Surely people won't want to watch it without hole cards.I don't get it.
I'd imagine they would do something similar to what they did for WSOP live internet broadcasts at this past yrs WSOP. They had an "isolation room" where they played out the tournament and the players had strict restrictions. However, there were a ton of issues and it was extremely poorly organized so I'm not positive they would go this route.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course people would get coached. My point was that it takes much more than 3 months of coaching to become a great tournament player. Zimmer's point on bad players become average is well taken. That is one the biggest drawbacks. Its fairly easy for a bad player to become average, and that kind of sucks bc I would imagine nobody would be completely dead $ after 3 months of traning.
I agree with all of that, but I also don't think you need to necessarily become great to win it. Why does it HAVE to be live? I don't think joe public really cares about that. Just go back to airing the prelim's first, and use all of that airtime to hype up the ME, do whatever to hype the players and all that in that time frame. The people who want to see it live can watch it online just like they have been.
I'd imagine they would do something similar to what they did for WSOP live internet broadcasts at this past yrs WSOP. They had an "isolation room" where they played out the tournament and the players had strict restrictions. However, there were a ton of issues and it was extremely poorly organized so I'm not positive they would go this route.
That thing was horrible.

Oh yeah, there's another issue. If you show the 12 episodes or whatever of coverage before the play of the final table, then players can see the hole cards of other players on select hands, which could provide an unfair advantage depending on the hands ESPN decides to show.

Oh yeah, there's another issue. If you show the 12 episodes or whatever of coverage before the play of the final table, then players can see the hole cards of other players on select hands, which could provide an unfair advantage depending on the hands ESPN decides to show.
You smart.
I agree with all of that, but I also don't think you need to necessarily become great to win it.
Def not. My point is that any really good player isn't going to be bothered by the wait because they know they will have an edge regardless of how much coaching their opponents get in the 3 months.And ya that isolation chamber was brutal but they could improve it and make it work.
ya this is a really good point
That isn't that different than players like Daniel having had a ton of their play shown over the years so that everybody has a bit of a feel for his game as opposed to an unknown player. Players will know what was shown on ESPN so they'll know what the other players have seen of their games and make adjustments just like the famous players who have been on TV a lot do.
That isn't that different than players like Daniel having had a ton of their play shown over the years so that everybody has a bit of a feel for his game as opposed to an unknown player. Players will know what was shown on ESPN so they'll know what the other players have seen of their games and make adjustments just like the famous players who have been on TV a lot do.
But those are shown at a table with completely different players, blinds, etc...I don't think it's a huge advantage, but ESPN will choose what hands to show, and that just throws another variable in there that can give an advantage to one player or another that shouldn't be part of a singular poker tournament IMO.

I think this idea is so horrible in so many ways i can't even begin to describe how horrible it is.

I think this idea is so horrible in so many ways i can't even begin to describe how horrible it is.

If they want to make this a super hyped specticle let it play out then a few months have a freeroll FT with everyone starting with the same size stacks. The continuity and flow of the tourney would be destroyed by this. Say on the second to last day a chipleader loses a monster pot on a bad beat, if he played the FT within 48 hours that beat(which is part of the game) would still be weighing heavy on his mind. Wheras 3 months out he would have mentally recovered and accepted what hapened. Or say a player late when down to 2 tables is in a monster pot andd makes a msaaive laydown. He would have seen what he was up against due to the broadcast and it will not affect his FT play. The players at the ME ft will have great exposure regardless of this idea. Besides I think most sponsorships are decided before the tourney even starts. If your sponsored by Tilt or stars and sign the agrrement for the extra money ahead of time you are bound by that contract. I think negatives far outweigh any benefits(I think the primary benefit from this would be for Harrahs and ESPN anyways)

I really don't like this idea either but if ESPN did end up doing it they would have to make it into a reality show. It would be entertaining to the majority of viewers if they showed the degeneracy and declining lifestyles of the soon to be new millionaires. They would have to get the cameras right into the 'contestants' face as he snorts coke off the strippers body. They would have to show the paramedics trying to revive his lifeless body on the floor of his hotel room. Interview all his new 'friends'. Yes, this is exactly what poker needs. :club:

anybody who thinks this is a good idea has an open mind and doesn't view poker tournaments as some sort of sacred cows not to be tampered with.
FYP

It's human nature to be against change and I understand why a lot of people don't like this idea but change can be a good thing. The WSOP Main Event is already totally unique, no other tournament takes over two weeks to play and has so many entrants. The success of televised poker has been because it's a combination of a competition and a reality show and appeals to the casual viewers in the same way that shows like Survivor do while also appealing to the millions of people who play poker.I think a change like this might be refreshing and for sure it will be a benefit to the players who make the final table.

They are considering having the field of however many thousand entrants in this year's WSOP Main Event play down to the final 9 players, and then DELAY THE FINAL TABLE FOR 3 MONTHS so they can hype up the final table and make the players celebrities and show the final table LIVE in September/October.What do you guys think? I think it would be terrible if you were a final table player because you have to wait 3 months to get your millions. If they do this it will be cool I must say because watching the final table of every WSOP in recent memory has been boring because we already know the outcome.http://www.holdemreview.com/world-series-o...t-live-in-2008/
getting the final table on a Sunday and giving them a week and playing it on the following Sat Sun is a good idea. Three months is LUNACY.
It's human nature to be against change and I understand why a lot of people don't like this idea but change can be a good thing. The WSOP Main Event is already totally unique, no other tournament takes over two weeks to play and has so many entrants. The success of televised poker has been because it's a combination of a competition and a reality show and appeals to the casual viewers in the same way that shows like Survivor do while also appealing to the millions of people who play poker.I think a change like this might be refreshing and for sure it will be a benefit to the players who make the final table.
why dont we give the players a week off after the make it to the money too. this is the most ludacris idea ever and it is stupid to think that it wll help poker