Wanting To Try Out Limit Hold'em

I've been feeling that I can really improve my NL game by trying other games, and I wanted to start by trying a little Limit HoldEm. Can anyone explain the benefits of learning Limit Holdem from NL, and maybe some of the style differences that I would have to adjust to / online literature I might be able to read on it?thanks

I've been feeling that I can really improve my NL game by trying other games, and I wanted to start by trying a little Limit HoldEm. Can anyone explain the benefits of learning Limit Holdem from NL, and maybe some of the style differences that I would have to adjust to / online literature I might be able to read on it?thanks
limit is a completely different game. although position is still important, imo starting hands are key.its a drawing game. everyone is going to chase...I HATE THAT! and for that reason refuse to play limit.i think it really only begins to be poker at the 15/30 level or 20/40 level. or maybe if you play limit tourneys. if you're looking for ways to improve your game focus on the little things that you would have notthought of. for example, pick up a deck of cards and continuously put out flops, turns & rivers.Read the board to whole time and read whats the nuts 2nd nuts, 3rd nuts, etc...It'll sharpen you.But Daniel actually has a few things written on limit hold'em. Just google it and i'm sure you'll findwhat you're looking for.

Learning LHE will probably improve your postfop skills immensely.It's a very different game than NL, though, and requires a substantially different mindset.However, it's also significantly better than NL. :club:

I saw a while back a link to the entire super/system ii book online somewhere, would anyone know where it is? I figure it might be worth my while to read Jen Harman's chapter to get an idea for the mindset.

I saw a while back a link to the entire super/system ii book online somewhere, would anyone know where it is? I figure it might be worth my while to read Jen Harman's chapter to get an idea for the mindset.
sending you a PM with a way to get it.
Learning LHE will probably improve your postfop skills immensely.It's a very different game than NL, though, and requires a substantially different mindset.However, it's also significantly better than NL. :club:
And can cause you to tilt and drink/smoke alot more.

If I wanted to deposit some cash on stars solely for limit, what do you think is a good level to start? (I know my bankroll should be 300 BigBets, so I'll keep that in mind). Also, anyone know anything I can look at to get into a limit mindset, or is playing the only real treatment for that?

If I wanted to deposit some cash on stars solely for limit, what do you think is a good level to start? (I know my bankroll should be 300 BigBets, so I'll keep that in mind). Also, anyone know anything I can look at to get into a limit mindset, or is playing the only real treatment for that?
well what i did was starting at the .05/.10 level to get the right anti-tilt mindset. the first time i really started taking lhe seriously i was really tillting like an ass monkey, because if you think there are people who chase and hit everything in NLHE, you will have hard times when you start LHE. literally almost everyone chases gutshots, "overpair-draws" and what not (not only over 1 street, which is often correct due to pot odds, but always to the river) . you need to start grasping the concept of milking the most money out of them. small stakes holdem by david slanksy might help you there.
if you're looking for ways to improve your game focus on the little things that you would have notthought of. for example, pick up a deck of cards and continuously put out flops, turns & rivers.Read the board to whole time and read whats the nuts 2nd nuts, 3rd nuts, etc...It'll sharpen you.But Daniel actually has a few things written on limit hold'em. Just google it and i'm sure you'll findwhat you're looking for.
Check this out: http://www.chanpoker.com/school/?PageID=1003I was looking for some of the articles that Negreanu wrote but I couldn't really find anything...But thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna deposit some cash onto PS and start playing low LHE and hopefully my postflop skills will shoot up (I know right now that I could really use it in my NL game, and it's one thing that I would love to improve as I know it's so important)
limit is a completely different game. although position is still important, imo starting hands are key.its a drawing game. everyone is going to chase...I HATE THAT! and for that reason refuse to play limit.i think it really only begins to be poker at the 15/30 level or 20/40 level. or maybe if you play limit tourneys.
Anything I can do to change your mind?Think hard.
I'm going to stick my neck on the line and tell you....LHE is where the money is!Just played (imo) a fairly interesting hand (PS I don't know how to convert).Played $2/4 LHEPosted my blinds and was dealt 6s 9s 3rd to act (2 folds).I make the flat call, one more caller before the BB raises, I no face only a $2 call with $11 already in the pot....no brainer right?Flop comes: 6 7 8I check raise and this gets rid of original caller, bb callsTurn: 3BB checks, I bet, he callsRiver: 5BB Checks, I bet, he callsFinal pot $36, he turns over AK??!?I take his money.
I'm going to stick my neck on the line and tell you....LHE is where the money is!
I agree. LHE is full of donks who limp any two suited from any seat. Yummy!

Darth Maple posted a blind upon sitting down at the table - he did not actually limp as such. He only called the $2 from the BB's raise.

If you're playing micro stakes, buy "Small Stakes Hold 'Em: Winning Big with Expert Play". It is the bible for limit at donkish tables. i'm not sure what books are best for small/mid. Oh, and fold 96s from MP with no limpers.

whoops...mea culpa, and I apologize. I missed that.
Hmmm..reread the hand. The actio on the flop says he open called? Which is it: post-up or limp-in? Not that it matters...I'm just poking fun. LHE is a fun game. Micro is donkalicious and crushable using SSHE. Low stakes takes some study and practice, but is beatable for a good win rate.

Not really sure how anyone can learn to play NL strong without playing limit. It helps so much post flop, starting hands and position it's amazing. (yes, I know there are a ton of great NL players that don't/can't play limit).My recommendation, play tiny to start. The .25/.50 on stars is a great place. Plenty of fish that you can catch right away, some really solid players and some complete NITs that are so unprofitable because they only play the top 5% of hands. I think Poker Tracker is a must with GT+ or some HUD. And just grind. There are a ton of basic limit strat in the forums - this one and some of the "others" that are incredibly helpful. Recommend NOT to start with Harmon's section in Super System. She is so far beyond any limit player you are likely to see it's sick. Well, Zach might be close but who knows.

I've been playing a little .05/.10 lately and I feel like I'm getting the hang of it; I'm mainly making more value bets, but I feel like with some hands I'm committed with such sick pot odds on every street (especially with random nits calling down with T high... lol)

Recommend NOT to start with Harmon's section in Super System. She is so far beyond any limit player you are likely to see it's sick. Well, Zach might be close but who knows.
lol!I do agree though, Harmon's section in SS2 is not good for beginners.
lol!I do agree though, Harmon's section in SS2 is not good for beginners.
At the levels you are playing, what book would you recommend or are you in the camp that says 2+2 and discussion with friends, etc are far ahead of books, mainly because books can't keep up with the rotating tendencies of the masses
At the levels you are playing, what book would you recommend or are you in the camp that says 2+2 and discussion with friends, etc are far ahead of books, mainly because books can't keep up with the rotating tendencies of the masses
Yeah, well. I don't know. There's good concepts in all the books, it's just that there's a limitation to what the books can teach you. I own most of the good books, but I've read very few of them. I spend most of my time discussing hands with guys over AIM, or sweating, or being sweated, while I play. However, since I've played exclusively HU for the last like 5 months, there's not really much out there in terms of books for my specific game.With respect to 6-max, I've heard, and read some good things about Stoxtrader's book, and I have read some sections, and thought it was very good, for advanced players, but, the biggest problem with the way people try to learn the game, is that they want to just memorize hand charts and think they'll crush. The game is so much deeper than that. You'll notice in the 3/6-5/10 type limits, maybe 2/4 and 10/20, 15/30 as well, that there's just a bunch of guys who play like robots, with the same stats, because they've memorized the books. Most of these guys, though, don't understand some of the finer points of the game, though, like game selection, and the basic reasoning between when to raise or bet. They're solid players, but I doubt they'd be much better than breakeven in the heavily raked games, especially since the online game has gotten tougher lately. It takes going beyond that, imo, to crush the games, and basically, you'd just need to understand how to apply the "book knowledge", and understanding the WHYs about the information in the book. Why are we supposed to c/r the flop with a flush draw in this situation?, etc, and most importantly, how to adapt to a constantly changing game.So, basically, I'm of the opinion that you can get the most dynamic learning done with friends over AIM, etc, but that shouldn't really discount the importance of books. They're certainly useful to stay sharp and to learn some new concepts, but they can't be your only source of study.