Official 2008 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

trust me. I've got the same WPIAL bias, and like I said being able to say I've played with a major league'r would be kinda cool too.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trust me. I've got the same WPIAL bias, and like I said being able to say I've played with a major league'r would be kinda cool too.
Ya. I was at the WPIAL title game his senior year at Falconi (now Consol Energy Park where I'm interning this summer).Hitting HRs from both sides of the plate in the same game is just sick.
Scott Patterson...former WPIAL player for West Allegheny that pitched 1.1 innings for the Yanks this year. There was a great picture of him with Jeter and ARod on espn.com, but it's down now. We were all hoping that he was coming here in the Nady trade.I played with him and against him....and (brag time)....once had the only hit in a 1 hitter he pitched at CIT field in Crafton....610x.jpg
Scott Patterson...former WPIAL player for West Allegheny that pitched 1.1 innings for the Yanks this year. There was a great picture of him with Jeter and ARod on espn.com, but it's down now. We were all hoping that he was coming here in the Nady trade.I played with him and against him....and (brag time)....once had the only hit in a 1 hitter he pitched at CIT field in Crafton....
Couple more pictures for ya...maybe the one you were talking about. Quite an ugly glove he has.610x.jpg340x.jpg
Couple more pictures for ya...maybe the one you were talking about. Quite an ugly glove he has.
Nice. The one on the left is from the same moment.I met my dad for lunch in his little hometown today, and actually saw his dad getting gas across the street. I didn't see the sign, but my dad told me on the "Welcome to Oakdale" sign, they put up something like "Home of Major League pitcher...". 1-1/3 inning is enough, I guess. :club:
  • 3 weeks later...
The Pirates officially can not finish .500 on the season.They need to go like 5-14 the rest of the way to improve upon last season. Progress.
Easier said that done. 5-14 would represent a .263 winning percentage the rest of the way. Their winning percentage over their last 25 games, .240. But hey, PNC Park is pretty awesome.pnc_park_view.jpg
  • 4 weeks later...

So the word out of New York is that the Yankees are going to make a hard push for McLouth.I would hate to see it unless the Buccos can get some top flight, can't miss prospects in return.

Easier said that done. 5-14 would represent a .263 winning percentage the rest of the way. Their winning percentage over their last 25 games, .240. But hey, PNC Park is pretty awesome.pnc_park_view.jpg
That would be a great place if the Pirates started winning. Pac Bell was a great place during the first couple years because we were good. It's no where compared to what it used to be.
That would be a great place if the Pirates started winning. Pac Bell was a great place during the first couple years because we were good. It's no where compared to what it used to be.
Umm...the place is still great. The product on the field has no baring on how beautiful the stadium is.Once the team starts winning, the stadium will get much more exposure and will consistently sell out.Hopefully Bob Nutting isn't the one reaping the benefits when that happens.
Umm...the place is still great. The product on the field has no baring on how beautiful the stadium is.Once the team starts winning, the stadium will get much more exposure and will consistently sell out.Hopefully Bob Nutting isn't the one reaping the benefits when that happens.
What I meant was the atmosphere of the place. Pac bell just isn't the same because we suck, and I'm sure if the Pirates made the playoffs it would it kicking.
  • 3 months later...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3817122Yep. With McClatchy gone, this leaves Nutting as the final say in all decisions and that is not good for the team, fans, or city of Pittsburgh. The Buccos might never win more then 50 games in a season again.He reminds me of that woman from "Major League." Does whatever he can to make his team tank so that he can sit back and count his cash.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3817122Yep. With McClatchy gone, this leaves Nutting as the final say in all decisions and that is not good for the team, fans, or city of Pittsburgh. The Buccos might never win more then 50 games in a season again.He reminds me of that woman from "Major League." Does whatever he can to make his team tank so that he can sit back and count his cash.
Are you nuts? He got us Rinku and Dinesh!
  • 2 years later...

I have placed bets on the Pirates this year. Sure, all they have to do is be ahead of Houston in the standings. Still, seems like one of those things that just automatically puts you on the degenerate list.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
parrot-raising-it.gif6 games over .500 and a .5 game lead in the division. The next 3 series against the Cards, Braves and Phillies could truly show if this real is a pretender/contender.

I'm quite certain umpires have moments similar to those had by drivers who step on the gas pedal when they mean to hit the brakes.

Thanks to #JerryMealsSaysItsSafe for helping me to get over it. https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23JerryMealsSaysItsSafe
That's pretty funny.
Holy Crap that might be the worst call ever.
The first time I saw it I had the same reaction. There's one angle in particular that shows the catcher tagging him. But...from the umpire's angle, it kind of looks like the catcher sweeps the tag through but the runner had slid short so that the tag missed him and then the runner steps on home plate. Therefore I declare this a horribly wrong call at the worst possible time, but not quite worst call ever.Edit: Watch the video clip (particularly at 1:40) instead of just the .gif.