Hey guys, me again...Been reading up on feeler bets (small bets used to get information for an opponant, to "see where your at") but dont know what size of a bet to go with. Obviously you dont wanna bet anything so small that everyone calls because defeating the object of getting rid of anyone "getting lucky". And is dosnt wana be so big that no one dares to call you...So can anyone give any advice on how much you bet as a Feeler Bet?ThanksStu

0 Big Blinds..........as in Somthing Less than the big blind?
I think the point ROBBBIG is trying to make is that he thinks feeler bets are gay.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that if I'm not sure how strong my opponent is or where I stand in a hand, I get more information from checking to an opponent as opposed to leading into them when out of position. Their reaction to my check generally gives me a pretty good idea of where I'm at.If I have position and had to make what you call a "feeler" bet, then I probably go for about 2/3 the pot. The reason I say that is 2/3 is often the size of continuation bet I make with a hand or with air after taking the lead preflop. You should keep your feeler, or info bet, within the range of your normal betting pattern. If you do anything outside of that then it may stick out as strength or weakness, but I would lean towards weakness if I was on the observing side of it.

thanks much appreciated :)I dont like checking, because your just encourageing others to stay in the pot. They could have a flush draw and checking gives them a free card which if they dont hit they will fold and if they do. they will raise wich is 1/4 chance they will hit it...........so you just given them 25% of the potIt also gives people change with a low pair to wait and see if they get lucky and hit 2 pair of trips.

Hey guys, me again...Been reading up on feeler bets (small bets used to get information for an opponant, to "see where your at") but dont know what size of a bet to go with. Obviously you dont wanna bet anything so small that everyone calls because defeating the object of getting rid of anyone "getting lucky". And is dosnt wana be so big that no one dares to call you...So can anyone give any advice on how much you bet as a Feeler Bet?ThanksStu
I don't think they have much value. I toss out a 1 bb bet live once in a while on an obv trips flop as a jopke to get the person with trips to raise and not "slowplay" thier "big hand" to the river so we can move along and get to the next hand.And yeah, that does mean in a 1/2 game I throw two white chips into a $30 pot to get the person with the real hand to bet.
I don't think they have much value. I toss out a 1 bb bet live once in a while on an obv trips flop as a jopke to get the person with trips to raise and not "slowplay" thier "big hand" to the river so we can move along and get to the next hand.And yeah, that does mean in a 1/2 game I throw two white chips into a $30 pot to get the person with the real hand to bet.
I was about to say I never probe bet... then i realized i did this...LOL... 7 people in the pot and the flop comes A-A-x and the world checks around...
I was about to say I never probe bet... then i realized i did this...LOL... 7 people in the pot and the flop comes A-A-x and the world checks around...
I always toss in two bucks and say, "Bet your ****ing hand, moron, or I'm gonna run you down with runner runner straight for two bucks a street and make you look like a retarded gibbon." Then Mr. Tight raises to ten, we can all fold and move on. If we check/look at each other over a paired board, waiting for Mr. Trap to ACTUALLY BET HIS OWN HAND, we'd get 15 fewer hands in in a four hour session. I'll pay the extra $2 to get those 15 hands, because I know one of them is gonna be a $100+ pot for me. In an 8 hour session, it's $200.

Ignoring the cash vs. tournament issue for a moment, I've noticed that I think several of the ideas in Harrington on Hold'em are, well, pretty stupid against competent villains. I have a pending order for his cash book through Amazon, though. I'm starting to question why that it is.

Ignoring the cash vs. tournament issue for a moment, I've noticed that I think several of the ideas in Harrington on Hold'em are, well, pretty stupid against competent villains. I have a pending order for his cash book through Amazon, though. I'm starting to question why that it is.
Makes sense considering they were written before everyone read them and learned how to play, i think a lot of stuff from the theory of poker and super system is really outdated and not relevant much today as well.The problem with a 'true' 'feeler' bet is that you're gonna get raised a lot more often so you're just making it harder not easier for yourself.
Ignoring the cash vs. tournament issue for a moment, I've noticed that I think several of the ideas in Harrington on Hold'em are, well, pretty stupid against competent villains.
That doesn't mean the information of "why they do it" is useless, however.
Light bathroom reading
Raising "feeler" bets is way more profitable and provides more information than making them in the first place.
I see 80% of what looks like "feeler bets" getting raised. And yeah, I'm doing a lot of the raising. It's insanely profitable to just go ahead and represent whatever someone is "feeling out."
I see 80% of what looks like "feeler bets" getting raised. And yeah, I'm doing a lot of the raising. It's insanely profitable to just go ahead and represent whatever someone is "feeling out."
But if I know you know this... do I put out a feeler bet to see if you'll represent what I'm actually holding? O_o
True, but following that logic, a feeler bet attached to a set etc. isn't that bad for inducing a bluff.
But if I know you know this... do I put out a feeler bet to see if you'll represent what I'm actually holding? O_o
Yeah, but you have to actually be holding it, which is .... <20% of the time. That's OK with me if you wake up with it 1 out of five times I try it.

i only use feeler bets when i think i have a good hand but think somone may have a better one.By placeing a small but not minimal bet im showing that i have a hand, this will probbably force out anyone who has nothing (stopping them "getting lucky"), any one who calls ill assume they probably have some kind of hand so now i need to think what it may be. And somone who raises, depending on the size mite tell me that they may have an overpair or set.So i find them usefull but only in situations likes that, where your not sure if you have the best hand but dont know what your opponants mite have.ThanksStu