Feather In My Cap (30/60)

Background:Haven't been at the table long. Default buy-in for the game is $3k. Made a point to sit to the direct left of the guy with over $6k. Didn't play a hand the first orbit until...raise 88 UTG, CO poster calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls. Flop :D:3h:ts. 2 checks, I bet, 3 folds, BB raises, I 3-bet, BB calls. Turn :qh. BB checks, I bet, he raises, I fold. Little spewy perhaps, but I decided to go strong. Several hands later...Bodog 30/60 LHE (7-handed)Cobalt is SB w/ :qh:club:. Button was BB in the background story. He seems fairly aggro. CO has also been open-raising very frequently.Pre-flop:3 folds, CO raises, Button 3-bets, Cobalt caps, 1 fold, CO calls, Button callsFlop (13 SB): :D:5c:D (3 players)Cobalt bets, CO calls, Button callsTurn (8 BB): :4h (3 players)Cobalt bets, CO calls, Button callsRiver (11 BB): :D (3 players)Cobalt checks, CO checks, Button bets, Cobalt callsThoughts?

I think button has a jack and the river bet is rarely a worse hand than 1010. Still, you're getting 11-1 on the river and calling isn't a big mistake.I couldn't figure out button had the jack until the river when I think he realizes you don't have an overpair. The board is so draw heavy that you have to fire the flop and turn.

I'd bet that 99 is a huge part of button's range.Cobalt, why did you try to get position on the guy with $6k? Are you assuming he's a strong player? I think that's backwards. I tend to not worry about the other strong players, and try to get position on the fishies.

You know, 99 makes sense. With button being aggro, he should be raising this flop with J10/QJ/KJ. If he's betting 99 he would be betting A7 too, since it's has the same value.I'm not very familiar with higher limit lhe games.

told you this on IM already, but i think you played the hand ok, but i could be talked into a valuebet. at first thought, i think the likelihood of a busted draw "bluffing" after you might have missed a draw of your own is about equal to the likelihood of a worse hand calling. but i could be convinced otherwise.also, i don't really like the 88 hand, since not many people are willing to c/r an ace high flop after a preflop raise without the intention of showing down their hand (i don't think a draw would semibluff into an ace high flop vs. a pfr). and anything that would show down beats you.whatgreatis, the button doesn't have a jack unless he's really, really bad. i'm with zach, i pretty much put him on 99 or overs + a busted draw almost exclusively here.

Cobalt, why did you try to get position on the guy with $6k? Are you assuming he's a strong player? I think that's backwards. I tend to not worry about the other strong players, and try to get position on the fishies.
I'm not assuming he's a strong player necessarily, but I am assuming that he's aggressive and/or that he's running well. Also, I believe I prefer to be to the left of the good players. Yeah, it's handy having the tight-predictables on your left, but the tricky-aggressives are better on your right, I think...unless they're maniacs. I don't worry about having position on the fishies so much...I figure they're easier to play OOP than the good players. I'm not saying this is correct...just how I rationalize it in my head.
Screennames would help as I know most of the players in that game.
CO was sexy4ever. Button was griffin1000.
Can i ask your reasoning behind the 88 hand?
When the rest of the field folds to him, I figure a tricky player is going to think, "Well, this is a big pot, but I can put some real pressure on him if he doesn't have the ace." If he'd made that raise with more players to act, I would've given it more respect. I really thought he could be c/r semi-bluffing with a draw. I decided that a 3-bet on my part would look quite strong. As it was early in the session, I was also attempting to set up a strong/aggressive image. Bet/folding the flop there seemed like it could lead to significant trouble in future hands. I'm not sure that bet/folding the turn after bet/3betting the flop really helped in that department...but I did feel it looked more like a fight. :club: