2008 Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread

1988?
LOL, no 1992. A year where we sucked in all aspects of the game, unlike 88, where we only sucked offensively. Pitching wins championships, something SF never learned until now it seems.
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEAM W L % GB Arizona 18 7 .720 - Los Angeles 12 13 .480 6.0 San Francisco 11 15 .423 7.5 Colorado 10 15 .400 8.0 San Diego 10 16 .385 8.5 Any time a Giants fan gloats and sets off a 3 game winning streak by the Dodgers, as well as what happened to Correia and Zito, they have my thanks. Showing the standings at that stage is about as amusing as Giants fans thinking that Bowker kid was some can't miss prospect. One would be amazed how many guys have a good week before pitchers adjust (1 for his last 18).On a positive note for the 1954 World Champs (well, that was NY, but I guess it still counts), Jonathan Sanchez looked very good Friday night and you guys should be pumped about that. Cain-Lincecum-Sanchez could be a very nasty top 3, even if you do have Zito going out every 5th day.
lol you're my favorite dodgers fan patrick. i was just having a good time realizing that this will be the only part of the season that the giants will be ahead of the dodgers... for the next 3 years. I really hope we can get some offense, rid of zito, and keep cain, lincecum and sanchez together. one time!
lol you're my favorite dodgers fan patrick. i was just having a good time realizing that this will be the only part of the season that the giants will be ahead of the dodgers... for the next 3 years. I really hope we can get some offense, rid of zito, and keep cain, lincecum and sanchez together. one time!
I know. :)The way he is pitching right now, I don't see how unloading Zito is possible without releasing him and eating 112 million. The Dodgers have had numerous bad contracts in the last decade +, so I know how you feel...Kevin Brown, Darren Driefort, Andy Ashby, Carlos Perez, Kaz Ishii, Juan Pierre, Jason Schmidt, and last but not least (esp in the weight dept), Andruw Jones. At least Andruw is only a 2 year deal (something I find myself pathetically saying way too often).If the Dodgers can continue to win games they should lose, then they might be alright. Out of the 4 straight wins, I think I have said 'they deserve to lose this game' in 3 of them. It was nice to see Saito more true to form last night, and I really hope Bills puts together a solid start from start to finish tonight. He has 32 Ks in 20 ip, but that is where his good numbers stop.
So... winning is funUpdated idea from Dodger Thoughts:Andruw Jones' hits vs. Chase Utley's homers. Jones leads, 16-13.
LOL, go Druw!It was nice of DLowe to carry over all that 8 game winning streak momentum to the first inning yesterday. Throwing over 40 pitches before you get your first out is usually not a good thing. Loaiza sucked again, which has become a trend. If Torre starts Loaiza, he sucks and Kuo ends up pitching very well in relief. If he starts Kuo, he sucks and Loaiza pitches very well in relief. How about you sit both, and bring up Kershaw? :club: I'd actually prefer to see Schmidt return and pitch decently, and save Kershaw for late this year/next year, but who knows if Schmidt will ever be 'decent' again.
So... winning is funUpdated idea from Dodger Thoughts:Andruw Jones' hits vs. Chase Utley's homers. Jones leads, 16-13.
Wow! He was bad for us last year, but I could never imagine him being much worse than he was last year. Torre has to bench him soon imo.BTW please keep beating the Mets...I will be in debt to all Dodger fans if you can pull off the sweep!!!
Wow! He was bad for us last year, but I could never imagine him being much worse than he was last year. Torre has to bench him soon imo.BTW please keep beating the Mets...I will be in debt to all Dodger fans if you can pull off the sweep!!!
When asked if he would consider benching Andruw if he was still going like this in June, Torre said no because they needed him to get going in order for them 'to do something special'. I agree with this to an extent, but man....he looks really bad. They have checked his eyes twice in the last few weeks lol. To me it looks like he is having difficulty with his mental approach at the plate, and once he does actually get a pitch to hit, you can literally see him jump out of his shoes at it.As always, very smooth in CF though...Furcal looks like an MVP canidate early, but his back tightened up the other night which is a bit worrisome.Hopefully we can get the sweep for you guys today; 12:10 pst game, weeeee! Something for me to do at work. :)Oh and I got your PM, I'm just lagging on replying, sorry. I tend to let things sit in my inbox with the intention of replying longer then I should.

This post from a commentator on dodgerthoughts made me lol:Kuo is like a werewolf. He is sometimes mortal, injury-prone, and ordinary, but when the Mets logo fills the moon, he becomes a vicious, unstoppable beast who tears batters to shreds.

I'm not much for in game whining, but gfy Brad Penny. How dare you ruin my work day by falling behind 5-0 early; now instead of enjoying Vin Scully while pretending to work, I feel like turning off the game and actually working. Blasphemy.

I'm not much for in game whining, but gfy Brad Penny. How dare you ruin my work day by falling behind 5-0 early; now instead of enjoying Vin Scully while pretending to work, I feel like turning off the game and actually working. Blasphemy.
I was going to blame you for Brad Penny ruining my fantasy hopes and dreams this week.
I was going to blame you for Brad Penny ruining my fantasy hopes and dreams this week.
My theory is that he was out banging Alyssa Milano last night....or he just sucks.Waco just sent me a PM rubbing the 12-1 loss in. sdjfkl;asdjf;klasdjfl;asdjfIn all seriousness though, he just didn't seem to have it today. Even before the Mets poured it on, he was getting no swing and misses at all. They were either crushing it, or fouling it off, and Penny has a tendecy to get frustrated when things go against him. Snowball effect after that...
When asked if he would consider benching Andruw if he was still going like this in June, Torre said no because they needed him to get going in order for them 'to do something special'. I agree with this to an extent, but man....he looks really bad. They have checked his eyes twice in the last few weeks lol. To me it looks like he is having difficulty with his mental approach at the plate, and once he does actually get a pitch to hit, you can literally see him jump out of his shoes at it.As always, very smooth in CF though...Furcal looks like an MVP canidate early, but his back tightened up the other night which is a bit worrisome.Hopefully we can get the sweep for you guys today; 12:10 pst game, weeeee! Something for me to do at work. :)Oh and I got your PM, I'm just lagging on replying, sorry. I tend to let things sit in my inbox with the intention of replying longer then I should.
No big deal at all....and he has always been the smoothest CF I have ever seen AINEC!!! He gets a jump like no other, just try and watch him when you go to game, it truly is a joy.....watching him hit is another story however.........GG on the win streak....look at the bright side, at least you don't have 45 players on the DL (including our whole 'pen)!!!
My theory is that he was out banging Alyssa Milano last night....or he just sucks.Waco just sent me a PM rubbing the 12-1 loss in. sdjfkl;asdjf;klasdjfl;asdjfIn all seriousness though, he just didn't seem to have it today. Even before the Mets poured it on, he was getting no swing and misses at all. They were either crushing it, or fouling it off, and Penny has a tendecy to get frustrated when things go against him. Snowball effect after that...
Make sure to fix him by Monday or there'll be hell to pay :club:
Make sure to fix him by Monday or there'll be hell to pay :club:
They have Monday off, so I think Penny's next start will be @ the Brewers. Good line up + wiffle ball field = hell to pay?On a side note, Clayton 'The Minotaur' (because he is a mythical creature to Dodgers fans) Kershaw might be called up to pitch next time we need a 5th starter because Loaiza was put on the DL. He wouldn't be a bad pick up for fantasy baseball if he stays with the team.
They have Monday off, so I think Penny's next start will be @ the Brewers. Good line up + wiffle ball field = hell to pay?On a side note, Clayton 'The Minotaur' (because he is a mythical creature to Dodgers fans) Kershaw might be called up to pitch next time we need a 5th starter because Loaiza was put on the DL. He wouldn't be a bad pick up for fantasy baseball if he stays with the team.
Heard he might come up....was debating on him or Scherzer??? Help prolly needed since Scherzer isn't guaranteed to be in the rotation with Davis coming back.....
Heard he might come up....was debating on him or Scherzer??? Help prolly needed since Scherzer isn't guaranteed to be in the rotation with Davis coming back.....
Kershaw isn't guaranteed to stay in the rotation, either. But Scherzer is more likely to stay in the majors and pitch in relief (ala Joba). If Kershaw isn't starting, he'll be in AAA.I think Scherzer puts up better numbers for the rest of this year.
Kershaw isn't guaranteed to stay in the rotation, either. But Scherzer is more likely to stay in the majors and pitch in relief (ala Joba). If Kershaw isn't starting, he'll be in AAA.I think Scherzer puts up better numbers for the rest of this year.
I'd tend to agree, especially with the 'Kershaw Rules' that they've instituted. If Kershaw came up however and was very good to dominant, then I don't see how they will be able to send him down. Loaiza might be done as a Dodger, Schmidt keeps having set backs....Kuo looked awesome the other night vs the MEts, but Torre wants to keep him in the bullpen as a second lefty. That leaves Chan Ho, Kershaw, or another kid (Meloan, McDonald).I also wouldn't be shocked if Kershaw pitched out of the bullpen. The Dodgers planned on him pitching out of the bullpen quite a bit this year in the minors in order to conserve his arm strength. IIRC, they had a 'limit' of 125 or 150 IP slated for him in order for him to be ready to help the ML team late in the year.
I'd tend to agree, especially with the 'Kershaw Rules' that they've instituted. If Kershaw came up however and was very good to dominant, then I don't see how they will be able to send him down. Loaiza might be done as a Dodger, Schmidt keeps having set backs....Kuo looked awesome the other night vs the MEts, but Torre wants to keep him in the bullpen as a second lefty. That leaves Chan Ho, Kershaw, or another kid (Meloan, McDonald).I also wouldn't be shocked if Kershaw pitched out of the bullpen. The Dodgers planned on him pitching out of the bullpen quite a bit this year in the minors in order to conserve his arm strength. IIRC, they had a 'limit' of 125 or 150 IP slated for him in order for him to be ready to help the ML team late in the year.
That's the predicament...Scherzer is also slated to go to 'pen when Davis comes back, but I believe that one might stay in the rotation....my question is (that I can't answer) which one???
That's the predicament...Scherzer is also slated to go to 'pen when Davis comes back, but I believe that one might stay in the rotation....my question is (that I can't answer) which one???
no one has the answer to that. My guess is Scherzer has a better chance of throwing more major league innings this year.
They have Monday off, so I think Penny's next start will be @ the Brewers. Good line up + wiffle ball field = hell to pay?
lol goddamnit

PM I would like to also hold you responsible for ruining my potential 6-4 victory even after Brad Penny blew it, because of Broxton just completely dismantling my ERA and WHIP.

PM I would like to also hold you responsible for ruining my potential 6-4 victory even after Brad Penny blew it, because of Broxton just completely dismantling my ERA and WHIP.
Nope, that was Kuroda's start yesterday ( i think you are talking about that game). He had a no hitter through 6 2/3, and the Astros only had 1 hit going to the top of the 8th. Obv Broxton gives up 6 straight singles to start the inning, gg Dodgers. Poor Kuroda, he was the pitcher of record in both games Saito has blown, and now this.Getting swept by the Astros + the Lakers losing 2 in Utah + poker = I'm a sad panda today.Furcal still hasn't played since the back tightened up, which has led to the offense pretty much disappeaing. Also, Pierre was hot for like a week, and now he is 3 for his last 20 something, but he still keeps starting. Siiiiiiiiiigh.
I have Broxton on my team
Yeah, I realized what you meant later on in the day (funny what crosses your mind).Furcal is going on the DL, sigh. I think he hurt his back making a great play in the hole vs David Wright last week, but that's just my theory.