2008 Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread

Dodgers have 1 year 25 million offer on table for 48 hours... take it, or leave it...
I hate this type of negotiating. Why do you need to put a 48 hour window on a deal? Does that ever succeed in making a player hurry up his decision? Especially a Scott Boras client. Just leave it on the table and go do what you have to do. If you end up signing another player and don’t want to pursue Manny anymore, then you can take it off the table. It’s just such a dumb tactic.Shockingly, Manny did not take it.Do you think at any point in their negotiations that Boras said, “Hey, listen, if the money is right, we’ll consider a one-year deal?” This feels like something the Dodgers are doing just to tell the fans that they are trying when they know it has no chance of being accepted.
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this type of negotiating. Why do you need to put a 48 hour window on a deal? Does that ever succeed in making a player hurry up his decision? Especially a Scott Boras client. Just leave it on the table and go do what you have to do. If you end up signing another player and don't want to pursue Manny anymore, then you can take it off the table. It's just such a dumb tactic.Shockingly, Manny did not take it.Do you think at any point in their negotiations that Boras said, "Hey, listen, if the money is right, we'll consider a one-year deal?" This feels like something the Dodgers are doing just to tell the fans that they are trying when they know it has no chance of being accepted.
Not sure what they think they are accomplishing with the 48 hour window; Colletti was Sabean's protege so who knows what the f he is thinking half the time. They reportedly are interested in Dunn and Hudson if they don't resign Manny. I wouldn't hate that if Manny is out of the NL, but if he ended up signing with SF I would throw a fit. I still think they will end up paying Manny close to what he wants, but at this point they don't want to bid against themselves.I don't really trust McCourt though either not to be cheap.
Not sure what they think they are accomplishing with the 48 hour window; Colletti was Sabean's protege so who knows what the f he is thinking half the time. They reportedly are interested in Dunn and Hudson if they don't resign Manny. I wouldn't hate that if Manny is out of the NL, but if he ended up signing with SF I would throw a fit. I still think they will end up paying Manny close to what he wants, but at this point they don't want to bid against themselves.I don't really trust McCourt though either not to be cheap.
I would be surprised if Manny wasn't a Dodger next year. I really doubt that Sebean will shell out the money that Boras wants and I see no other team interested in Man Ram.
Rick Astley would def improve the Giants lineup, good move by Sabean. :club:
Hah, I thought it might of been a good sport for a rickroll. :)Randy Wolf signs for 1 year. reminds me of a Brett Bomko signing. : D
Hah, I thought it might of been a good sport for a rickroll. :club: Randy Wolf signs for 1 year. reminds me of a Brett Bomko signing. : D
Meh Wolf is marginal, but at least he gives us another body for the starting rotation. The Dodgers pitching is probably going to be marginal unless Kershaw and Bills take huge steps forward, or Schmidt somehow contributes.EDIT: Listening to Sabean at Giants fan fest, looool. Edgar Renteria and Randy Johnson are obv the missing links.EDIT x 2: LOL, one of the knbr morning idiots just said, 'Benito Santiago, one of the greatest March pickups ever.' Loooooool
Meh Wolf is marginal, but at least he gives us another body for the starting rotation. The Dodgers pitching is probably going to be marginal unless Kershaw and Bills take huge steps forward, or Schmidt somehow contributes.EDIT: Listening to Sabean at Giants fan fest, looool. Edgar Renteria and Randy Johnson are obv the missing links.EDIT x 2: LOL, one of the knbr morning idiots just said, 'Benito Santiago, one of the greatest March pickups ever.' Loooooool
I hate Giants fans. They make the few smart ones look stupid like the rest of them.and LOL at the bolded. If the Giants don't get a power hitter, it will be another long and painful season.

The Giants may have the best team in the NL West. Its like winning the special Olympics but its still something.Also the Wolf signing is fine. Its decent value straight up and good just because the Dodgers need a boost because that division seems pretty tight right now. Im still surprised he didnt sign for less though considering the market right now.

The Giants may have the best team in the NL West. Its like winning the special Olympics but its still something.Also the Wolf signing is fine. Its decent value straight up and good just because the Dodgers need a boost because that division seems pretty tight right now. Im still surprised he didnt sign for less though considering the market right now.
If the Giants have the best team in 2009 NL West, it might be the worst divsion in baseball history.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so excited, I'm thinking about changing my avatar.

I like our lineup, but our pitching is questionable _at best_. Bills stepping up and bouncing back from two awful starts vs the Phillies would be huge, as well as Kershaw continuing to develop. Kuroda should be solid, Wolfe will be .500ish (I'd be happy with that actually, unless it's 1-1), and the 5th starter will be one of a few diff scrubs. I wouldn't be shocked if they made a deal for a top of the line starter at some point, but who knows.

I like our lineup, but our pitching is questionable _at best_. Bills stepping up and bouncing back from two awful starts vs the Phillies would be huge, as well as Kershaw continuing to develop. Kuroda should be solid, Wolfe will be .500ish (I'd be happy with that actually, unless it's 1-1), and the 5th starter will be one of a few diff scrubs. I wouldn't be shocked if they made a deal for a top of the line starter at some point, but who knows.
wow, that's a horrible rotation. :lol:The NL west should be fun this year. :club:
wow, that's a horrible rotation. :club: The NL west should be fun this year. :ts
Not horrible, but not up to par with what the organization has won with in the past. I'll take even money bets on the division if you or anyone else is interested.
"and the 5th starter will be one of a few diff scrubs. " :club:
I love that Dusty and Felipe overused Schmidt so much that when he went to the Dodgers his arm fell off in his second start. Or was it his second inning as a Dodger? :ts
I love that Dusty and Felipe overused Schmidt so much that when he went to the Dodgers his arm fell off in his second start. Or was it his second inning as a Dodger? :club:
Things could have been worse that off season - we could have signed the other major FA pitcher available, but luckily Sabean beat us to it. I think Schmidt was a steroid user personally, but that doesn't excuse Colletti signing him.On a side note I'd just like to point out that the Dodgers have won 5 WS titles since coming west. I think the Giants have won at least one right? I mean, even an organization like that would get lucky once in 50 years wouldn't they? :ts
Not horrible, but not up to par with what the organization has won with in the past. I'll take even money bets on the division if you or anyone else is interested.
def interested. :club:
Things could have been worse that off season - we could have signed the other major FA pitcher available, but luckily Sabean beat us to it. I think Schmidt was a steroid user personally, but that doesn't excuse Colletti signing him.On a side note I'd just like to point out that the Dodgers have won 5 WS titles since coming west. I think the Giants have won at least one right? I mean, even an organization like that would get lucky once in 50 years wouldn't they? :ts
ouch, below the belt. :)Schmidt and roids? I've never heard anyone link his name to them, I wouldn't be one bit surprised tho after A Fraud tested positive.
def interested. :club:
Your faith is admirable. Let me know. :)Schmidt/steroids is my own belief with nothing but conjecture as evidence. Low blow? How so? Have the Giants not won a WS or something? I could have swore they beat the Angels a few years back; Dusty gave Russ Ortiz the game ball and everything....I refuse to believe a team could go that long w/out a title with both Mays and Bonds in their primes. Inconceivable!