2008 Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Costanza was on to something, at least partly.
As a game used jersey collector, I shit you not. To my knowledge, most baseball teams started switching from the old knit jerseys to the new Cool Base style last year which are supposedly more "breatheable".
God I hate Chan Ho Park, every time I watch a game he gets Tatis'd.
I also am starting to hate Torre's bullpen management. Some of the moves he makes are questionable at best...Also, both the Braun HR yesterday and the Hardy HR the night before came on pitcher's counts and on pitches that had no reason to be thrown. The night before Kuo was ahead 1-2 and threw a slider that Martin was set up to take right down the middle, so it's not like he was wasting a pitch. So inexcusable to get beat with your 2nd best pitch in that situation...So, either Martin or the bench f'd up. Same story yesterday on Braun's HR; 0-2 count, Braun had chased 2 breaking balls and looked bad on them, and instead of going out of the zone, Martin was set up right down the middle.Thank god for Andre Ethier; everytime he does something good, I feel like it's another nail driven into Juan Pierre's coffin. Also, nice that Oswalt doesn't suck like the rest of the Astros pitching.
I also am starting to hate Torre's bullpen management. Some of the moves he makes are questionable at best...Also, both the Braun HR yesterday and the Hardy HR the night before came on pitcher's counts and on pitches that had no reason to be thrown. The night before Kuo was ahead 1-2 and threw a slider that Martin was set up to take right down the middle, so it's not like he was wasting a pitch. So inexcusable to get beat with your 2nd best pitch in that situation...So, either Martin or the bench f'd up. Same story yesterday on Braun's HR; 0-2 count, Braun had chased 2 breaking balls and looked bad on them, and instead of going out of the zone, Martin was set up right down the middle.Thank god for Andre Ethier; everytime he does something good, I feel like it's another nail driven into Juan Pierre's coffin. Also, nice that Oswalt doesn't suck like the rest of the Astros pitching.
I haven't said anything about it yet, but why do Dodger fans hate Pierre so much? Is he really that bad?
I haven't said anything about it yet, but why do Dodger fans hate Pierre so much? Is he really that bad?
Yes. His numbers are completely empty and useless. Basically, he only gets on base when he gets a hit, and he rarely has any extra base hits whatsoever, so he doesn't produce many runs. His lone asset is his speed, but he is continually hittting the ball in the air doing his best Willie Mays Hayes impersonation. Plus, he has absolutely no arm in the field.The casual fan thinks he is good because he gets lots of hits and is fast, but he is marginal at best. He wouldn't be a bad 4th/5th OF/pinch runner, but he is not getting paid to be that kind of player.
I'm assuming it's not hate really, (though I haven't watched enough of the Dodgers this year) I assume it's primarily because of the abundance of OFers who are better, Kemp, Ramirez, Ethier, etc.Edit: Or maybe it's hate.
Yes. His numbers are completely empty and useless. Basically, he only gets on base when he gets a hit, and he rarely has any extra base hits whatsoever, so he doesn't produce many runs. His lone asset is his speed, but he is continually hittting the ball in the air doing his best Willie Mays Hayes impersonation. Plus, he has absolutely no arm in the field.The casual fan thinks he is good because he gets lots of hits and is fast, but he is marginal at best. He wouldn't be a bad 4th/5th OF/pinch runner, but he is not getting paid to be that kind of player.
What contract did Collette give him?
I'm assuming it's not hate really, (though I haven't watched enough of the Dodgers this year) I assume it's primarily because of the abundance of OFers who are better, Kemp, Ramirez, Ethier, etc.
I didn't really hate him until he started whining in the press about not playing. He also made a big deal about how the Dodgers forced him to learn LF this year, and then had him switch back to CF when they got Manny. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I understand that he is frustrated, but he got more of a chance then the numbers showed he deserved for most of the year, and now it is incredibly obvious that the team is a lot better with a Manny-Kemp-Ethier OF. Fortunately for him, I still expect Torre to trot out Slappy McPierre out there a few times a week. He's a veteran and has a WS ring after all! Any other resentment towards him really should be directed at Colletti for acquiring two pathetic CFs in consecutive off seasons; first JP, and then Andruw Jones.

greg maddux is coming back to the dodgers :club:. Espn has just reported that the LA times reports he is back. They are not sure what they gave up, but still great to add to your pitching depth which we desperately need right now.

greg maddux is coming back to the dodgers :club:. Espn has just reported that the LA times reports he is back. They are not sure what they gave up, but still great to add to your pitching depth which we desperately need right now.
Obviously good, especially with Penny done.I'm close to putting $1k on them to get to the WS at 7-1. Their bullpen is nuts where it needs to be nuts when Saito comes back. Their SP is at the very least pretty good. I don't hate the offense with Manny now. The only team I'd be afraid of are the Mets because you get Santana for 3 games, but it's not like he's unbeateable anymore. I like our chances. Thoughts, Patrick? Btw, I've only watched 3 games this year so I may have no idea what I'm talking about, but I don't think you really have to watch baseball to get 90% of what's going on, if you know what you're looking for.
Obviously good, especially with Penny done.I'm close to putting $1k on them to get to the WS at 7-1. Their bullpen is nuts where it needs to be nuts when Saito comes back. Their SP is at the very least pretty good. I don't hate the offense with Manny now. The only team I'd be afraid of are the Mets because you get Santana for 3 games, but it's not like he's unbeateable anymore. I like our chances. Thoughts, Patrick? Btw, I've only watched 3 games this year so I may have no idea what I'm talking about, but I don't think you really have to watch baseball to get 90% of what's going on, if you know what you're looking for.
Dont make this bet. They are only about 50% to make the playoffs and for your bet to be profitable they would then need to have an atleast average chance to win the NL pennant which they just dont have. They will not have home field advantage and they dont stack up well against the Brewers/Cubs/Mets/Phillies. In the Sports betting thread in Sports general I made some better suggestions for world series and pennant bets imo.
Dont make this bet. They are only about 50% to make the playoffs and for your bet to be profitable they would then need to have an atleast average chance to win the NL pennant which they just dont have. They will not have home field advantage and they dont stack up well against the Brewers/Cubs/Mets/Phillies. In the Sports betting thread in Sports general I made some better suggestions for world series and pennant bets imo.
I'm not trying to make a "profitable" +EV bet, per se. Just a gamble. I'd like their chances against all those teams, except maybe the Mets.
I'm not trying to make a "profitable" +EV bet, per se. Just a gamble. I'd like their chances against all those teams, except maybe the Mets.
I went the other way. I picked up a piece of the D'Backs at 23-1 to win the WS a few weeks ago. Coming into today, the D'bags were a little worse than 2-1 favorites over the Dodgers to win the NL West. I don't think my position has real value, necessarily, but I anticipated the price would drop when I placed the bet. Unfortunately, it hasn't fallen as much as I thought, so I might have to keep it and hedge it out the old fashioned way in the playoffs. Actually, now that I think of it, I have pretty significant positions on a lot of likely playoff teams. I have the Mets to win the NL Pennant at 8.75-1, the White Sox at to win the World Series at 19-1, and the Diamondbacks at 23-1. I think the last is by far the weakest, but I firmly believe I have tangible value on the first two. If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to lock in a few units. If all 3 teams make it to the playoffs, however, I might just close my eyes and gamble.
I went the other way. I picked up a piece of the D'Backs at 23-1 to win the WS a few weeks ago. Coming into today, the D'bags were a little worse than 2-1 favorites over the Dodgers to win the NL West. I don't think my position has real value, necessarily, but I anticipated the price would drop when I placed the bet. Unfortunately, it hasn't fallen as much as I thought, so I might have to keep it and hedge it out the old fashioned way in the playoffs. Actually, now that I think of it, I have pretty significant positions on a lot of likely playoff teams. I have the Mets to win the NL Pennant at 8.75-1, the White Sox at to win the World Series at 19-1, and the Diamondbacks at 23-1. I think the last is by far the weakest, but I firmly believe I have tangible value on the first two. If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to lock in a few units. If all 3 teams make it to the playoffs, however, I might just close my eyes and gamble.
I think the DBacks are a good dark horse to come out of the NL if they win the West, mainly because who wants to face Webb/Haren in a series? Their hitting has obviously been inconsistent, but there is always the chance that they get hot for a short period of time.The Dodgers are incapable of getting over the hump so to speak in the west. Every time they catch the Dbacks, they fall a couple games back. ****ing losers. They are down 1-0 early to the Rockies again today, if they get swept at home before going on a 10 game road trip things will look bleak. I didn't watch last night's game because I had a home game, which by the looks of the game recap/highlights saved me a ton of aggrevation. Andruw Jones hit two HRs in Vegas the other night, hopefully they leave him down there the rest of the year. It would be nice if Furcal could get back before 9/1 (players have to be on the 25 man roster by then to be available for the playoffs). It would be even nicer if Saito somehow could come back as well, because the bullpen has been shaky at best without him.
LOL at Manny beating out an infield hit and then stealing second without a throw. How embarrassed are you if you are the Red Sox?
FYPBut seriously, Dodgers... Do me a favor and beat the Dbacks. We'd (Cubs) rather play you guys in the playoffs. :club:
FYPBut seriously, Dodgers... Do me a favor and beat the Dbacks. We'd (Cubs) rather play you guys in the playoffs. :club:
id really love another chance to quote your post. goooooo dodgers, almost a must win today, cant afford to go 4 games back
I'm glad I didn't make the bet.Blown Save, then bases loaded nobody out and don't score in the 10th.
Pathetic. I'm pretty sure I can throw a good enough slider to get Peter Happy out, yet the Dodgers didn't throw a single breaking ball to him in either AB. I miss Sammy.