NL tourney, blinds are 20/40, you hold 1600 in chips, 10 10 in late position. Raised it up to 100 to go, button (800 in chips) calls, sb fold, bb fold. Pot: 260 Flop K 9 4 First to act, bet: 110, call Pot: 480 Turn 5, check, button goes all in for 590 Your move... I'll tell you my move and the result after a few opinions.

I cant see a king in your hand, so whats there to think about. I mean if you bet out when you are first to act and get raised all in from a guy who is sort of shortstacked, he has at least a king in his hand nine times out of ten. Easy fold.

I would fold so quickly that it would make your head spin... the felt on the table would come close to catching fire because of the friction of me throwing my hand into the muck with such velocity.However, I have a STRONG STRONG feeling that you are going to tell us that you called and he flipped over a complete bluff making you look like a genius when really you're just a poor player who can't put down a pocket pair just because they're both facedown and in your hand.

fold who cares what he has, but you must have called him and been right that he was bluffing like AJ or something, why you checked the turn if you were willing to even consider calling 590 is beyond me, if i check there i fold so fast, maybe even faster then the auto fold thing does. I just don't get why you want to call of all your chips or well half your remaining stack. so i believe you must fold here sense you didn't bet, not that checking was the wrong move just that in doing so you gave up the hand to an all in bet.

I would fold so quickly that it would make your head spin... the felt on the table would come close to catching fire because of the friction of me throwing my hand into the muck with such velocity.However, I have a STRONG STRONG feeling that you are going to tell us that you called and he flipped over a complete bluff making you look like a genius when really you're just a poor player who can't put down a pocket pair just because they're both facedown and in your hand.
you're right. Initially my instinct was to lay it down, and fast. However, I've been practicing reading opponents betting patterns on the internet, and it seemed fishy from this guy, you would have to have been at the table to understand. I went into the tank and tried to decide what he had. I didn't want to commit this many chips so early in the tourney with a marginal hand. I figured any JJ QQ KK AA would have been raised preflop, considering how short stacked he was, that left pretty much AK or any smaller pair. The call on the flop led me to believe he didn't have a King, he would have raised, again you gotta know the player I was up against. Figured on the turn he was making a move on the pot. I hit the clock and ran it down, called. He held a small pair, missed his set, I took it down. I'm not a great player, I'm not even a good player, but I'm learning.."A strong move at the poker table usually means weakness"

yep and your the guy that loves to pay me off, especially if i hit my nines there, I flat call the flop and push on the turn cause well looks like a bluff, and fishy like i want a call if i leave my self some chips.

"A strong move at the poker table usually means weakness"
yeah, or the small stack trying to double up through strength...I think it was still a bad call because if he had a king with a weak kicker, he might just call the flop bet and then once you check it he knows his hand is best, I don't know, you had a decent chip stack and would still be at about 900 or so if you lost the hand, so you could afford to gamble. but if you were willing to call all of his chips, you should have put him for the test of all his chips... in the long run though, I think you will be wasting money if you make this call often.

I know the standard raise is 3.5-4.5x the big blind, I was just going for consistency. I'd been raising to 100 the entire level, I'll kick it up a notch next tourney. As far as the opponent, most times I would lose that hand, for sure. I dunno, just had a feeling, most times that feeling makes ya go broke, but whatever I was happy with the call. Caught a hyper-aggressive guy with his hands down his pants..then again, the fact that it is 4 in the morning could have played a factor in my decision, lol.Cheers

The thing is, from the perspective of the other player, it looks like the player is making a standard raise, a standard continuation bet on the flop to pick it up if everyone missed, and a surrendering of the hand when his continuation bet was called. When the turn got checked to him, he probably figured his pair was good and went all-in because he only had 600 more and if he was going to bet 300 or so to protect his pair on the turn, he was going to put the other 300 in anyway, so why not just bet it all and seal the deal?On that note is it worth a call? Sure, if you have a gut feeling. Why not. If you feel like you're beat, you're probably beat, if you feel like you're best, you're probably best. If you have any sort of reads, go with those too.