barry g. says daniel plays in the "2nd tier" .

No, the difference is that the average poker player does no harm. Here in the U.S. lately watching the extreme right foment intolerance to garner support for policies that are a blatent attack on the middle and working class has been pretty discouraging. No worries, the kiddo shows not the slightest interest in poker as a profession, and is much too independent thinking to give Mom much say in what he does anyway. .
AWWWW.....Nice Hyperbole......Let me get my hip boots.......
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stockbrokher-I wouldn't be too worried about your son's career pursuits just yet, if he's still in high school. I doubt he still wants to be a politician in 3 years. As far as encouraging him to pursue poker as a profession, that's probably the worst thing you can do. I love poker, and you can make a good deal of money playing, but trust me while all top poker players are probably very intelligent, not all intelligent people can be top poker players, or even handle playing for a living. If anything encourage him to play poker as a hobby, from personal experience I can tell you that poker is way better than playing Madden or Halo on the Xbox.

I've played alot of internet games over the past few years. One of the biggest attractions to the gaming world is the forums that these players use to try to belittle other people with their supposed skills coupled with their even higher ranked egos...After reading this post, as a 21 year old college student, to me, this is nothing more than a higher intellengience forum but with the same mix of people who stick up for one side than another trying to defend each other's egos...The only real way to settle these disputes usually is by action, and not by more of the same flame post after flame post (flame post in being a post that directly points someone out and tries to make them look bad as igorantly as possible). Why can't Daniel or Barry just try to work out some sort of agreement where they play 3 or 5 different kinds of poker for all the same stakes and maybe have one of the games chosen by the general public. From what I see, like I said, is that nothing beneficial is coming out of this except for more heated arguments about who thinks who is really the better poker player and who is/isn't considered an icon already. I'd also like to say, and my apologies to those I offend. Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded.We all forget sometimes that Poker IS a game of luck, no questions asked. It's luck to get the cards that you do get, and it's luck to play with the cards that you use later in each hand, (flop,turn, river for hold'em as an example). So, Danny's success as a tournament player I feel, requires much more "luck" that doees being a "Grinder" as it seems that Barry G is more of.No doubt that both Barry and Daniel are 2 of my many favorite players to watch on any weekly basis. I wish both of them and their families blessings, because after all, we're not arguing over life or death here, but get this... WHOSE BETTER AT POKER.. c'mon guys. Poker is a game, and should be enjoyed by all, and not to be used as a tool of redicule and belittling.I wish BOTH Daniel and Barry good fortune in the future, may luck be on your sides,-EV

We all forget sometimes that Poker IS a game of luck, no questions asked.
No questions asked? Can I please just ask one? Thank you kindly...Why are there PROFESSIONALS in a game of luck? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, But I haven't met a proffesional Lottery Ticket Buyer in Quite a while...I recommend that you perhaps read a poker book before you come out with something like this.
So, Danny's success as a tournament player I feel, requires much more "luck" that doees being a "Grinder" as it seems that Barry G is more of.
Once again, You're talking about something you have no knowledge of. Daniel has played poker since he was in Highschool and Strangely enough he's actually seen 1 or 2 cash tables in his life. He Grinded it out and played 5/10 when he was 18 and moved his way up through the limits, I believe that would be enough to qualify as someone who can hold there own at a cash table. Daniel is hardly a Tournament Pro buddy... do some homework, read some of his old articles for starters.
I wish BOTH Daniel and Barry good fortune in the future, may luck be on your sides
I'm sure they appreciate the kindness, But luck doesn't have anything to do with it.

Listen kid, Why don't u take ur 1200+ posts that you've wasted typing, on this forum and throw them away, because if ur replies are similiar to the one that I just read, it must be pretty redundant.I play or think about poker honestly maybe 4 hours a day, you don't think that I realize that poker is skillful? I'm trying to build up a bankroll myself so maybe some day I can move to higher limit games and start playing for money that may have a substantial effect on my life... I just find it funny how some people forget the fact that Poker is luck when it comes down to it. Jayson, show me where the skill is where you try to get AA in the hole everytime you play...or to try to flop the nuts... that's the kind of luck I'm talking about... you can't refute that. K? Thx.I have read Doyle's Books already, but thanks for your kind reply to a first time poster on this site, I'm sure you help keep alot of new posters on here with that type of attitude.

Listen kid,  Why don't u take ur 1200+ posts that you've wasted typing, on this forum and throw them away, because if ur replies are similiar to the one that I just read, it must be pretty redundant.I play or think about poker honestly maybe 4 hours a day, you don't think that I realize that poker is skillful?  I'm trying to build up a bankroll myself so maybe some day I can move to higher limit games and start playing for money that may have a substantial effect on my life...  I just find it funny how some people forget the fact that Poker is luck when it comes down to it.  Jayson, show me where the skill is where you try to get AA in the hole everytime you play...or to try to flop the nuts... that's the kind of luck I'm talking about... you can't refute that. K? Thx.I have read Doyle's Books already, but thanks for your kind reply to a first time poster on this site, I'm sure you help keep alot of new posters on here with that type of attitude.
thanks for being an arrogant jackass. and thanks for flaming the moderator of the forum. very smart.
Listen kid,  Why don't u take ur 1200+ posts that you've wasted typing, on this forum and throw them away, because if ur replies are similiar to the one that I just read, it must be pretty redundant.I play or think about poker honestly maybe 4 hours a day, you don't think that I realize that poker is skillful?  I'm trying to build up a bankroll myself so maybe some day I can move to higher limit games and start playing for money that may have a substantial effect on my life...  I just find it funny how some people forget the fact that Poker is luck when it comes down to it.  Jayson, show me where the skill is where you try to get AA in the hole everytime you play...or to try to flop the nuts... that's the kind of luck I'm talking about... you can't refute that. K? Thx.I have read Doyle's Books already, but thanks for your kind reply to a first time poster on this site, I'm sure you help keep alot of new posters on here with that type of attitude.
That's why the pros are pros, they can win without hitting AA everyhand or at all even. if you think this much about poker and still think it's all about luck I think you need to think a bit more.I'll think you'll find there's other things including: reading people, decided whether to call, raise or fold and a plethora of other things than just luck. Ever wondered why DN makes so many final tables? ever wondered why phill hellmuth has 9 bracelets? ever wondered why Gus hansen has made so much even though he wins tournaments without even paint cards?

Good posts Kangaroo.I have recently apologized for the above comments I made a couple days ago, and I'm working on getting to understand the moderator of this forum; Jayson. He's pretty cool and also alot like me in alot of ways, sports background interests, and obviously... poker..DUH! :DI'll try not to be so ignorant next time you forumites put me on "forum tilt" and make me spaz at u guys again lol.. I just don't want to turn into the ugly green monster.

No questions asked? Can I please just ask one? Thank you kindly...Why are there PROFESSIONALS in a game of luck? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, But I haven't met a proffesional Lottery Ticket Buyer in Quite a while...I've been lurking for quite a while, and just started posting. I've read a lot of what you've had to say in the past, Jayson, and I have a lot of respect for what you've posted previously. With that being said, just what are you getting at here? Are you actually insinuating that there isn't a high luck factor in poker? Compared to classic skill games, such as chess, the luck factor inherent in poker is extremely pronounced.I know you're smart enough and well-read enough to understand that there are quite a few circumstances that arise in poker where the outcome is entirely based on dumb, random luck. I won't go make this a long post, filled with circumstances where two players made the correct play, but only one can win. You understand that. My point is, as a moderator of a poker forum, you should avoid insinuating that results in poker are entirely, 100% based upon skill, as that philosophy is just as damaging of a misconception as thinking that it's entirely 100% luck to a novice poker player...which is by and large the majority of people who read the forum you moderate. While I think anyone who says "poker is all about luck" is delusional...I think anyone who believes that they can completely eliminate randomness and every variable at the card table through superior play is similarly deluded. Professional poker players differ from the hypothetical professional lottery player in the sense that their skill allows for the gambles they take to have an extremely high rate of return when compared to other gambles. However, I don't believe there is a successful poker player alive who doesn't realize that in the short run, they are gambling. These gambles have a high enough edge for the pro to actually consider them "investments" to be sure, but even an 85% chance of winning can get cracked 20 times in a row. I'm sure they appreciate the kindness, But luck doesn't have anything to do with it.The hell it doesn't.

This thread is getting pretty ridiculous, however, there were a lot of great views posted.The only thing I am getting tired of is people saying that DN is the best poker player ever and keep kissing his a$$. I have no doubt that DN will be considered one of the best poker players ever but he still has a long way to go. To compare DN's accomplishments at this point to Doyle Brunson, Chip Reese, Amarillo Slim, Stu Ungar, Johnny Chan's is ridiculous. Yes, DN has been around the game for a long time and has been successful, but just because he had a great 2004 run(coincidently when poker popularity took off) and has a great personality for TV does not make him a legend just yet. I am not dogging DN in anyway as I am a very big fan of his skill and talent. I am just clarifying my views on people comparing his accomplishments to the legends of the game.

Didn't say he said luck had nothing to do with poker...I'm sure he understands that it does. Just said it's sketchy area to go into and you have to be careful what you're implying. Figured I would point that out since the thread had gotten so off topic anyway. A lot of people who read a little too much into "Rounders" could take some of those previous statements as affirmation of these ill-founded beliefs.

Didn't say he said luck had nothing to do with poker...I'm sure he understands that it does. Just said it's sketchy area to go into and you have to be careful what you're implying. Figured I would point that out since the thread had gotten so off topic anyway. A lot of people who read a little too much into "Rounders" could take some of those previous statements as affirmation of these ill-founded beliefs.
Zdaddy, I'm agreeing with you. I was stating that in previous posts (not just this particular one) by some members elude that luck plays no part in the outcome. I just feel that the statement that Luck has nothing to do with it, is idiotic. I'm not calling anyone an idiot.
Personally, the average politician and the average poker player contribute nothing at all to society.You're better off letting your son join a native population in some remote country, learning to live peacefully off the land without exploiting it through a non-productive western job that pays far more than it's worth.-adam
No, the difference is that the average poker player does no harm. Here in the U.S. lately watching the extreme right foment intolerance to garner support for policies that are a blatent attack on the middle and working class has been pretty discouraging. No worries, the kiddo shows not the slightest interest in poker as a profession, and is much too independent thinking to give Mom much say in what he does anyway. speedz99 and deviper: Though my son's his IQ is almost incalculable, he is as verbal as Tony Blair, and wrote respectable science fiction since the 6th grade, he is dyslexic and writes alot like deviper, especially in on-line communication which is quick and not spell-checked. No amount of review helps, every word is presented to his brain differently, he can spell the same word correctly once and then incorrectly in the very next line. Poor spelling is not necessarily a sign of sloppiness or lack of intelligence.
"my son's [...] IQ is almost incalculable"anyone else find this funny? how can something be 'almost' incalculable? it either is calculable or it isn't. isn't intelligence largely genetic?all jokes aside, i would hope such an exceptionally brilliant child would be encouraged to pursue a career in medicine or a similar socially beneficial pursuit. intelligence is only one of many many skills necessary to become a professional poker player, so your son's high intelligence by no means guarantees his success. it is much more likely that if he were to pursue this as a career he would be at best mildly successful and contribute little or nothing to society, and at worst, be unsuccessful, would waste his intelligence, leech off society and contribute nothing.cheers,daniel
"my son's [...] IQ is almost incalculable"anyone else find this funny? how can something be 'almost' incalculable? it either is calculable or it isn't. isn't intelligence largely genetic?
it's a hyperbole.