New Challenge ( Tourney Style )

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just took second in the 100+R on stars (brag obv).Wound up HU with xxjondxx. This is the second time I wind up HU with him at a final table in the last couple of months. Last one was the 100k nightly. Got crushed a second time:( I just can't beat this guy. Earlier when we were down to 3 tables or so I got all in with him for 2nd chip lead and lost a huuuge pot. grinded my way back, short all the time till the final table then HU and BAM!!! pair over pair. Anyway he played great and deserved win.
Congrats Armen!!!

Thnaks for the recognition guys but, lol I'm not that good:( I still have a long way to go. pretty unhappy with my play 4 handed today actualy. Troyo, I think we can use this thread a little better to learn from each other. too often it turns into a place to vent (I'm just as guilty as everyone). I'm going to try and fish out some hands to post.

ok here is onewe are 4 handed Edit: xxjondxx and GrtWhtHype are very good regulars.Thoughts on pre, flop, turn?PokerStars Game #23748621306: Tournament #131666262, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XVIII (2500/5000) - 2009/01/10 0:44:04 ETTable '131666262 6' 9-max Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 2: cody76111 (96930 in chips) Seat 4: armen13 (162840 in chips) Seat 6: GrtWhtHype (131364 in chips) Seat 8: xxjondxx (225366 in chips) cody76111: posts the ante 500armen13: posts the ante 500GrtWhtHype: posts the ante 500xxjondxx: posts the ante 500cody76111: posts small blind 2500armen13: posts big blind 5000*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to armen13 [Js Kh]GrtWhtHype: folds xxjondxx: raises 7500 to 12500cody76111: folds armen13: calls 7500*** FLOP *** [Jh Qh 8h]armen13: checks xxjondxx: bets 18750armen13: calls 18750*** TURN *** [Jh Qh 8h] [Ac]armen13: checks xxjondxx: bets 45000me??

I probably c/r flop but as played turn is a pretty puke spot, I think call and reevaluate river unimproved. Not to sure about his game but that turn is such a good card to bluff there is value in calling I think, and he prob shuts down alot on the river.

wow.. i think flop is fine on your part.. but I might like bet/3bet shoving a little bit more. He seems like a pretty aggressive player so I think your donk bet is gonna get raised a fair amt. and we can get this in on the flop. As played... really sick spot but I think im with silky that calling>folding>shoving.

wow.. i think flop is fine on your part.. but I might like bet/3bet shoving a little bit more. He seems like a pretty aggressive player so I think your donk bet is gonna get raised a fair amt. and we can get this in on the flop. As played... really sick spot but I think im with silky that calling>folding>shoving.
i think he will call and fold way more than he will raise us on this flop if we lead fwiw...and ya i like ur line assuming u called

I'm going to post this in here because I don't really know how else to go about it. I am currently looking into getting staked, some life stuff has come up and I am thinking it might be a good idea to pull my roll offline, so that either means dropping down in stakes or just not playing. If anyone is interested drop me a PM to discuss.

I'm going to post this in here because I don't really know how else to go about it. I am currently looking into getting staked, some life stuff has come up and I am thinking it might be a good idea to pull my roll offline, so that either means dropping down in stakes or just not playing. If anyone is interested drop me a PM to discuss.
i think there is only 1 person on this forum who stakes anybody...id prob just pm the big stakers on p5s
Does anybody like 3 betting preflop? Sometimes against guys that are aggro, I like to try and take the pot pre, and try to stop them from attacking my blinds as often.
3balling def is a solid option IMO. Stack size is kind of akward what is our plan though? 3bet fold? Call a shove?
ok here is onewe are 4 handed Edit: xxjondxx and GrtWhtHype are very good regulars.Thoughts on pre, flop, turn?PokerStars Game #23748621306: Tournament #131666262, $100+$9 Hold'em No Limit - Level XVIII (2500/5000) - 2009/01/10 0:44:04 ETTable '131666262 6' 9-max Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 2: cody76111 (96930 in chips) Seat 4: armen13 (162840 in chips) Seat 6: GrtWhtHype (131364 in chips) Seat 8: xxjondxx (225366 in chips) cody76111: posts the ante 500armen13: posts the ante 500GrtWhtHype: posts the ante 500xxjondxx: posts the ante 500cody76111: posts small blind 2500armen13: posts big blind 5000*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to armen13 [Js Kh]GrtWhtHype: folds xxjondxx: raises 7500 to 12500cody76111: folds armen13: calls 7500*** FLOP *** [Jh Qh 8h]armen13: checks xxjondxx: bets 18750armen13: calls 18750*** TURN *** [Jh Qh 8h] [Ac]armen13: checks xxjondxx: bets 45000me??
Does anybody like 3 betting preflop? Sometimes against guys that are aggro, I like to try and take the pot pre, and try to stop them from attacking my blinds as often.
I thought the same thing. I probably 3 bet here.

I folded and I am still not sure if it was correct.Some reads etc.First, he is the CL and I am second in chips. If he plays a big pot and loses he could be the short stack. I could get knocked out and lose a LOT of equity, specialy since I have been able to put a lot of pressure on the other stacks. In our past history I have noticed that he pays close attention to these factors as he should.jondx is very careful playing flops. I have seen him (even at this final table today) raise and check down dangerous boards. That is definitely a dangerous board so I think his bet here makes his range polarized between air and realy strong draws/hands. My call should give him pause even if he has an Ace. The turn should be a mixed blessing for him if he has a weak Ace as it makes the board even scarier. He will need to balance that out of course to prevent some draws from getting there. The 45k on the turn represents a third of my remaining stack. If I call and fold river, I will be the short stack. It's a bet that builds the pot enough for a shove on the river. I think he is very strong here.Maybe I am leveling myself....As far as flop, I opted to check for pot control. My concern was a CR would reveal my hand as a draw. My plan was to lead or CR turn on a non puke card. Anyway, I think there is a lot of room for discussion here and I am not convinced that I played this correctly on any street.

If you call the turn, are you check / calling the river as well hoping he shuts down? Or are you leading? Folding to a river bet if you check?
my guess is shoving is +ev but i think calling is wayyy more optimal with a very strong hand like KJo 32 bbs deep or w/e

I think what I don't like about just calling this flop, is that we don't really know what cards to root for. Like if a heart comes, it could kill your action unless he has the A, but if we get the money in on the flop, we know that whatever he has, we usually have something to root for, and will usually win with one or the other (not sure if that makes sense, I'm bad at explaining my thoughts).

I folded and I am still not sure if it was correct.Some reads etc.First, he is the CL and I am second in chips. If he plays a big pot and loses he could be the short stack. I could get knocked out and lose a LOT of equity, specialy since I have been able to put a lot of pressure on the other stacks. In our past history I have noticed that he pays close attention to these factors as he should.jondx is very careful playing flops. I have seen him (even at this final table today) raise and check down dangerous boards. That is definitely a dangerous board so I think his bet here makes his range polarized between air and realy strong draws/hands. My call should give him pause even if he has an Ace. The turn should be a mixed blessing for him if he has a weak Ace as it makes the board even scarier. He will need to balance that out of course to prevent some draws from getting there. The 45k on the turn represents a third of my remaining stack. If I call and fold river, I will be the short stack. It's a bet that builds the pot enough for a shove on the river. I think he is very strong here.Maybe I am leveling myself....As far as flop, I opted to check for pot control. My concern was a CR would reveal my hand as a draw. My plan was to lead or CR turn on a non puke card. Anyway, I think there is a lot of room for discussion here and I am not convinced that I played this correctly on any street.
I think for the reasons above this makes it a call... I think he has air or very strong hand tons, as i doubt he is ever going to get tricky with a hand like KQ. I think his range is way more weighted towards bluffs here and u still have the 2nd nut flush draw and I would expect him to check back the turn with the Ace of hearts a non zero % of the time looking to not build a big pot and just take the free card
my guess is shoving is +ev but i think calling is wayyy more optimal with a very strong hand like KJo 32 bbs deep or w/e
That makes sense... so would you say in general you are calling more with stronger hands, and 3 betting with weaker hands? Or just calling with hands like KJ because you have a better chance of knowing where you're at on flops that hit you as opposed to hands like 77 or 88 where you'll rarely know where you're at on a lot of flops?
That makes sense... so would you say in general you are calling more with stronger hands, and 3 betting with weaker hands? Or just calling with hands like KJ because you have a better chance of knowing where you're at on flops that hit you as opposed to hands like 77 or 88 where you'll rarely know where you're at on a lot of flops?
ya basically and KJ is a very strong hand based on his raising range (which im assuming is pretty loose) but not that strong against the range he will get it in with...When you flop top pair with KJ you can be pretty comfortable building a decent sized pot b/c he will have lots of worse kings and jacks iin his range
I think for the reasons above this makes it a call... I think he has air or very strong hand tons, as i doubt he is ever going to get tricky with a hand like KQ. I think his range is way more weighted towards bluffs here and u still have the 2nd nut flush draw and I would expect him to check back the turn with the Ace of hearts a non zero % of the time looking to not build a big pot and just take the free card
Interesting point NNB. Do you think our hand has showdown value if we miss river? If so, what is plan if we miss? I can't see a blocking bet with our stack, do we C/F to a shove?