At least people are still talking about Jamie Gold. He's not sunk into the total obscurity that some of the other Main Event winners have (think Jerry Yang).
I wouldn't say Yang has sunk into obscurity, it's just the the poker world has realised somewhat that the ME is just another $10k buy-in tournament. No one talks about Mike Vela, Mark Newhouse, Alexander Kostritsyn, Boring Mc Bored Bored etc, and they have all won major events. Jamie is a character, and it takes either that or consistent winnings to become famous in the world of poker I think.

I am not jealous of Jamie Gold because he won the ME. I am jealous on the basis of the fact that he is the self-proclaimed "world's greatest bluffer" and he has a bigger boner then me. :club:

• 1 year later...
Gold is kind of an ass, and at numerous times really stepped over the line as far as what is allowed in a poker tournament ("accidentally" flipping a card, telling his opponent what he holds, etc).
I think this is probably what bothers people most about Gold. But in his defense I was watching coverage of another tourney (might have even been this year's WSOP ME) where he was talking about his antics and he was basically saying that he was encouraged to engage in that kind of behavior for the cameras, and was apparently told by many people that it was acceptable. I'm not saying the guy's a gem but there is a lot of crap that goes on at those events that wouldn't happen if not for the television coverage.
I've got nothing against McClumpo whatsoever. Seems like a nice enough guy to me... A little small perhaps, but if that means he can fit into 3ft long couches, then more power to him.
why is this so funny? I think it was funny :club:
I am not jealous of Jamie Gold because he won the ME. I am jealous on the basis of the fact that he is the self-proclaimed "world's greatest fluffer" and he has a bigger boner then me. :club:
fyp, but yeah, my hate is directed more at ALL the donks who make mistakes and get rewarded for them at my expense. All I ask is that I run like God for one afternoon every once in a while, not every time I play.

i wouldn't invite him to the home game, but its good to have someone to root against on HSP

i wouldn't invite him to the home game, but its good to have someone to root against on HSPdouble post even

It think he got a pretty raw deal with the TV editing. No doubt he was portrayed as a man who played with questionable tactics throughout the last week. Still i'd much rather watch him that a Hevad Khan type circa Main Event 2007.

fyp, but yeah, my hate is directed more at ALL the donks who make mistakes and get rewarded for them at my expense. All I ask is that I run like God for one afternoon every once in a while, not every time I play.
This.