Have You Read The Whole Bible?

Bible Reading and Christianity  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read the entire Bible sequentially (from Genesis, in order, to Revelation?

• Yes, from beginning to end, in order
    • I've read every single book, but not in order
    • I haven't read every single word in it, just certain books, chapters, or passages
  2. 2. Do you consider yourself a Christian?

• YES, Christian, and YES, have read it all
    • NO, not Christian, but YES, I've read the whole Bible
    • YES, Christian, but NO, I haven't read the whole Bible
    • NO, not Christian, and NO, haven't read the whole Bible
  3. 3. Do you think that Christians should read the entire Bible?

• Yes
    • No

I read the bible front to back when I was 16 or 17 years old.It took me, maybe, a week.It is a stupid and absurd book.More telling, any so called Christian who hasn't read the book, front to back, at least once, just for a broad and read-through view, despite the fact that one cannot really "dig into" it in one reading...any so called Christian who hasn't is laughable. Laughable.One is either a hypocrite, a rationalizer, near illiterate or suffers from his sin of sloth.I think that clears up any subtle implications people may think are being made here.I'll make them outright.
Looks like reading it straight through really helped this one, didn't it? And, I am a huge hypocrite, I have said that a million times. Knowledge isn't necessarily application in my case. As far as being subtle, whatever, and BTW even one of your own has disagreed with you. The Bible does not read like a novel. It jumps around, and in the case of the New Testament you would read essentially some of the same stories 3, 4 times. Psalms are nice, and the book of Esther is a good read, it reads like a novel, so does Kings. Ephesians is great- heck, a christian could possibly never even venture out of Ephesians his whole christianity and still always find something to better ones self. The bible isn't just a book of stories, of course you see it that way, and you have proclaimed it absurd. Even from a standpoint of literary importance you would be dead wrong and you know it- so many writers have biblical inference/reference it's awesome, and you know that. Of course, don't say it, though, you wouldn't want to give God any credit, don't dare do that. Nobodies being subtle- I knew what she was the minute she asked her question. My job at this point is to let the observers poke fun at the christians in the cages, I don't care. It bothers me not one bit that you, or anyone has disdain for the bible and christianity. That's your issue, and a large one at that, you must be miserable as a man can be, we are everywhere. We own your elections, we own your government, we own your policy makers and God owns your soul. I suppose you could just push all in, but either way when the hand plays out God will have 4 of a kind to your boat. We still got to have a drink sometime. I live near the 303 and Greenway, where do you live again?
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helped him understand it, form an opinion on it? Yes, I'd say it did.
Except there is much about the bible that is not stupid and not absurd. Flooding the world not get you? I get that. Strongest mans power in his hair not grab you? I get that. Dude coming back from the dead, not buying it? I get that. There is alot more to it than that. Hint: You don't get it reading it straight through. Not even close.
Except there is much about the bible that is not stupid and not absurd. Flooding the world not get you? I get that. Strongest mans power in his hair not grab you? I get that. Dude coming back from the dead, not buying it? I get that. There is alot more to it than that.
I think you missed my point. I don't see how it's possible to form an opinion (an informed opinion, either that it's 'good' or 'bad') without reading the damn thing. But if you've read it, you can form an opinion...
Hint: You don't get it reading it straight through. Not even close.
I don't see how you can say this with a straight face. I think it's possible to form an opinion on an encyclopedia by reading it piecemeal, and I feel the same way about the Bible. But you can't honestly say that you can't understand the Bible (or an encyclopedia) if you read it linearly?That said, and I'm sure I'm repeating someone in this thread at least, I don't understand how you could NOT want to read it linearly (and also refer to individual passages). Wouldn't that help you to understand it? Help you be a better Christian? As would (this is from memory, so I'm not going to directly quote you, but I think the intent is correct) going out and acting as the Bible instructs? Seems to me that a better understanding, a more through understanding, would only make it easier to go out and act in accordance with the Word.
I think you missed my point. I don't see how it's possible to form an opinion (an informed opinion, either that it's 'good' or 'bad') without reading the damn thing. But if you've read it, you can form an opinion...I don't see how you can say this with a straight face. I think it's possible to form an opinion on an encyclopedia by reading it piecemeal, and I feel the same way about the Bible. But you can't honestly say that you can't understand the Bible (or an encyclopedia) if you read it linearly?That said, and I'm sure I'm repeating someone in this thread at least, I don't understand how you could NOT want to read it linearly (and also refer to individual passages). Wouldn't that help you to understand it? Help you be a better Christian? As would (this is from memory, so I'm not going to directly quote you, but I think the intent is correct) going out and acting as the Bible instructs? Seems to me that a better understanding, a more through understanding, would only make it easier to go out and act in accordance with the Word.
I have read it both ways. I said that from the start. I didn't get anything from front to back. There is just to much. Compare it to this- what if you had every bit of information that was available on vascular surgery? Would you just start from one end and read straight through or would you come from different angles and STUDY?The answer is obvious, and it's not even close. Do you want to learn? Do it my way. Do you want to read? Do it the other way. It really is that simple. Sure, you can form an opinion, but it will be far from educated.
Something like 4 or 5 thousand miles away, currently. =P
That's right, you are currently overseas. I have a buddy overseas right now as well, he is in some part of Iraq called the resort or something like that? The way his wife tells it he is having a grand old time.
I have read it both ways. I said that from the start. I didn't get anything from front to back. There is just to much. Compare it to this- what if you had every bit of information that was available on vascular surgery? Would you just start from one end and read straight through or would you come from different angles and STUDY?The answer is obvious, and it's not even close. Do you want to learn? Do it my way. Do you want to read? Do it the other way. It really is that simple. Sure, you can form an opinion, but it will be far from educated.
if i wanted to know everything about vascular surgery, i'd read it all. and linearly is the easiest way to do that. if i wanted to know something specific about some artery, i'd look that up. i'm not saying that the only way to read the information is to read the whole thing, or that if i wanted to know the average survival rate of procedure A I'd have to read everything all over again; obviously there is a benefit to studying specific parts of the literature available. but to suggest that you can't form an educated opinion by reading either volume of information linearly (although I'm not sure how you do that in the vascular surgery example, but whatever) is ridiculous. or, perhaps, standard in your view - anyone who does it differently than how you are, is doing it wrong.

i missed that you said you had read it straight through earlier, i guess, but i'm curious - did you do that first? or near the beginning of your bible studies? did you find it easier to absorb/understand/apply the studied parts later in context of knowing the whole 'story'? harder? no different?

i missed that you said you had read it straight through earlier, i guess,
No. No you didn't.
I have read the whole Bible, I am sure of that. Front to back, page 1 to the end? No. My point was that it wouldn't matter. If I want to educate myself on what God thinks about hell, I use a concordance, I cross reference, I see what he has to say. How about marriage? I can do the same thing.
He's kind of making things up at this point.Which is cool, because, and I'm not being sarcastic here, he admitted to being a hypocrite.When someone admits hypocrisy, I am pretty much defeated as far as an argument goes.If someone bases their stance on "faith", the only way to make headway is to reveal to them their contradictions. If they have no problem with their contradictions and back them up with faith, there is no possibility for reasonable or logical effect.
Twice you've said, "it doesn't read like a normal book." What, exactly, do you mean by that? That there is no plot? No historical arc of events (because I'd disagree with that -- there clearly IS a historical arc from Genesis to Revelation)? No thematic arc (I'd disagree with that, too, to a degree, because if you read it linearly you do see thematic arcs across books)? Because it's divided into verses? What?Besides, how do you know it doesn't read like a normal book if you've never read it that way? Could the perception that it doesn't be the product of how you were taught to read it? And ultimately, the question about ambergris, though it's a bit of needling, does get at something that I want to know: if you haven't read it linearly, how can you be 100% sure you haven't missed something, one page out of 1,000 that you haven't flipped to yet?Suppose you were to read some of the disputed scriptures, like the Gnostic (Nag Hammadi) gospels or the Dead Sea Scrolls. Would you read them the same way you read the bible, because they're scriptures and organized similarly, or, skeptical of their holiness, would you read them the same way that you read The Purpose-Driven Life? Why would you make the choice you do? What is it about divinity that makes skipping around the best way to read it?
You've answered exactly NONE of these questions directly. But it's becoming quite apparent that you have no intention of answering them.
LoisMustDie: I have read it both ways. I said that from the start. I didn't get anything from front to back.
LoisMustDie: Front to back, page 1 to the end? No.
'Nuff said.So far you've said, "It doesn't read like a novel. It jumps around." and "We are talking about the Bible, not any other book. It isn't the same. It doesn't read like a novel. Not even close." and "See, because it doesn't read like a normal book and all of that." No further explanation on why it being different demands that you jump around in it, no explanation of why you get more out of jumping around than you ever possibly could linearly, no answer as to how you might read extra-biblical scriptures like the Dead Sea Scrolls, nada. Just several repetitions of "it doesn't read like a novel."
Speedz99 says of LoisMustDie: To answer your next question...yes, he's always like this. No, you can't get him to ever admit any kind of fallicy in his reasoning. It's best to leave this one alone.
I'll trust the forum veteran on this one. I'm beginning to get that. Not really trying to prove him wrong on anything, just asking (over and over again without getting anything other than a one-sentence "it's not like a novel" answer) what is important about the method of reading and why the bible is subject to a different method that people will apparently defend to the death but never explain.
i missed that you said you had read it straight through earlier, i guess, but i'm curious - did you do that first? or near the beginning of your bible studies? did you find it easier to absorb/understand/apply the studied parts later in context of knowing the whole 'story'? harder? no different?
You know what Spademan is right. I never did admit to reading it straight through. Truth is I vaguely remember doing so, it was inconsequential from a learning standpoint. When I said hypocrite it was a loose use of the term- can't be a hypocrite if you are upfront about the hypocrisy. I have said many times in this forum that I haven't even been to church in a long time. My own sins stop me from doing so, if I ma not going to live it the way it should be what's the point? I have said that time and time again.
You know what Spademan is right. I never did admit to reading it straight through. Truth is I vaguely remember doing so, it was inconsequential from a learning standpoint. When I said hypocrite it was a loose use of the term- can't be a hypocrite if you are upfront about the hypocrisy. I have said many times in this forum that I haven't even been to church in a long time. My own sins stop me from doing so, if I ma not going to live it the way it should be what's the point? I have said that time and time again.
oh dear, i'm afraid to ask, but isn't being a sinner one of the central reasons for going to church?
"You've answered exactly NONE of these questions directly. But it's becoming quite apparent that you have no intention of answering them. 'Nuff said.So far you've said, "It doesn't read like a novel. It jumps around." and "We are talking about the Bible, not any other book. It isn't the same. It doesn't read like a novel. Not even close." and "See, because it doesn't read like a normal book and all of that." No further explanation on why it being different demands that you jump around in it, no explanation of why you get more out of jumping around than you ever possibly could linearly, no answer as to how you might read extra-biblical scriptures like the Dead Sea Scrolls, nada. Just several repetitions of "it doesn't read like a novel."I'll trust the forum veteran on this one. I'm beginning to get that. Not really trying to prove him wrong on anything, just asking (over and over again without getting anything other than a one-sentence "it's not like a novel" answer) what is important about the method of reading and why the bible is subject to a different "method that people will apparently defend to the death but never explain.
"You've answered exactly NONE of these questions directly. But it's becoming quite apparent that you have no intention of answering them. 'Nuff said.So far you've said, "It doesn't read like a novel. It jumps around." and "We are talking about the Bible, not any other book. It isn't the same. It doesn't read like a novel. Not even close." and "See, because it doesn't read like a normal book and all of that." No further explanation on why it being different demands that you jump around in it, no explanation of why you get more out of jumping around than you ever possibly could linearly, no answer as to how you might read extra-biblical scriptures like the Dead Sea Scrolls, nada. Just several repetitions of "it doesn't read like a novel."I'll trust the forum veteran on this one. I'm beginning to get that. Not really trying to prove him wrong on anything, just asking (over and over again without getting anything other than a one-sentence "it's not like a novel" answer) what is important about the method of reading and why the bible is subject to a different "method that people will apparently defend to the death but never explain.
You know what? I will just quote myself with my answers here. My first answer, in it's entirety: "I imagine that I have over time. I really don't know how may times. Your outlook is kind of weird, though- that would be like having an issue with a doctor because he hasn't read every medical journal.Let me put it differently: You are missing the point. The Bible, christianity, it's not just reading material, it's a journey. I could read it 1000 times and take away something new, something deeper that I can apply to myself, each time.As far as what preachers want, who cares? It's about what God wants." I pretty much give you my view, but lets get on to my next answer. Here, I explain in more depth my stance. I believe you haven't read this, or, more importantly, are not applying your own linear advice:" All that being said, I have personally been in the company of some of the greatest biblical minds of the past century and they would never say they understood the whole Bible. There are pieces of Revelation that could mean many, many things.I have read the whole Bible, I am sure of that. Front to back, page 1 to the end? No. My point was that it wouldn't matter. If I want to educate myself on what God thinks about hell, I use a concordance, I cross reference, I see what he has to say. How about marriage? I can do the same thing.It may take some a lifetime to read it. There is no timetable given, no way in particular. Here is a great passage:And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.[27] And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,[28] Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.[29] Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.[30] And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?[31] And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.[32] The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:[33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.[34] And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?[35] Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.So, sure he was reading, but he wasn't getting it. The same applies today, and while I see why you make the mistake of thinking that it's important, it doesn't make it any less of a mistake. I would imagine that many christians I know probably haven't read the Bible front to back, they are to busy understanding and applying what they have read to there own lives.I am sure that many atheists HAVE read the Bible front to back, did it help? No. They lack understanding, so it meant nothing." Now, I don't see how I could possibly expound anymore, but I ma sure that I do, because really, I am THAT deep. Lets see what we have next:"lolz....Speedz, I really did answer his question. I explained why I think it is that some christians haven't read all of the Bible, I explained how it is studied and I explained why it is I thought it means nothing from Gods P.O.V. standpoint. Seriously, look at my answers, I addressed everything. He just didn't accept the answer." Well, I don't get really deep there, just point out that I answered your question. Lets see what we have next: "You're right, my bad. I think the disconnect is that most of your answers included a lot of, "The question isn't important or relevant." One area of interest in her line of questions (and your answers) is the one of preachers. I know you said that it doesn't matter what they think, but we all know that in the real world this isn't the case...I'm guessing that the majority of Christians (or any religion, seeing as it's part of human nature) would rather be told what to think and do than try and figure it out for themselves. In your experience, when preachers are confronted with questions do they typically answer or do they say, "Go read this section The Bible, think about it, and get back to me." Or maybe do they refer the person to specific lines from the book without much context?Oh, and he's a she." That's not me!! That's your respected forum veteran, agreeing with me!! I did, in fact, answer your question. Then, he asks some more detailed questions, for which I provide insightful, detailed answers. Here are some of them: "Oh, and to answer your question, preachers that I endorse and have seen work say ,"Here, start here. Read this, and then look at this, see what you can get from it." Now, ones that I have challenged do everything they can to make sure you DON'T read your bible because they know if you did than you would see right through them. One less buck in the collection plate.Dammit, i really don't want to do this today. icon_confused.gif" He had asked what preachers do. I gave him examples of 2 different kinds, that I respect and do not. At this point, you see, we have established that I don't believe that one must read the bible in a linear fashion to gain from the bible. We have moved beyond that, see, since I already explained my position and Speedz actually read my responses. Here, I will show some more where I expound on my position even further: "Who has that kind of time? If I have 2 hours a day to study, and I am dealing with issue X, and I want to know Gods thoughts, shouldn't I look into issue X, instead of wasting my time starting in Genesis?It couldn't hurt, but it's not really going to help, either. There are better ways of doing it, that's all." And then, we end up here, where you decide to get back in the mix, with this gem: "So if you were reading Tom Clancy, you would wonder what Tom has to say about cruise missiles, look up every instance of the phrase "cruise missile" and read the paragraph or two it's in. Then you'd wonder what he said about CIA agents, look up all occurences of "CIA," and read those paragraphs. Then you'd look up whatever the word of Tom said about double agents, terrorists, heaving bosoms, and Russia. Then you'd say you'd read the whole book. If he did something out of the ordinary for him and digressed to write, a la Moby Dick, about ambergris, you'd likely never see that part because you never stopped to wonder what Tom Clancy had to say about ambergris. Having read this book in this fashion, you'd then be fully prepared to answer anyone who said, "So, what's the latest Tom Clancy book about?"If you read, say, The Purpose-Driven Life, you read it non-linearly, by using the index to see what he says about church attendance, turn to those pages and read just them, then put the book aside until you wondered what he said about paying taxes, and so on. Or, you'd open it to a random page each morning and spend half an hour reading it from the random point you opened in onward.That would explain a LOT about the reading comprehension of many people I know." Where you compare the bible to a Tom Clancy novel, and then call people who read vs. study out by questioning there comprehension skills. So, I take the stance I have now, which is this- I entertained your question, gave you insight into the studying of the bible, and you spit on it, furthermore pretended that I never even gave you an answer. I did, that much is clear. It's not the answer you want. I don't care. I'm not here to convince you of anything. If you were a christian, you would get it. You aren't, you don't, and much like playing Madden is not actual football reading the bible is not studying it and it clearly isn't understanding.
oh dear, i'm afraid to ask, but isn't being a sinner one of the central reasons for going to church?
Sure. Except God wants you to change, and doesn't like the idea of someone who just sins with no desire to change. What do you do then? Do you think God is fooled? I don't. I couldn't live like that, it's either 100% or 0%. It's not an easy decision by any means, but I couldn't live with going to worship sunday morning and going through hand histories in my head. My heart was elsewhere. God deserves better. Everybody falls short, and maybe I am harder on myself than God is, but I didn't like how I felt as a person when I was living that double life. Sorry for the looonnnngg double post.

Ok, I'm posting this just because southern buddhist asked me personally to share my opinion and so I will. First of all, I agree with some of the things Lois and the other Christian posters have said, and disagreed with others. Anyways, this is what I think.First of all, I have read the whole Bible, though not linearly. The thing about that to understand is that the Bible isn't one book to be read linearly. It's a collection of books. I always start at the beginning of the particular book of the Bible I want to read and then read that book through. It doesn't hurt to not read the Bible linearly because a lot of the Bible is not in chronological order. For instance, the Gospels are arranged Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. However, they all cover the same time period, and Mark is actually believed to be the first Gospel written. To answer one of the questions my pastor frequently encourages my church to read through the Bible in one year. They actually have one-year Bibles with reading plans to make this easier for people who may not like to read that much. I think most pastors do encourage the reading of the entire Bible, before I did it, I actually saw reading through the Bible as a rite of passage. I think Christians should read the entire Bible, because if we really believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, then we should want to know every thing God wanted to say to us. The funny thing is there are several different ways someone can read the Bible. For instance, I'm in Bible college, and when I'm in the classroom I read the Bible for educational purposes. When I'm in church, I read the Bible for edification purposes, and when I have my daily time with God, I read the Bible for devotional purposes. Sometimes I might read the same scripture two or three times, a few years apart, and that scripture might not speak to me whatsoever, but then a little while down the line, I'll read that same scripture and it will speak directly to my life. That's why some Christians say that the "Word is alive." And it really is when you have the Holy Spirit in your life. The Bible, for all intents and purposes, becomes less of a book to read, and more like a teacher or confidant.Now, as for HOW I read the Bible now, I don't worry about reading it through over and over, though some books I do, but really I let the Holy Spirit guide me on what to read. For instance, in my daily time that I spend with God this is what I'm reading right now: I always start with a Psalm. The Psalms are just a good starting point for me because they are very prayerful, and they help me prepare my heart for my own time with God(which consists of prayer, Bible reading, worship, journaling, and listening for God to speak to my spirit, just in case you were wondering) After I read a Psalm I read what I call the "Proverb of the Day" which is a little gimmick I do because there 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs so I read the Proverb chapter with the corresponding date of the month, ex. today it's Feb. 8. So I would read Proverbs chapter 8. I read the Psalms and Proverbs everytime I read the Bible. Then I usually read what I feel like the Holy Spirit is leading me to read. Right now, I feel led to read the book of Matthew and the book of Revelations. So, first I'll read a couple of chapters in Matthew, then a couple in Revelations. After I get through with those, I think the Holy Spirit is leading me to read the books of 1 and 2 Samuel. So I just read what the Spirit leads. You see, the Holy Spirit is essential for me in my Bible reading. I rely alot of what I feel He is telling me to read. It's because of the Spirit that I some verses speak to my life, while others at that point in time, don't. Just the other day, I read Psalm 88, and I've read it at least a hundred times before, but yesterday it just leaped of the page at me. It felt like God was communicating with my heart as I read it. That's something that most unbelievers will never understand, and it's something that I could never fully explain to someone who has never experienced it.Now, this formula of reading works for ME. I know a lot of other people who have different methods of Bible reading. I know one of my pastors reads a chapter out of each of the groups of the Bible. Which are The Old testament history writings like the Torah (Genesis thru Deuteronomy) the Major Prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah, etc. The minor prophets like Malachi and Amos etc. The poetry and wisdom writings like Psalms, Proverbs. And the New Testament groups the Gospels, the Epistles and the eschatological writings (Revelations). That works for him. It wouldn't work for me. Because, everybody's relationship with God is somewhat different, because our relationship with God is personal.Anyways, I hope that answers some of the questions anyone has.

Ok, I'm posting this just because southern buddhist asked me personally to share my opinion and so I will. First of all, I agree with some of the things Lois and the other Christian posters have said, and disagreed with others. Anyways, this is what I think.First of all, I have read the whole Bible, though not linearly. The thing about that to understand is that the Bible isn't one book to be read linearly. It's a collection of books. I always start at the beginning of the particular book of the Bible I want to read and then read that book through. It doesn't hurt to not read the Bible linearly because a lot of the Bible is not in chronological order. For instance, the Gospels are arranged Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. However, they all cover the same time period, and Mark is actually believed to be the first Gospel written. To answer one of the questions my pastor frequently encourages my church to read through the Bible in one year. They actually have one-year Bibles with reading plans to make this easier for people who may not like to read that much. I think most pastors do encourage the reading of the entire Bible, before I did it, I actually saw reading through the Bible as a rite of passage. I think Christians should read the entire Bible, because if we really believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, then we should want to know every thing God wanted to say to us. The funny thing is there are several different ways someone can read the Bible. For instance, I'm in Bible college, and when I'm in the classroom I read the Bible for educational purposes. When I'm in church, I read the Bible for edification purposes, and when I have my daily time with God, I read the Bible for devotional purposes. Sometimes I might read the same scripture two or three times, a few years apart, and that scripture might not speak to me whatsoever, but then a little while down the line, I'll read that same scripture and it will speak directly to my life. That's why some Christians say that the "Word is alive." And it really is when you have the Holy Spirit in your life. The Bible, for all intents and purposes, becomes less of a book to read, and more like a teacher or confidant.Now, as for HOW I read the Bible now, I don't worry about reading it through over and over, though some books I do, but really I let the Holy Spirit guide me on what to read. For instance, in my daily time that I spend with God this is what I'm reading right now: I always start with a Psalm. The Psalms are just a good starting point for me because they are very prayerful, and they help me prepare my heart for my own time with God(which consists of prayer, Bible reading, worship, journaling, and listening for God to speak to my spirit, just in case you were wondering) After I read a Psalm I read what I call the "Proverb of the Day" which is a little gimmick I do because there 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs so I read the Proverb chapter with the corresponding date of the month, ex. today it's Feb. 8. So I would read Proverbs chapter 8. I read the Psalms and Proverbs everytime I read the Bible. Then I usually read what I feel like the Holy Spirit is leading me to read. Right now, I feel led to read the book of Matthew and the book of Revelations. So, first I'll read a couple of chapters in Matthew, then a couple in Revelations. After I get through with those, I think the Holy Spirit is leading me to read the books of 1 and 2 Samuel. So I just read what the Spirit leads. You see, the Holy Spirit is essential for me in my Bible reading. I rely alot of what I feel He is telling me to read. It's because of the Spirit that I some verses speak to my life, while others at that point in time, don't. Just the other day, I read Psalm 88, and I've read it at least a hundred times before, but yesterday it just leaped of the page at me. It felt like God was communicating with my heart as I read it. That's something that most unbelievers will never understand, and it's something that I could never fully explain to someone who has never experienced it.Now, this formula of reading works for ME. I know a lot of other people who have different methods of Bible reading. I know one of my pastors reads a chapter out of each of the groups of the Bible. Which are The Old testament history writings like the Torah (Genesis thru Deuteronomy) the Major Prophets like Isaiah and Jeremiah, etc. The minor prophets like Malachi and Amos etc. The poetry and wisdom writings like Psalms, Proverbs. And the New Testament groups the Gospels, the Epistles and the eschatological writings (Revelations). That works for him. It wouldn't work for me. Because, everybody's relationship with God is somewhat different, because our relationship with God is personal.Anyways, I hope that answers some of the questions anyone has.
To each his own.

I believe that everyone should read The Bible, it's culturally important. But you must also read The Koran, Bhagavad-Gita, Rigvida, Tao Te Ching, the works of Confucius and Buddha, and of course The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I believe that everyone should read The Bible, it's culturally important. But you must also read The Koran, Bhagavad-Gita, Rigvida, Tao Te Ching, the works of Confucius and Buddha, and of course The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
I'm not against Christians reading those books, either. I've read parts of most of them.