Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

Classy move by the Wings todaySection 112, Row 7, Seat 5 is now orange in honor of Kenneth Rucker, the "Orange Hat Guy." Kenneth was a fixture in the Joe for as long as I can remember. Wings season ticket holder since 1972. He wore and orange hat and around 2002 they would put him up on the big screen and say "Hey, there is Orange Hat Guy!."He died this past week at 63.
Thats classy. Very very cool. Makes me want to go to a Wings game!On the radio today, the host was blasting Winnipeg as an NHL city, saying who would want to play there. Then he sumrised hey maybe no one really wants to live in Detroit as a city either. (i thought bad comparison)However, as bad as the city may be, you gotta realize at the end of the day, your being HIRED by a company. And the Wings, Illitch in particular, just know how to treat their employees and their customers. Sign of a strong owner+company.
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats classy. Very very cool. Makes me want to go to a Wings game!On the radio today, the host was blasting Winnipeg as an NHL city, saying who would want to play there. Then he sumrised hey maybe no one really wants to live in Detroit as a city either. (i thought bad comparison)However, as bad as the city may be, you gotta realize at the end of the day, your being HIRED by a company. And the Wings, Illitch in particular, just know how to treat their employees and their customers. Sign of a strong owner+company.
I am not familiar with Winnipeg other than it can get really stupid cold there.And he is right, no one really wants to live in Detroit either and people are leaving the city in droves. But I don't know of any of our sports guys who live in the city either. A lot of the Wings, Lions, and Piston players live in Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, and Birmingham which are in the metro Detroit area but don't resemble the city in any way shape or form. Once a player sees where they could live and hang out I think it helps. But with the Wings, I think the players know the reputation of the organization and would freely come here if given a chance whereas we struggle in FA with the Pistons and Tigers. Tiger always seem to have to pay more to get a decent player here.
I am not familiar with Winnipeg other than it can get really stupid cold there.And he is right, no one really wants to live in Detroit either and people are leaving the city in droves. But I don't know of any of our sports guys who live in the city either. A lot of the Wings, Lions, and Piston players live in Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield Hills, and Birmingham which are in the metro Detroit area but don't resemble the city in any way shape or form. Once a player sees where they could live and hang out I think it helps. But with the Wings, I think the players know the reputation of the organization and would freely come here if given a chance whereas we struggle in FA with the Pistons and Tigers. Tiger always seem to have to pay more to get a decent player here.
The only thing that should really affect pro atheletes is change and weather.Maybe you want to stay where you are, and not keep moving around. I get that.Or maybe youd rather play in LA/Miami/Phoenix, and not the deal with the cold of Edmonton/Winnipeg. I get that.But wherever you go, with that money, your gonna live in a good neighborhood, have lots of amenities, private schools for the kids and on and on.Thing is, if your a single guy, maybe you dont want to love in the 'burbs.
The only thing that should really affect pro atheletes is change and weather.Maybe you want to stay where you are, and not keep moving around. I get that.Or maybe youd rather play in LA/Miami/Phoenix, and not the deal with the cold of Edmonton/Winnipeg. I get that.But wherever you go, with that money, your gonna live in a good neighborhood, have lots of amenities, private schools for the kids and on and on.Thing is, if your a single guy, maybe you dont want to love in the 'burbs.
Burbs is where it is at around here. Royal Oak where I live is one of the few hot spots with a downtown full of great places to eat and a crap load of bars of different kinds. You go downtown Royal Oak to eat and you will always see someone like a Matthew Stafford, Curtis Granderson before he left, McCarty, Maltby, Draper, the cast of Detroit 187 etc. :club:
Nice seats Steve.Was pretty suprised to read they healthy scratched Wolski. Who did Turris play with then?
My dads seats. Turris played with Upshall and I can't off hand remember who the other guy was. No matter who it was they always went up against the Helm, Eaves, and Miller line and got dominated.
My dads seats. Turris played with Upshall and I can't off hand remember who the other guy was. No matter who it was they always went up against the Helm, Eaves, and Miller line and got dominated.
ya, the line was those 2 with Wolski. I wonder if they had Doan/Whitney with them.I probably follow Turris more closely than anyone else in the NHL that I DONT have in any pool.
ya, the line was those 2 with Wolski. I wonder if they had Doan/Whitney with them.I probably follow Turris more closely than anyone else in the NHL that I DONT have in any pool.
I think last night it was Whitney/Doan/Fiddler
I think last night it was Whitney/Doan/Fiddler
I really hate Dave Tippett sometimes. Its like a bad slot machine. STAR, STAR, LEMON! you lose.bad for poolies, great for Coyote fans. that said, Fiddler is one hard working bastard. not much in the skills dept though.
Datsyuk had the puck handling skills going last night big time. The first clip was right in front of us and sadly longer than what they showed.
He's one of the smartest players I've ever seen.
  • 2 weeks later...

Red Wings suck. They have good ownership, good coaches who can get the players to come together and play the style he wants. They have a crappy GM who has done nothing but build playoff quality teams year after year. Bunch of idiots. They sometimes let their prospects play in the AHL forever like Jimmy Howard. They don't let the media get them down and just dig in and do their job on the ice. It's so hard being a fan of this team. Especially with a 3rd line with the likes of Modano and Cleary on it. What a bunch of bums. /troll

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a game! I was drunk at a bar with a buddy who is a huge Red Wings fan and we watched the Wings/Canucks game tonight. I didn't think the Wings played that well, the Canucks did, the difference was just that Luongo sucked. Two really bad goals. The Zetterberg goal from behind the net, and the final goal by Zetterberg in OT. Some things from the game.- Kesler is really good at hockey- Holmstrom is unintentionally the funniest guy to watch to play hockey- Rafalski can make really nice passes- TSN hypes up games way too much

• 3 months later...

sweep?Its pretty tough to sweep in the NHL playoffs as we have seen, but this team has some serious game..And the greybeards could use a few more days off.

Thanks Wayne.I agree that it is hard to sweep but I have to sadly say I don't have much...respect...for the Yotes game. I really thought we would have a tough go in this series but luckily so far, knock on wood, it has been fairly easy in playoff hockey terms. I worry about the next round when we will play a much better team. I came into this playoffs thinking that the Wings might not have what it takes. They played some really poor hockey the last month or so and Howard has been inconsistent for the most part. Obviously after 3 games this town is calling for the Cup already and dubbed Howard the next elite gtd'er. I am not there yet. Part of me thinks that maybe it is true and they just got really bored during the regular season and saved up their energy for the playoffs. Babcock was asked after game 1 why the team looked so different than it did the last 20 games and are they doing something different. He said that for one, he noticed that they were all staying awake during the team meetings now. He said that it was like night and day at practice, they got more serious, they looked to be practicing harder and maybe they really did just put it on cruise control at the end. I sure as hell hope so. BUT! I think the Wings are 4 times better than Phx so it is hard to say what kind of team the Wings are going to be moving forward. People are all up on Howard and saying that he is beating Bryzzy but again, Bryzzy is facing a much more potent team. I really worry playing a strong team like SJ. But I am sure excited for it to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone informed the Red Wings that the second round has started?
They know, they just aren't better than SJ. I think SJ is like 9-2 in the last 11 regular season and playoff games against the Wings. They are faster and have more depth. Round 1 was not a real playoff matchup. Phx was not good and made the Wings look way better than they are. The only silver lining I am seeing is that Howard has been proving me wrong and has been outstanding. It;s the team in front of him that has been disappointing. I think my SJ in 5 prediction might be spot on. But don't think I am not rooting for a huge comeback.
They know, they just aren't better than SJ. I think SJ is like 9-2 in the last 11 regular season and playoff games against the Wings. They are faster and have more depth. Round 1 was not a real playoff matchup. Phx was not good and made the Wings look way better than they are. The only silver lining I am seeing is that Howard has been proving me wrong and has been outstanding. It;s the team in front of him that has been disappointing. I think my SJ in 5 prediction might be spot on. But don't think I am not rooting for a huge comeback.
They won 2 games at home, One in OT and the other fairly close.No need to panic..Detroit wins both home games, they are in great shape.Not like Tampa Bay going home up 2-0, now thats bad.