Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

true dat!here's what Im thinking....1. Detroit isnt that far off from being a Cup contender. In any given playoff year, a team with a core of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom, Kronwall can pull off a run. Are they the best team? No. but I think every playoff year shows the best team on paper doesnt win. And Lidstrom is just such a horse to ride in the playoffs, there's almost no one else Id rather have.2. Id take Lidstrom, if for no other reason, then just to show my young players how to play on the ice, how to be a dedicated pro, and how to conduct yourself away from the ice. I think Detroits success is due to guys like him, who have helpedthe next generations learn the game. Id kill to have someone like him show a Jamie McBain what it means to be an NHL'er. If you ask me, its what Joni Pitkanen's been missing his whole life, the guy just doesnt have the "ooomph" to be a great player.3. Im not really sure how 6mil in cap space gets properly used for a rebuild, or for young players. We always talk about cap space, but I maintain its greatly exaggerated. I really dont think paying Nik 3million would have really changed things all that much, unless there's some 25yr old UFA that Detroit can get for 3mill , that could become a star. These things just dont exist, usually.I think Detroit has enough youny players chomping at the bit for icetime (Tatar anyone!), and I dont think cap space will be an issue for most. you know better than me the Wings' situation, Im just a huge Lidstrom fan.
1. See I think the chances dropped considerably for them to make a big run. Playoffs, sure, but top 5 favorite? I don't know. The defense was suspect last year and losing Rafalski doesn't help. All eyes are now on Smith. He needs to show up for camp and be a budding superstar. If not, Nick won't save this defense. Especially after they blow $3M on Ericsson. Ugh! 2. Good point but I believe Nick has already done this. Kindl has had two years with him, Ericsson about 3 (hasn't helped), Kronwall has definitely become better each year, etc. The rest are veterans. 3. You may be right but I believe every little bit helps. I mean I don't necessarily buy the talk around town about Weber but if you had that extra $2/3m you might have a small chance at getting Weber on your team who has some years left in him. But with the $6M contract that is completely impossible now. But I do think there is a difference between say 11M and 18M come free agency. I mean who knows, maybe next year we can put that $6M to better use than we can this year. I haven't looked all that hard at it. I love Nick. I really do strongly believe that he wasn't going to return. But Brian retiring caught them off guard and they had to beg him to come back and to do so took extra money than planned. Maybe the cost of living in Sweden is high and he needs all he can before retirement. lol
  • Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, a small note...I don't think he is being overpaid. He has taken a hometown discount in the past to help this team bring players in. He clearly didn't do that this time. He got exactly what they paid last year for him. I was just surprised by that. Now I am scared if they pay Jagr more than $1M. lol

I think teams would pay him more on a one-year deal, and would have last year as well. IMO, he did take a hometown discount. He could probably get 7-8 million on a one year deal from a handful of teams in the league.

Ok...this story really has my curiosity peaked. Larry AurieBasically, Larry Aurie's number was retired by the Wings back in the 30's but back in those days retired numbers weren't hung from the rafters like they are now. Not only does the Red Wings club continue to refuse to hang his number from the rafters with all the others, but they also refuse to give a good reason why other than stating that he's not a member of the HHOF (and thus doesn't merit the honor, I guess, regardless of the fact that there are a great many numbers retired all over the league that belonged to non-HHOF players, including Steve Yzerman from the Wings whose jersey was retired in 2007 even though he wasn't a HOF'er until 2009). Not indicting anyone or anything like that, but it seems to me like the Ilitch family must have some kind of personal reason for the snub and I'm extremely curious to know what it is (considering that Aurie died in the 50's). This is the only case of a number being "unretired" by an NHL club that I can remember ever hearing about...the Wings officially requested that his name be stricken from the retired numbers list by the NHL in 2000. Just a weird story, thought maybe Steve or Chris might have some knowledge to share on the subject since Google didn't get me very far.Red_Wings_retired_Banners.jpg

I'm not sure what the article at Kukla's corner says, but this one offers a possible explanation:http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0...cleod001.shtmlAurie holds Detroit's forgotten numberPUBLISHED: January 7, 2007By Bruce MacLeodMacomb Daily Sports WriterHarry MacDonald watched the Steve Yzerman number retirement ceremony, Tuesday night, from his home in Kingston, Ont. The 72-year-old listened as they announced that Yzerman's number would join the franchise's five other retired numbers.But MacDonald knew that was at best an oversight, at worst it was bunk.MacDonald's uncle, his mother's brother, was a Red Wing whose No. 6 was retired in 1938. Larry Aurie's honor, however, has been victimized by revisionist history on the part of the Red Wings franchise. Aurie's number is retired, but doesn't hang alongside the other numbers atop Joe Louis Arena."I thought was I was watching this, 'And No. 6 should be there too,'" said MacDonald. "And it's not. And that's not right."In retiring Yzerman's number, the Red Wings embraced history. At the same time, they also rewrote history.Larry Aurie was one of the Red Wings' first great players. He was Detroit's representative in the NHL's first all-star game in 1934. He led the league in goals one season and was top-three in the league in points in another. In 1937, Aurie was one of the six players named to the NHL's post-season first-team all-stars. And most importantly, Aurie was a key part of the Red Wings' first two Stanley Cup champions.So it isn't unusual that owner James Norris retired Aurie's number in 1938, making him the first Red Wing to be so honored. The fact was documented by several Detroit newspapers, the Toronto Globe And Mail and The Hockey News. No. 6 was even labeled as being "retired" in the Red Wings' own game program in the 1952 in a story about Aurie's death.What is unusual is this: The organization has increasingly ignored Aurie's number being retired.In its first publishing (1975), the NHL's official information publication, the Official NHL Guide And Record Book, listed three numbers being retired by Detroit ... Gordie Howe's 9, Alex Delvecchio's 10 and Aurie's 6. In fact, Aurie's number was listed as retired in that annual publication in each edition until 2000 when it was removed at the request of the Red Wings organization.The Red Wings' owners and organization will not comment on Aurie's number. The team's Web site, however, says this: "As a tribute to Aurie's worth, manager Jack Adams deemed that no other player would don Aurie's No. 6 jersey ... the number was never officially retired."But that's one part revisionist history and one part semantics. If it was deemed that no other players wear that number by Detroit's owner and the franchise's manager and general manager, then isn't that retired?"They're trying to rewrite history," said Gerald Henry, 70, of Barrie, Ont. Henry is Aurie's cousin. "If the owners are against this, I'm baffled. To put it in good terms, I'm pissed off. I don't understand. A lot of the old folks who remember him are not around any more. It's like trying to resurrect the dead."Part of the problem here is that retired numbers were not hung from the rafters at the Olympia. Not Howe's 9. Not Aurie's 6. So there appears to be a lack of validity to No. 6 being retired when we apply modern-day standards to the past.The real question becomes why did the Ilitches choose to hang six of seven retired numbers and why did they ask the league to remove Aurie's number from the list of Detroit's retired numbers?At the same time, why does the team not just issue No. 6 to a rookie? Why the state of limbo?If it's out of respect to the family, then maybe someone from the Red Wings should speak with any of Aurie's family, including his closest living relative."If you're not going to put the number in the rafters, then give it to somebody," said MacDonald. "I'd like to see the number hanging, but let somebody else wear it rather than do this. Any player who wants No. 6, give it to them if you're not going to put it in the rafters. If you're going to retire it, you've got to put it in the rafters. If there's a reason, tell us."It's been nearly 70 years since Aurie's number was retired. A lot of people don't know who Larry Aurie was or what he did (including myself before I started working on this story). And sports statistics often don't paint a vivid picture in the present. Seventy-year-old statistics don't often flesh out an athlete.If you were to ask people in 50 years who saw Steve Yzerman play, why his number was retired, you'd likely hear that he was a tremendous leader who did everything necessary to win. Both Ken Holland and Scotty Bowman said that the top thing that made Yzerman special was that he was the guy who made the "big play."All of that is oral. None translates into statistics.Larry Aurie might not look like the best player in hockey from today's perspective, but he sure looked like that to some of his contemporaries. Heck, they named the NHL's coach of the year award after Jack Adams and he thought that Aurie's number was retired and retired for many good reasons.But someone in the current Red Wings organization must believe that raising Aurie's retired number would be a disservice to Yzerman and Howe and Delvecchio. At the same time, how do you publicly un-retire a number? Then your ignorance might be exposed by historians.So the Ilitches have done what they can do. They control what numbers are listed as officially retired by the team they currently own. They control what jerseys hang from the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.But they can't control the fact that Larry Aurie's number was retired by the organization by Norris and Adams -- two of the builders of the NHL. The joke of it all is that Aurie represents the first great era of Red Wings' history. Why turn your back on something so wonderful?

Red Wings drafted a few players that I have never heard of nor researched. No reason to at this time as they won't smell the NHL for at least 5+ years. Other than that they have done nothing. So boring being a Wings fan. I get a little jealous of all you fans of sucky teams having so much to talk about...:club:

• 4 months later...
DetroitRedWings Detroit Red Wingsby wyshynskiThe Red Wings have agreed to terms with defenseman Niklas Kronwall on a seven-year deal.
7 years at $4.75M each. No trade clause for the first 5, limited for the last 2. Actual cap numbers decrease in a reasonable way.Nik Kronwall is 30. He has played more than 70 games twice in his career.I know the Red Wings have gotten great production from very-old Rafalski and Lidstrom, but that is a very big, very expensive deal to make for an injury-prone D-man over 30.Rotoworld's commentary is something like it is a deal they 'had to make' because they are losing D. Meh, maybe.If Kronwall can be a real #1 D-man for most of that deal, then it is a bargain. If he was 28 right now, I'd be fine with the deal. But he'll be 31 in a couple months, and they could be looking at a lot of missed games and spent dollars for a guy they're paying like a franchise cornerstone.
I'm shocked he's that old. I feel like he's only been in the league for a few years.
That's Detroit for you...Jakub Kindl just became a regular in the lineup this year and he was drafted back in the first round of '05.
That's Detroit for you...Jakub Kindl just became a regular in the lineup this year and he was drafted back in the first round of '05.
I was just looking at Kronwall's draft class... the only player from the 2000 1st round (Kronwall was #29) to not play a single NHL game (so far, I guess) is Buffalo's Artem Kryukov.
I'm shocked he's that old. I feel like he's only been in the league for a few years.
Remember it is the Red Wings who develop prospects much much longer than other teams do and they usually don't bring players up till they're 28
I was just looking at Kronwall's draft class... the only player from the 2000 1st round (Kronwall was #29) to not play a single NHL game (so far, I guess) is Buffalo's Artem Kryukov.
Buffalo spent YEARS making mistake after mistake with 1st round picks. Of the guys taken pre-2008 only Vanek (a total no-brainer at 5th overall) and Stafford have worked out at all, there's like 3 total flops for every hit (no matter how marginal) in the last 15-20 years. 2006 Dennis Persson D2005 Marek Zagrapan C2004 Drew Stafford RW2003 Thomas Vanek LW 2002 Keith Ballard D, Dan Paille LW2001 Jiri Novotny C 2000 Artem Kriukov C 1999 Barrett Heisten LW 1998 Dimitri Kalinin D 1997 Mika Noronen G 1996 Erik Rasmussen C 1995 Jay McKee D, Martin Biron G 1994 Wayne Primeau C 1993 None 1992 David Cooper D
God damn Marek Zagrapan.
Agreed. Million dollar skills and a 10 cent brain. 12 games into the SM-Liiga season and he has an assist. Talk about a train that completely derailed.
I was really surprised too. I checked because I thought he was like 26, and that it was really a great deal for the Wings.Brought up late, missed lots of time, always was an understudy to Lidstrom, etc.
I was really surprised too. I checked because I thought he was like 26, and that it was really a great deal for the Wings.Brought up late, missed lots of time, always was an understudy to Lidstrom, etc.
Lidstrom is undoubtedly at the root of that signing...they know he's done after this year.
  • 3 months later...

Good strong game from the boys last night. Not showing any All Star break hangover. Nice to see the 3rd and 4th lines contributing to a couple goals. Looks nice to be sitting at the top of the NHL but we have played more games than most of the teams chasing us. Should be a fun race to April.

Another good win for the boys wearing the winged wheel against a top team. Bad new though, Howard allegedly broke a finger in this game and Joey Mac has been called up from Grand Rapids. Going to need Mac and Conks to dig deep and get us through the next few weeks.

Another good win for the boys wearing the winged wheel against a top team. Bad new though, Howard allegedly broke a finger in this game and Joey Mac has been called up from Grand Rapids. Going to need Mac and Conks to dig deep and get us through the next few weeks.
Now, he says the docs told him 4-6 weeks, but he wants to come back in 2. Detroit Free Press