Why The Obsession With Hold'em?

+1. There's immediate results involved in NLHE if you so desire. We are a society that enjoys things faster...NLHE gives you the ability to either bust or double up very quickly.
That's what I told her... but she wasn't buying it.
Why is holdem better? I played omahahahahahah once. I flopped top two pair with AJ and was in 3rd place and had to fold on the flop.gg omahahaha you can suck it. I hate folding.Mark
I played Omaha once. I flopped quads three times in a game where the pots customarily had at least three all ins. I got no action on any of them and went broke with top set to some clown who flopped a sucker straight and potted it. F omaha
Holdem is where all the fish are.
I couldn't really disagree with this more, imo. There are so many players who are bad at Omaha and you get soooo many loose players who think nearly every hand has "possibilities." At any given Omaha table there's 2 or 3 players who play 85%+ of the hands. Hold em has evolved to the point where profitable plays about 2 years ago are standard information now even to the biggest of donks. I think Omaha is so much juicier if you're good at it/can handle the swings. Just my opinion tho.
Hold'em requires more hand selection discipline than Omaha, but discipline is boring!!
I don't agree with that idea. Hand selection in Omaha, especially O/8, is more important, imho.
What is it that makes hold'em so much more popular than the other games?
Hold'em plays better on TV because it is simpler and so is more easily followed by the casual viewer. Have you seen a WSOP Omaha broadcast? The announcers spend the entire time listing all the draws and explaining why someone folded AAAA.Peace,Opie
venn.png
Wow... I just read the full 40+ pages. What a story, I wonder how I missed it? Good run, I'm glad he left $50,000 richer.
I couldn't really disagree with this more, imo. There are so many players who are bad at Omaha and you get soooo many loose players who think nearly every hand has "possibilities." At any given Omaha table there's 2 or 3 players who play 85%+ of the hands. Hold em has evolved to the point where profitable plays about 2 years ago are standard information now even to the biggest of donks. I think Omaha is so much juicier if you're good at it/can handle the swings. Just my opinion tho.
I am guilty of this. I do have limits to it though - I won't play every hand if there's a lot of preflop action - if there's a single raise or a lot of limping, I'll play any 4 cards. I'm usually c/f'ing a lot of flops, but I've only played $10 max and $2 HU Omaha SnG's on FTP.

I like all the games except maybe Razz and I even can like that if I'm in the right mood. But as Doyle Brunson is credited with saying and I'm sure he just go from someone else. "No Limit Texas Hold'Em is the Cadillac of Poker." You can read so much more and get so much more information from playing HE. As far as other forms of pokerOmaha is pretty easy to get if you understand HE. It's just two more cards and you get more draws. If you can play HE you can play Omaha IMO.

I like all the games except maybe Razz and I even can like that if I'm in the right mood. But as Doyle Brunson is credited with saying and I'm sure he just go from someone else. "No Limit Texas Hold'Em is the Cadillac of Poker." You can read so much more and get so much more information from playing HE. As far as other forms of pokerOmaha is pretty easy to get if you understand HE. It's just two more cards and you get more draws. If you can play HE you can play Omaha IMO.
Not true at all. I know very good HE players who are complete Omaha donks. People who win 8bb/100 in HE and are -10bb/100 in PLO
Omaha is pretty easy to get if you understand HE. It's just two more cards and you get more draws. If you can play HE you can play Omaha IMO.
It is a bit more complicated than that. Play 30k hands of PLO and you will see why.

Stud is the game of Champions :club: Hold'em has a more defined strategy, more people know Hold'em because of the TV coverage, and more people want to be Chris Moneymaker, Doyle Brunson, and Daniel Negreanu. Most people haven't ever seen the pros winning a Omaha or Stud tournament. Because the popularity of the WSOP there are also so many more Hold'em games to choose from than other games.

i also hate razz because i always get rolled up when i play razz. I run bad at life
Razz is like Professional Wrestling....you're good to go and then WHAM!!!!! Chairshot to the head.
Why is holdem better? I played omahahahahahah once. I flopped top two pair with AJ and was in 3rd place and had to fold on the flop.gg omahahaha you can suck it. I hate folding.Mark
Zomg so that's how people make final tables at WSOP. Thx for the advice. Can't wait to show off my bracelet.
If you claim to be so GREAT at PLO8, then WTF are you doing chopping? Just TID!
I dont like variance...it was a 10 minute level tourney so no one had more than 12 BBsAnd I'm not great.... just dont suck as much as everyone else in micro omaha tournies..I'm not sure, but maybe the reason is that a lot of the players are likely omaha cash players taking shots at tournies, and my experience with longer tournaments might be giving me an edge over some players who are losing focus...