anyone ever chop an online tourney?

to preface this post, i just recently started playing non-SnG cash tourneys online and have had success for the most part...anyway, after a very disappointing 18th finish two nights ago i played UB's $1600 2 A.M. guaranteed last night even though i was really tired and had to work at 10:30. well, things go well for me and i was able to avoid the mistakes i made the previous night and next thing you know i'm heads up with just under a 3:2 chip lead. it was around 6:30 at this time and we proceeded to have a really good match, and around 30-45 minutes later we are still nearly even in chips. the other guy had asked if i wanted to chop earlier and he brought it up again. i thought for a while and finally agreed.... i had to get a few hours sleep before work. the chop netted me $328 in about 5 hours... anyone here ever chop an online tourney?

I have before in a few tourneys. I never reccommend it to the other players, but I will consider if someone asks. I never do live though, because the blind structure is a little more patient and I have concerns about colluding in live tourneys and I think that it is kind of bad for the game. Interested in other's thoughts. I know Daniel N never does and would be curious as to what other people/pros thought....

When we did it, I just dumped the remainder of my chips to him and told him exactly what I had. Before I did that, we figured out the amount and then he transferred the difference to me prior to my dumping chips so that once I got the money for "2nd place" my amount was the agreed upon 50%. If you are worried, I am sure that the site would be able to handle any problems because it is fairly common. Bigger payouts might be harder to do if the other person didn't have the cash to front you the difference, but I have never had any problems.

I've even done it in SnG's. I usually just say let's go all in and the winner will transfer the loser the $$. It works really well for $50 and $100 SnG, when the blinds are 1/5 of your stack and it's just an all in fest, it's better to split the 250/150 or 500/300 top2. I usually only do this if we are close in chips though. even 6-4 I will chop. I trust people and so far people have trusted me. I don't see why people wouldn't comply. I have also done "bubble" deals before for smaller MTTs. ones that pay say only top 3 or top 4 and 5th place, we all agree to send the guy 1/3 or 1/4 of the entry fee, whatever it is. Regardless of chip stacks. It doesn't sound like a good deal, but I played one tourney paying top 3, and I was short stack with 1200, other stacks were about 4000,6000,9000. Blinds 200/400. We agreed to do bubble deal and I proceeded to win the tourney :-)Anyway, just sharing my thoughts. I have also heard that for major tournies, you can email support and they will handle it for you.

How exactly do you go about chopping online? Is there some special option on certain software?
some sites will facilitate it, others wont. Stars is very good about this kind of thing. There are all kinds of formulas you can use to determine payouts, some favour low stacks, some favour high stacks. Better players can negotiate a skill premium on the chop. its all about negotiating the best deal.

Online chops are fine. I've never had that chance as pacific doesn't offer it. It would have to be run through the software. I don't think I could trust someone enough to chip dump and transfer. Even if I could do that I just don't think that would be the way to do it.If I were to chop the blinds would have to be high enough that it was affecting everyone stack. If I'm the chipleader I'm going to be pretty reluctant to chop. Maybe I'm selfish like that but if I was playing well enough to get all those chips I'd wanna continue to try to take the rest of them.

While playing on Empire, we were down to 3 people. I was 2nd in chips at the time. The guy in 1st suggested a 3 way even split. I didn't respond to the request and after about 5 more hands, the guy in 3rd agreed so I said OK as well. After a bit of a discussion about who would post money to who, the chip lead had switched. I was still in second and 1st & 3rd swapped spots. After everything was agreed, we all went all in and the guy who was slow to agree ended up with all the chips. I went out in 2nd. As the tournament ended, the "winner" said, "I never agreed. No deal. See ya." and that was that.I will NEVER offer or agree to a chop on any site that doesn't have tools in place to let the tournament be put on pause while a deal is discussed and then have all remaining players electronically agree to the terms of the deal. Plus, it shouldn't be up to the players to transfer money from one account to another. All payouts should be handled by the house.