Well, September was my first down month since i started playing online poker (i think). I don't know if it is just variance or what but i really don't feel like im playing my A game like i was back in the summertime. Does anyone have any pointers that could help me refocus and hopefully start making moola again? what do you do after a long losing streak? Any idea would be appreciated !

Get on a consistent internet connection. That helps my play.But in order to get better responses other then the simple, "take some time off, study the game, post in strat, etc." you will have to post some examples of what you are doing wrong.

avoid limit hold em.
welll i used to mess around with 2/4 and 3/6 limit holdem and was probably only slightly above a breakeven player. I tend to get bluffed to often in cash games, they really just aren't my thing. i guess ijsap

take a day or 2 even a week off try to get the patients and passion back then you will play a whole lot better i find when i try to play through a slump i go on a major downswing and play like i wldnt normally ie. play to tight/scared over value hands i wldnt normally tp/gk etc and over play ak/aq type hands the break usually gets my passion and hunger back until the next downswing rinse repeat

Get on a consistent internet connection. That helps my play.But in order to get better responses other then the simple, "take some time off, study the game, etc." you will have to post some examples of what you are doing wrong.
i got that taken care of, internet is back in mint condition. play on full tilt on my laptop and stars on my desktop. That probably was part of the problem in september as my internet was all ****ked up, but i do know i have many leaks in my game but just cant identify them right now

Take a break for a while. We all need a vacation to clear our head sometimes. Go party for a couple days and come back to poker refreshed.

Take a break for a while. We all need a vacation to clear our head sometimes. Go party for a couple days and come back to poker refreshed.
well... i pretty much do that all the time anyways, could that be part of the problem?
welll i used to mess around with 2/4 and 3/6 limit holdem and was probably only slightly above a breakeven player. I tend to get bluffed to often in cash games, they really just aren't my thing. i guess ijsap
I'm the opposite.. I'm a calling station when my overs don't hit, but yeah I suck at limit but I enjoy it more.. that doesn't make sense
Smoke before/during your playing time.
no-smoking-2-circle.jpg

Sometimes when im running bad i use it as a time to try out different things, and then sometimes you should just go back to basics for a while until you get your confidence back. I wish i could say i follow my own advice, but i dont and i suck. But other than that you have to find a way to enjoy the game, i know there have been many a nights when i was running bad and i would continually ask myself why i even play this stupid game, and i can remember a time when i first started playing where it was all i thought about, i just had this passion, and once i found it again, i would play better.

Smoke before/during your playing time.
well that is obv a must, don't know the last time i played not high, maybe i should try playing low and see what happens??? idk.. dont know if i could take the beats if i did that. idk... maybe it is just focus i am lacking

I've been considering lately whether or not weed really affects my play, personally. I feel that if I'm high and I bust out of 1/2/all of the tourney's I'm playing... I'm no longer focused, and either call Jimmy John's, play some NHL 08 or watch some T.V. But yeah, smoke more weed. Mark

Try switching games for a couple of days. Instead of tournies, play sng's. Instead of sng's, play cash. Instead of HE, play PLO. Etc, etc, etc. I've found switching to omaha really helps get my focus back for holdem. Works for me anyway.Mark

I've been considering lately whether or not weed really affects my play, personally. I feel that if I'm high and I bust out of 1/2/all of the tourney's I'm playing... I'm no longer focused, and either call Jimmy John's, play some NHL 08 or watch some T.V. But yeah, smoke more weed. Mark
agree, sometimes i am probably one of the worst tilters out there and i know that is a problem. If i take one beat and bust out of somethin but am still playing in other tourneys, sometimes i will just lose interest like you said which is a major leak if trying to make teh mobney.... bahhhhh idkkkk i think im just realy disgruntled right now.

This whole thing is kinda vague but...I'll give a shot.Probably one of the most interesting things about online poker (and poker in general as well) is that very few people seem to comprehend the actual amount of variance that occurs in poker. It's real easy to say, "Well, I know about variance. I've run bad" and I think we all have a tendency to do that. However, I've talked to some very intelligent people who feel that the variance in MTT poker doesn't even out until you have played multiple thousands of tourneys (something I myself haven't done at all) so I don't think people realize just how meaningless the short term.I don't know if you are a tourney player or a cash player, but if you want to be profitable, you have to be able to cope with the swings. Nobody handles variance and downswings perfectly, and we all lose it occasionally (life fk'n tilt) but you have to be able to play well even when things aren't going your way. Again, this is all basic stuff but it's one of the most important mental aspects of being a successful poker player. In cash games, if you grind out 50k hands +, I imagine you'll generally have winning months (with random losing months scattered in) but in tourneys you can play well all month long and simply brick out.As far as you not feeling you are playing your A game, it's good that you are aware of this as a majority of poker players are unwilling to objectively step back, look at their results, and make critical assessments of their own play. I would recommend you find a good group of friends who all play poker and constantly discuss the game as well as hand histories. Better than you, worse than you, it doesn't matter. IMO, you need to talk to and learn from both to truly improve your game and I know a lot of people who would agree.Sorry, this was kind of rambling, pointless and took way too long to type out, but I hope it helps

This whole thing is kinda vague but...I'll give a shot.Probably one of the most interesting things about online poker (and poker in general as well) is that very few people seem to comprehend the actual amount of variance that occurs in poker. It's real easy to say, "Well, I know about variance. I've run bad" and I think we all have a tendency to do that. However, I've talked to some very intelligent people who feel that the variance in MTT poker doesn't even out until you have played multiple thousands of tourneys (something I myself haven't done at all) so I don't think people realize just how meaningless the short term.I don't know if you are a tourney player or a cash player, but if you want to be profitable, you have to be able to cope with the swings. Nobody handles variance and downswings perfectly, and we all lose it occasionally (life fk'n tilt) but you have to be able to play well even when things aren't going your way. Again, this is all basic stuff but it's one of the most important mental aspects of being a successful poker player. In cash games, if you grind out 50k hands +, I imagine you'll generally have winning months (with random losing months scattered in) but in tourneys you can play well all month long and simply brick out.As far as you not feeling you are playing your A game, it's good that you are aware of this as a majority of poker players are unwilling to objectively step back, look at their results, and make critical assessments of their own play. I would recommend you find a good group of friends who all play poker and constantly discuss the game as well as hand histories. Better than you, worse than you, it doesn't matter. IMO, you need to talk to and learn from both to truly improve your game and I know a lot of people who would agree.Sorry, this was kind of rambling, pointless and took way too long to type out, but I hope it helps
yes grinder it does help, :club: youuu
Well, September was my first down month since i started playing online poker (i think). I don't know if it is just variance or what but i really don't feel like im playing my A game like i was back in the summertime. Does anyone have any pointers that could help me refocus and hopefully start making moola again? what do you do after a long losing streak? Any idea would be appreciated !
I find that its good to take 4 or 5 days off, then come back and have someone better than you watch you play for a bit. Assuming you play well that session, it will boost your confidence back and then off you go to winning again.Mark