• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

1986 Steve Smith scored in his own net to cost the Oilers a game 7 and a probable Stanley Cup

The same year Bill Buckner missed a routine ground ball to cost the Boston Red Sox a world series.

The game last night we will probably talk about for decades..But there really isnt a way to describe what happened...For close to 5 games of the series the Leafs were the better team. For most of the game last night , we were the better team. The whole last 10 minutes is a blur..I dont even think I saw OT..Yes i was staring at the TV, but dont really remember what happened..I knew we lost the game before then.

Sure its only a sporting event, sure there are more things to worry about life..But when you put so much energy into something, when you and your family and friends come together in enjoyment in a team like we did...There are no words to describe what I am feeling this morning..I am physically ill..shocked..sad..

There were a LOT of people in Toronto that got behind the team, but they werent the real crazy emotional fans like myself and few others...Sure it was sad for them, but a few minutes after it happened they moved on..They went back to attacking Phaneuf, Carlyle and the jokes they made all year...For a few fans like myself, today is a devastating day..

I know its a huge accomplishment what we did..I know it was a succesful year...If Kadri and Kessel dont score the goals to put us up 4-1, am I feeling like this today..Probably not...If Frattin just buried the breakaway before the collapse, am I feeling like this? Probably not.

Should I be mad at the refs for blowing blatant calls? Should I start a conspiracy theory that they are against us? Are we cursed? Are we never destined to win a Stanley Cup?

These are stupid questions that i dont need to answer..All I need now is time to comprehend what happened, and why it happened...The biggest collapse in a game 7 ever, it had to happen to us...We were so close, we were so happy..We were booking plans for Thursday Game 1...Did we jinx them? No...

They say what doesnt kill you makes you stronger..Are the Leafs a stronger team today because of this? Maybe..Can we come back next year and with a few tweaks challenge for the Stanley Cup, probably...

All i know is unlike others this morning..I am still a diehard Leafs fan, supporter..I still love the Leafs and I congratulate and thank them for a great year and the joy that you brought us.

We will move on from this.....

GO LEAFS GO

• Like 3

I'm also sure Serge will not mind an interruption for recognition of Brian Burke. With James Reimer, here are the point-getters for the Leafs in the series...some, like Kessel and Kadri have received a lot of flack over the years - they weren't necessarily bargains or steals, but also don't appear to be the busts they have been accused of. Most of the rest were acquired very cheaply. Burke started with a pretty empty cupboard, and a lot of these guys looked very good this year, and they weren't just ice time mirages like Matt Stajan or Ian White from a couple years back.

Franson

Kadri

Kessel

JVR

Gardiner

Phaneuf

MacArthur

Grabovsky

Bozak

Lupul

Frattin

Fraser

We live in a bizarro town, where Brian Burke who should be named GM of the year, was fired.

The team he acquired was worse than a bare cupboard, it was full of terrible contracts and bad players..

Some of the trades he made were just laughable good for the Leafs side..Some were controversial but people are seeing how good they were now..

Sure there were a couple of bad signings..But the home runs he hit, far outweigh the couple bad moves.

• Like 1

We live in a bizarro town, where Brian Burke who should be named GM of the year, was fired.

The team he acquired was worse than a bare cupboard, it was full of terrible contracts and bad players..

Some of the trades he made were just laughable good for the Leafs side..Some were controversial but people are seeing how good they were now..

Sure there were a couple of bad signings..But the home runs he hit, far outweigh the couple bad moves.

With the production of guys like Franson, Phaneuf and JVR, and the absolute nothingness of White, Stajan, Giguere, Blake, Schenn, etc, he looks pretty goddamn smart.

I was hoping I would feel better about all of this today, I don't.

It's kind of ridiculous to be this emotionally invested in a team, but I'm legitimately depressed today. I just keep thinking about how stupidly happy I was when the Leafs scored the 3rd and 4th goals. I was jumping around my house like a little kid.

was just reading this article that Bill Simmons wrote in 2003 about the red sox, really captures a lot of what I am feeling today, and what it's like to be a die hard fan of a team:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273362/paradise-lost-again

With the production of guys like Franson, Phaneuf and JVR, and the absolute nothingness of White, Stajan, Giguere, Blake, Schenn, etc, he looks pretty goddamn smart.

Jake Gardiner may end up being a Norris trophy candidate in a few years...Joffrey Lupul is a point a game player....Ya Beauchemin had a good year, but that trade might be the best of the bunch..

I was hoping I would feel better about all of this today, I don't.

It's kind of ridiculous to be this emotionally invested in a team, but I'm legitimately depressed today. I just keep thinking about how stupidly happy I was when the Leafs scored the 3rd and 4th goals. I was jumping around my house like a little kid.

was just reading this article that Bill Simmons wrote in 2003 about the red sox, really captures a lot of what I am feeling today, and what it's like to be a die hard fan of a team:

http://www.grantland...dise-lost-again

I feel exactly the same...

There are so many other things in life that should be much worse...In Toronto today they found the body of a missing man, who while showing his truck to two guys he met through Kijiji was allegedly kidnapped and killed...Young guy, two year old kid..Beatiful wife...Thats a realy tragedy..

But having said that, this hockey team was our lives , and its devastating...

David Shoalts@dshoalts 1h

All teams on the rise suffer playoff heartbreak. It's part of learning how to win. #Leafs are headed in the right direction. More later.

Some encouragement. Only through experiences like this will Leaf players be able to bury those "holy shit we are going win" feelings/nerves until well, they actually win.

David Shoalts@dshoalts 1h

All teams on the rise suffer playoff heartbreak. It's part of learning how to win. #Leafs are headed in the right direction. More later.

Some encouragement. Only through experiences like this will Leaf players be able to bury those "holy shit we are going win" feelings/nerves until well, they actually win.

I agree to that to some degree...Playoff losses, 7th game OT losses are acceptable part of sport..And you grow from it.

But I am looking back through history this doesnt really compare to anything else..We were celebrating a solid , dominating win...

We play that 10 minutes a 100 times, and we probably win 99 of them..

I honestly think the Leafs had a legitimate chance to win the Cup if we win that game last night...Boston was the worst of our opponents..

I hate Jack Edwards. (think the play by play guy for Bruins telecasts)

But he was on the Fan this morning here in T.O., and I was really impressed by his words.

Some of the things I recall....

- Leafs were the better team. Not just last night, but clearly in the series. (I could not agree more)

- He repeated over and over again...."I still cant believe what happened last night". But not with elation, but sadness. It was like he was a Leafs fan, he seemed to genuinely feel bad.

- If anyone knows what this all feels like, its us in Boston. We had to go through all the crap like Buckner, just to get to our championship. We feel their pain.

Also, a point thats being brought up today that I really agree with.....it was Lucic who willed them to victory. Watch the celebration at 4-3 if you get a chance....I saw him skate to the group, and yell "ONE MORE, WE GOT THIS, ONE MORE WE GOT THIS" with a look in his eye that scared me from my tv set! He took that game over, it was impressive to see.

fwiw, I feel genuine sorrow for those of you so heavily invested. Im seeing others today with the same long looks. It sucks.

at this point, the thing I think I want most in my "hockey life" is a Leafs Cup.

Lucic was a beast all game long. SO tough to handle in the corners. I was also impressed with his post game interview. I actually think all the Bruins players were very respectful to the Leafs all series long. It's rare to play a hard fought 7 game series and actually hate the team that beat you LESS than you did at the start of the series, but that's how I feel right now.

Also, I know he wore down a bit at the end due to being overplayed (a necessity), but nobody is going to convince me that Zdeno Chara isn't the best defenseman in the NHL. He should win the Norris every year, as far as I am concerned.

good point on the respect thing, one of a handful of series that didn't have coaches/teams whining in the media all series long (i'm looking at you, Montreal, Vancouver, Washington...).

All that about Lucic and Chara is so true...the ONLY thing that hurts is the fact that we WON the game and gave it away..

I would be celebrating today a hard fought 3-2 OT loss to that team...I would of been so happy with the effort and JUST falling short..

I dont think I am being biased with rose coloured glasses to say for the better part we were the better team...We were the team that wanted it more....Whats 10 minutes in life..

10 minutes isnt even enough time to have lunch..Walk to the corner..10 fricking minutes.

went to a bar last night with 4 friends. I don't know what caused my acid reflux in the middle of the night the leafs losing the way they did or the onion rings. I was up till about 4 and even though I got over the loss I feel that this was a great learning experience. I don't follow hockey the way I use to so not sure if this team was stanley cup material like others that fizzled in the conference finals.

Its a very likeable team with some great young talent, I think Bozak needs to be resigned first and foremost and any goalie talk should be silenced,

Great year bad ending but thats the story for every team except for 1.

Side note as soon as boston scored all five of us got up and left without even saying a word. No goodbye no see you later no adios. Silence.

went to a bar last night with 4 friends. I don't know what caused my acid reflux in the middle of the night the leafs losing the way they did or the onion rings. I was up till about 4 and even though I got over the loss I feel that this was a great learning experience. I don't follow hockey the way I use to so not sure if this team was stanley cup material like others that fizzled in the conference finals.

Its a very likeable team with some great young talent, I think Bozak needs to be resigned first and foremost and any goalie talk should be silenced,

Great year bad ending but thats the story for every team except for 1.

Side note as soon as boston scored all five of us got up and left without even saying a word. No goodbye no see you later no adios. Silence.

I dont think it was Stanley Cup material, but I wouldnt be surprised if ANY of the final 8 won the cup..

Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that we played without our number one centre for the last two games..

We were dominated in the faceoff numbers..And if Bozak is out there taking those faceoffs in the last minute..We probably see a different result.

I don't think Bozak should be re-signed. I liked the look of our team in the last 2 games with Kadri as the #1 center, Grabbo as the #2, COlbourne as the #3, and Mcclement as the #4. Bozak will be too expensive, and him being in the lineup is only going to eat the minutes of the superior players Grabbo and Kadri. I do think Macarthur should be re-signed. he is a good player, not sure why he fell out of favour with Carlyle. He's also going to be cheap, directly as a result of Carlyle not playing him much.

I don't think Bozak should be re-signed. I liked the look of our team in the last 2 games with Kadri as the #1 center, Grabbo as the #2, COlbourne as the #3, and Mcclement as the #4. Bozak will be too expensive, and him being in the lineup is only going to eat the minutes of the superior players Grabbo and Kadri. I do think Macarthur should be re-signed. he is a good player, not sure why he fell out of favour with Carlyle. He's also going to be cheap, directly as a result of Carlyle not playing him much.

I thing we disagree on Bozak..I am definetely in favour of signing him...He brings a lot to the table..He doesnt have point a game numbers, but he is a solid player..

The most important thing he brings to the table is elevating the game of his buddy Phil Kessel...I dont think Kessel will be too happy if Bozak isnt signed. Expensive isnt an issue..Overpay him..So what if you need to pay him $4 million a year for 5 years..Do it...In the long run its the best for the club...

I do agree on Kadri, Grabo and Mcclement...But you cant worry about other players minutes...If Sidney Crosby came to the Leafs, you wouldnt care that it eats up those other guys minutes..

Colborne I am still not sold..I think he still needs a couple of years of development..

I like Bozak, don't get me wrong. I just don't like him as our #1 center. I also don't buy the Kessel thing. Kessel and Kadri look great when they play together. Kessel will score with anyone. If we could sign him for $2 million and play him as the #3 center, I'd be happy with that. I don't think that is a reality, and with the cap coming down, and big raises in line for Kadri and Franson, we can't afford to pay Bozak $4 million per year.