Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Watching last night makes me think there may be an adjustment period for the leafs defensively. They had virtually no scheme under Wilson, and were often caught running around, two defenders on the same forward, etc. Now with Carlyle, they have lots of responsibilities, and a specific way to defend their zone. Last night, at times, they looked like they were thinking about it, and got caught. I think they will be better in the long run though...

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

They had virtually no scheme under Wilson, and were often caught running around,
that's funny. I was reading the other day about Tom Gilbert's transition form Edmonton to Minny, and he said the biggest difference was the system employed in the defensive zone. I remember thinking " hmm, Defensive system, must be nice"

Only forward that played less than Kulemin in the 3rd was Rosehill. I never would of thought with his style he would all of a sudden drop off...amazing how much he has struggled this year. I hope they actually put Ashton in the lineup tonight...I dont see the point of having Brown AND Rosehill in the lineup.

This is hard to describe to people that dont get it.I am suffering from depression..Now i dont want to confuse this and belittle people who have real depression, which is a real disease..However, I have been disinterested in coming to this forum, listening to talk radio and hate to admit, I dont even look forward to the games on tv ..Which is unheard of.Last night with the Leafs up 2-0 I was positive and I mean positive that they would lose the game...I even texted Zach that they would lose in OT, didnt even get to OT..Things arent fun...Im in a huge playoff series in a keeper league, and I just dont care..I feel like shit..It might be funny to some, and some maybe enjoying this but it really sucks..REALLY SUCKS

Try and focus on the positive Serge.The Leafs' coaching situation has been settled. As a Leaf fan but not a fanatic I think this is the most positive thing to come out of this season. I don't know if Carlyle will be the answer but there is no doubt that Wilson wasn't.The Leafs are still a young team and hopefully they'll really tank the rest of the way and get a good draft pick.I think the question about the goalies has been answered and while it isn't good news that neither Reimer or Gustavsson are number 1 NHL caliber goalies it at least shows that this is an area that has to be improved on. It's better to know the answer even if it isn't the news you would like than to not know.

Try and focus on the positive Serge.The Leafs' coaching situation has been settled. As a Leaf fan but not a fanatic I think this is the most positive thing to come out of this season. I don't know if Carlyle will be the answer but there is no doubt that Wilson wasn't.The Leafs are still a young team and hopefully they'll really tank the rest of the way and get a good draft pick.I think the question about the goalies has been answered and while it isn't good news that neither Reimer or Gustavsson are number 1 NHL caliber goalies it at least shows that this is an area that has to be improved on. It's better to know the answer even if it isn't the news you would like than to not know.
Im not convinced if Carlyle is any different than Wilson.Kessel probably had one of his worst back to back defensive games I have ever seen
Im not convinced if Carlyle is any different than Wilson.Kessel probably had one of his worst back to back defensive games I have ever seen
It's going to take time for the players to get used to the new system. Right now a lot of them are probably over thinking and they need to just naturally react and that isn't going to happen over night.

Sincere wishes that you snap out of it Serge.I was really getting excited at the thought of playoffs in Toronto, trying to think of who I would be begging for tickets. This sucks, but Im still hoping for a miracle.Personally, Im pissed that Carolina has been crappy all year, and now the last few weeks they are doing the same crap I razz the Leafs about....winning when it doesnt matter. While playoffs are a pipe dream, at least for a while it looked like we had the #3 spot in the draft lottery, and maybe we get lucky and win it. Be much better then this spot, which will be crap team drafting like 6-10 again.

It might be funny to some, and some maybe enjoying this but it really sucks..REALLY SUCKS
Not enjoying it at all bro, maybe a few years back in the "persona" days but those are long gone now. I got the same way around December, just expecting a loss every night out and usually seeing one, constantly hating the effort I was seeing out of the team, not getting up for the games (or even watching the games for a couple months) and finally I shook it off and decided it is what it is. You will too.
However, I have been disinterested in coming to this forum, listening to talk radio and hate to admit, I dont even look forward to the games on tv ..Which is unheard of.
Sort of reminds me of the last few years of the Sens -- making poor trades in order to limp into playoffs, bad coaching, etc. But on the bright side it due to the parity in the league it won't take too much to turn around the team -- chemistry clicks / new coach / breakout player / etc...
Im not convinced if Carlyle is any different than Wilson.
I thought the usual path was to flip between player's coaches and taskmasters. BB seems to be loading up on 'soft' skill players (Lupul, Kessel, Grabovski, Connelly, etc) but still beating the truculence drum, and hiring coaches that fit that style.
Uh, for your farm team or main roster? Are we drafting from all NHL players? If so, not even close.
No farm, so it's obviously better to draft real players...the hype is blinding.
Look at the last few 1st overall picks, their first 3 seasons. Why in the world would you ever take that over a Stamkos, Malkin, Giroux, etc?
Because 2012-13 is only the 3rd year of the pool and all the blue chippers are still under contract for one last year.2013 draft will be massive...Stamkos, Malkin, all the big guns go back in...I still have my 1st rd and 3 2nd rd picks for that year.
Ah, gotcha. Why would you ask a question about a fantasy league we don't know anything about without giving us important details like who else is available...?
Because I have unreasonable expectations of the forum's hockey knowledge? Or, more likely, because I didn't think it through...