what happened daniel?

20050420-61-025.jpgDaniel Negreanu pushes all his chips into the pot on a flop of 9-3-2. This is a strategy that works every time but once -- this was that once. Negreanu was eliminated on day two of the WPT World Championship when his 5-4 couldn't complete his open-ended straight.
20050420-61-025.jpgDaniel Negreanu pushes all his chips into the pot on a flop of 9-3-2. This is a strategy that works every time but once -- this was that once. Negreanu was eliminated on day two of the WPT World Championship when his 5-4 couldn't complete his open-ended straight.
it's alright, he probably figured to take the pot down right then and there, but figured he still had strong outs had someone called.
it's alright, he probably figured to take the pot down right then and there, but figured he still had strong outs had someone called.
Going all in without a pair with the straight draw was not the best idea, and I bet if Daniel could take that all-in bet back, he would. Seems like a wreckless all in at that point in the tournament.Read Daniel's quote below from a previous blog and he does just the opposite of what he says.
it happens!!!!! i bet he'll do it again in another big one. If this is what happened. i would like to hear what he had to say about this and which opponent he misread.
I totally agree... Daniel made the right move here with that flop, just had bad timing.
it happens!!!!! i bet he'll do it again in another big one. If this is what happened. i would like to hear what he had to say about this and which opponent he misread.
I totally agree... Daniel made the right move here with that flop, just had bad timing.
I disagree. He still had time to build his stack with a more solid hand at that point in the tournament.

I guess this is one of those hands that wouldn't get raked over the coles if it works out for him (a fold or he wins it). I believe he was on a pretty short stack, right?Oh well, more time for cash game.

Moving in with five high on the flop is a wonderful way to win money and influence people.(sw)
I guess this is one of those hands that wouldn't get raked over the coles if it works out for him (a fold or he wins it). I believe he was on a pretty short stack, right?Oh well, more time for cash game.
From Daniel's last few blogs, it sounded like he was really preparing himself for this tournment. You can tell it was a big one for him to win or at least get to the final table. Going all-in on Day 2 with a weak hand doesn't sound like a good strategy if you're trying to win a tournament.
it's funny if someone else posted this hand then you "experts" would had called him "maniac", "fish", whatever. When it's DN made the move, you all tried to kiss his azz.Perverts!
Exactly!!!!
From Daniel's last few blogs, it sounded like he was really preparing himself for this tournment. You can tell it was a big one for him to win or at least get to the final table. Going all-in on Day 2 with a weak hand doesn't sound like a good strategy if you're trying to win a tournament.
Agreed. I don't read his blogs, but this is what I've heard from those that do.

Maybe a bad move to most of you, but have you forgotten that this is DN's JOB??? He's been doing this for a lot longer than we all have, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing........

I disagree. He still had time to build his stack with a more solid hand at that point in the tournament.
Ok... i reread the hand, and now I see what yr saying. Daniel shouldn't have made that first raise after a first bet and one player to come. But I can see how that first raise probably had him feeling committed with a good number of outs.

He was short stacked and has the reputation of playing "any two cards".With that flop he was hoping for a fold to his all-in and steal the pot or he would hit his open ended straight, no way was he going to fold that hand. If your the other person and got top pair on that flop and Danny moves all in its almost almost certain he's going for a draw or atleast hit middle pair and you would have to call with your bigger stack. He got unlucky that someone got a big peice of that " junk" flop.

Maybe a bad move to most of you, but have you forgotten that this is DN's JOB??? He's been doing this for a lot longer than we all have, so I'm sure he knew what he was doing........
Daniel's job is really playing cash games. He gets pretty bored it seems when the 1st prize money for a tournmant is $500k, when he can sit down in a cash game and win that or even lose that in a matter of 5 hands. Daniel plays these tournaments for bracelets and for player of the year points. Of course he also plays because he does love playing poker, but it seems he has lacked some focus playing tournaments the last few months. I'm sure he'll be back on top soon with his game.
Moving in with five high on the flop is a wonderful way to win money and influence people.(sw)
What's your WPT record?Thought so.

I really haven't stated how i felt about his play. I know what he was doin though. Look at the chip count and notice where most pros are at in the count. DN was makin a move that didn't work out. He was probably low on chips and he was playin to WIN!! Not to survive. Some of you said that he was preparing so much, and then he goes and does this? Or you have quoted how he waits for others to make mistakes, and here he is doin something stupid in your eyes. Well, he was makin a bold move that he felt he had to make and it didn't work. Thats part of playin great poker. It doeasn't mean that playin well is only playin good cards and waiting for some favorable flops. NOT in a TOURNAMENT.

as i recall, daniel called off his remaining chips with just a draw, and didnt try to make a play. He made the first bet trying to take it down, then was raised, i assume alot more chips because there couldnt have been too much action preflop for him to be in there with 45. Then he called i think because he was one of the shorter stacks and felt like he needed to make a move at some point and this was a good chance to get a decent amount of chips.

After a multi-way flop of 9-3-2 rainbow, there was a bet to Negreanu, and he raised it up. The player acting behind him effectively put him all in, and Negreanu said, "I've only got five-high, but I'll call," and he pushed in his last $30,000 or so.
DN didn't go all-in to induce a fold. He called all-in.After watching him win on TV last night with a huge stack my guess is that he didn't feel like playing with a small stack. On TV he pushed people around with him dominating chip lead. With a small stack he wouldn't get away with as many agressive moves. Maybe he figured "If I can't double up now I'd rather not play."