for you theorists out there

Early stages of MTT. Blinds 25-50. My stack: 4200.In BB: :clubs8: :diamonds6: 4 limpers.FLOP: :diamonds7: :diamonds2: :diamonds5: Checked to SLA MP2 (stack: 4875), who bets the pot (200)Folded to me. Do I call here?

Fold.Why is this hard?
I'm not sure, I just struggled with it for about 5 seconds, then folded it. I just wondered if there was something about it I didn't figure on.

Well yes its definitely a fold. However, if nobody flopped the flush (and probably didn't), he still has an open ended straight draw and if say a miscolored 4 or 9 hit, he might be alright...still a loose call though. :? He's likely against a couple weak aces/over card hands.

Well yes its definitely a fold.  However, if nobody flopped the flush (and probably didn't), he still has an open ended straight draw and if say a miscolored 4 or 9 hit, he might be alright...still a loose call though.   :?  He's likely against a couple weak aces/over card hands.
Hehe, those are some pretty big ifs early in the tourney. This is really a quite easy fold. I know you're trying to look at it from all aspects, but this is a hand that doesn't have to be looked at too closely; don't make it more complicated than it is. Just toss it into the muck as your first statement suggested.

this guys pot sized bet could easily be protection of a set or an A-7 type hand. If you thought this to be the case, you could take a card off for the 200 and then bet if a scare card comes on the turn . if its a diamond or any over card, he may allow you to take the pot from him. depends on your read of the guy

We're harsh we know. PPL are harsh to me too. You're hand was bad, that's all anyone is saying.
Well put. While the draw looks nice at first glass (15 pretty outs spring to mind!), all your straight outs are pretty much dead against the flush, and all your flush outs are pretty much dead against a higher flush. So you're pretty much drawing dead, and even if you aren't, calling here necessitates calling a LOT on the turn on river, when you're pretty sure you'll lose anyway.
Well yes its definitely a fold.  However, if nobody flopped the flush (and probably didn't), he still has an open ended straight draw and if say a miscolored 4 or 9 hit, he might be alright...still a loose call though.   :?  He's likely against a couple weak aces/over card hands.
That's what went through my mind, yes, but I figured my flush out was bad, and even if I hit the straight, I might not be good, he had me covered, it was so early, blah, blah, blah... so that's why I folded it. I just wondered if anybody had any thoughts about I didn't.
We're harsh we know. PPL are harsh to me too. You're hand was bad, that's all anyone is saying.
I appreciate that. I've been around here long enough to know the harshness that was coming :club: But thanks for the kind words.

haha... I thought the flop was 7-4-5...so I Was like "whoa, why on earth is everyone so quick to drop a flopped straight just cuz someone bet???"then I looked up again when I saw someone mention that he only had an open-ended straight draw and it made sense.yes it's an easy fold, you're straight outs aren't even clean cuz a diamond will most definitely lose the hand.

I realize a diamond straight card would lose to a higher flush (providing he has a diamond)...however, I said miscolored 4 or 9 (black or heart). Still you are right...definitely too early to be dicking around with weak drawing hands, although he does have the chips to play around. I'm not sure how I see that a hit straight is dead to a flush unless it was flopped or the 4 or 9 are diamonds...

I realize a diamond straight card would lose to a higher flush (providing he has a diamond)...however, I said miscolored 4 or 9 (black or heart).  Still you are right...definitely too early to be dicking around with weak drawing hands, although he does have the chips to play around.  I'm not sure how I see that a hit straight is dead to a flush unless it was flopped or the 4 or 9 are diamonds...
Too early was the deciding factor. I didn't want to call the 200, hit my str8, and get raised. Thanks all for the replies!
I realize a diamond straight card would lose to a higher flush (providing he has a diamond)...however, I said miscolored 4 or 9 (black or heart).  Still you are right...definitely too early to be dicking around with weak drawing hands, although he does have the chips to play around.  I'm not sure how I see that a hit straight is dead to a flush unless it was flopped or the 4 or 9 are diamonds...
Too early was the deciding factor. I didn't want to call the 200, hit my str8, and get raised. Thanks all for the replies!
I think Vertigo was actually responding to my response to his post in this thread. Now, take a deep breath and re-read what I just very poorly wrote as many times as you need before it sinks in. :club:
What does this have to do with theory?
Here's a theory for ya...."Well you see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."Wow, tell me to stop hi-jacking threads!!