Sbrugby Loses 500k To Farha

I think your over-estimating sammys edge in PLO. Brian regularly plays 200-400/300-600 PLO and has likely played WAY more hands of PLO than sammy ever has. I dont think these matches will determine who is better, but i would still give the edge to brian. If sammy is SOOO good at PLO then why do people like it when hes in town? Why do they play the "sammy game"? They arent doing it to be nice
Wrong.From Barry Greenstein's website: "Sammy may be the most feared short-handed pot-limit Omaha player in the world. He is so good that we only play Omaha with him in mixed-games with one or two other games added. Even though his fame came from his second place finish to Moneymaker in the 2003 WSOP finale, hold’em is not his forte. His fearlessness carried him through that event."Daniel Alaei also posted on 2+2:Sammy is easily the most dangerous high stakes short handed PLO player in the world, and it's not even close. I have played with Sammy a lot and don't get me wrong, I like his action and enjoy playing with him but he is definitely not to be underestimated. Sammy is as familiar with high stakes PLO as anybody and as the stakes get higher, the stacks get deeper, and the field gets shorter, his edge grows. While I doubt Sammy could beat a 5/10 PLO ring game, he is extremely tough 2-4 handed for very high stakes, as he has no fear and endless money. Sammy will really put you to the test. Any pot you play with him can be all in and if you're not willing to stack off lightly he will just bulldozer you. In this matchup I think Sammy has a significant edge in PLO and obviously Brian has a significant edge in NLH. Brian should really try to get him to play straight NLH where he can be in control of things. will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Link: 2+2Brian probably has put in more hands than Farha in PLO as well.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But...but...I've seen Sammy Farha on TV and he doesn't look good, and I've read Brian Townsend's posts online...he has to be better at all games...he just has to. Poker didn't exist before the internet, how could Sammy have played more?

But...but...I've seen Sammy Farha on TV and he doesn't look good, and I've read Brian Townsend's posts online...he has to be better at all games...he just has to. Poker didn't exist before the internet, how could Sammy have played more?
WHAT?!?

Im not trying to say sammy is a hack at PLO, far from it. I just dont think his edge is as large as people think.Im willing to place a bet that Brian comes out ahead in these matches, if someone feels like gamblin :club:

Im not trying to say sammy is a hack at PLO, far from it. I just dont think his edge is as large as people think.Im willing to place a bet that Brian comes out ahead in these matches, if someone feels like gamblin :club:
1-1 for $100?

Ok, this is my suggestion (Two separate bets):$50 on a 1-1 from now and on. (Not counting the 500k session)I'l give you $50 if Aba comes out ahead or you will give me $40 if Farha comes out ahead. (Counting the 500k session)

I haven't read this thread yet but please, please, please tell me its not the same as the one over at 2+2. You have guys with 5k posts saying "LOooooooooooooool, farha is a bad NLHE player, he couldn't even beat 100NL. looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. brian plays online so hes the best. sam is obv a donk. he three bet with J9s oop, what a donk."I don't think anyone can rly comment on who the favourite is but imo, Brian is a huge (documented with concrete results everyone can see) winner online at NLHE (alot of which is head up) therefore I perceive him to be the favourite in NLHE. Brian is a loser at PLO (as far as I know) and Sammy is said to be the best short handed PLO in the world by many top pros, so I can only assume he is a winner.Brian>favourite in NLHE, Sammy>favourtie in PLO.

Ok, this is my suggestion (Two separate bets):$50 on a 1-1 from now and on. (Not counting the 500k session)I'l give you $50 if Aba comes out ahead or you will give me $40 if Farha comes out ahead. (Counting the 500k session)
ok deal. Should we ship the money to a third party?
I haven't read this thread yet but please, please, please tell me its not the same as the one over at 2+2. You have guys with 5k posts saying "LOooooooooooooool, farha is a bad NLHE player, he couldn't even beat 100NL. looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. brian plays online so hes the best. sam is obv a donk. he three bet with J9s oop, what a donk."I don't think anyone can rly comment on who the favourite is but imo, Brian is a huge (documented with concrete results everyone can see) winner online at NLHE (alot of which is head up) therefore I perceive him to be the favourite in NLHE. Brian is a loser at PLO (as far as I know) and Sammy is said to be the best short handed PLO in the world by many top pros, so I can only assume he is a winner.Brian>favourite in NLHE, Sammy>favourtie in PLO.
I think that's a pretty obvious statement, hence the matchup. I think, barring huge coolers one way or another, they'll break about even on Brian's NLHE winnings and Sammy's PLO winnings, and it will come down to who loses the least in their weaker game.Edit: I think the one thing Townsend has going for him, is PLO is a much higher gamble game (not many hands are huge favorites over another pf, etc.) and since that's his weaker game of the two, the higher gamble risk could swing him some wins in the short run.

Aba ended up winning 50k for the day, but he was stuck around 1,2 million at one point, so he made a huge comeback.Highlow: We end the bet when Brian writes in his blog that the overall match is over. I'll ship the money on preferably UB, but I can also do it on Tilt or Stars...

lol. What, what a line setter. Giving up a whole $10 when you have a $500k advantage.
lol. What, what a line setter. Giving up a whole $10 when you have a $500k advantage.
Erhm, if you read Aba's blog after the first session: "4 or 5 pots that were over 1/2 million dollars --- as well as about 15 200-500K pots " I'm giving up 20% for the 500k advantage, I think it's fair.

I have heard from several sources now that sammy has "endless funds", can some one clarify his background? is he a super dude or something? or just a very successful gambler?

Aba ended up winning 50k for the day, but he was stuck around 1,2 million at one point, so he made a huge comeback.Highlow: We end the bet when Brian writes in his blog that the overall match is over. I'll ship the money on preferably UB, but I can also do it on Tilt or Stars...
Ok thats cool, we can let it go until they quit each other. Im currently trying to figure out if brian is up 50K yesterday, or total. He said he was down 700k at one point (for a total of 1.2 million).

June 7, 2007 Exhausted Sammy and I played for around 12 hours today. I texted a couple brief messages to Zimba who helps runs things around CR. I wanted to clarify what he mentioned. I ended up 50K for the entire match against Sammy, which is a very good result since at one point I was down ~700K on the day and 1.2 million overall. I mounted a very serious comeback which is quite satisfying. On the last hand, Sammy wanted to "run it" in Omaha for 100K each. This is where each player is dealt 4 cards, which you don't look at, then the flop is dealt. The first person to act then turns one card up. The next player has to beat the card the first turned up. This continues till one person is drawing dead or all four cards are exposed. I said no initially but he said two times he would put up 105K vs my 100K. I agreed and we spilt the two hands which netted me 5K. Then he took all the money he had in front of him, 470K, and said lets flip you only have to put up 450K. I thought a bit and would have accepted if I could easily get more money to Vegas to replace the loss, but I couldn't so I declined.

June 7, 2007 Exhausted Sammy and I played for around 12 hours today. I texted a couple brief messages to Zimba who helps runs things around CR. I wanted to clarify what he mentioned. I ended up 50K for the entire match against Sammy, which is a very good result since at one point I was down ~700K on the day and 1.2 million overall. I mounted a very serious comeback which is quite satisfying. On the last hand, Sammy wanted to "run it" in Omaha for 100K each. This is where each player is dealt 4 cards, which you don't look at, then the flop is dealt. The first person to act then turns one card up. The next player has to beat the card the first turned up. This continues till one person is drawing dead or all four cards are exposed. I said no initially but he said two times he would put up 105K vs my 100K. I agreed and we spilt the two hands which netted me 5K. Then he took all the money he had in front of him, 470K, and said lets flip you only have to put up 450K. I thought a bit and would have accepted if I could easily get more money to Vegas to replace the loss, but I couldn't so I declined.
Why does this sound like an alcoholic grabbing his buddy's arm at closing time and yelling, "C'mon, one more shot. Just one more. For old times sake!" Even though they've just done the last 7 shots "for old times sake." I guess when you get the bug to gamble, it's a tick you can never quite get rid of without getting burned. Congrats to Sbrugby, though--both for the win and for saying "no" here at the end. The small edge Farha was giving him was not worth compromising the good vibe Sbrugby surely walked away with coming back from stuck $1.2M...
That actually makes a lot of sense. If he has all of his funds online(millions) it definitely would be hard to get a ton more to Vegas. He'd have to wait for a check to come or for an electronic bank transfer etc.

We all do the same thing.....just at different stakes.We play a 1-2 PLO game and at the end of the night we will play high card for between $20 and $100 a card. It is usually the person stuck the most that wants to partake in this. :club:

That actually makes a lot of sense. If he has all of his funds online(millions) it definitely would be hard to get a ton more to Vegas. He'd have to wait for a check to come or for an electronic bank transfer etc.
Actually this doesnt make sense to me, He says he ws 1.2 mil down at one pt, now that hes unstuck he can't afford it??I think he chickened out, not that I blame him, to come back from a 500k hole only to lose it on a flip, I could never do it after a marathon session where I came back even if it is +EV.....