For some reason i have a hard time getting past the bubble in big MTT's. I normally do well in the early stages but i usually get killed after the first break and have a fairly small stack heading into the third hour which usually means im either pushing all in or folding. Now i was wondering what some of the better tournie players thought was a good strategy to survive in these later stages. Im not really someone that likes to risk lots of chips on draws or marginal hands even i consider myself a very tight player. I would appreciate any help especially from guys like Zim and all the other better tournie players (Yes smash we already know that tournies are for suckers). So thanks again for any help you may be able to offer.

Are you stealing any blinds anywhere, or are you just waiting for premium startinghands? Sounds to me like you need to be a little more aggressive when you're in late position, especially when you can open raise.

For some reason i have a hard time getting past the bubble in big MTT's. I normally do well in the early stages but i usually get killed after the first break and have a fairly small stack heading into the third hour which usually means im either pushing all in or folding. Now i was wondering what some of the better tournie players thought was a good strategy to survive in these later stages. Im not really someone that likes to risk lots of chips on draws or marginal hands even i consider myself a very tight player. I would appreciate any help especially from guys like Zim and all the other better tournie players (Yes smash we already know that tournies are for suckers). So thanks again for any help you may be able to offer.
It sounds to me like you have already identified your problem. You are too tight during the middle stages. You must steal blinds and get aggressive.If you want to succeed in tournaments you have to be more aggressive than usual. You have to accumulate chips otherwise you will be forced into playing all-in poker and sooner or later someone with a bigger stack will either find a monster against you or suck out on you with an inferior hand.NOTE: this is advice for your normal internet MTT. In some live tournaments the structure is better (blinds dont move up so fast) so you can afford to be more patient.

I agree w/ Whiskey, you definitely need to be more aggressive when you are in late position. Just recognize when a caller has a real hand! :club: