at a live game last night....

$100 buy in freeze out. 10 players, $600/$300/$100. Start with 1000 in chips, blinds 10/20, go up every 15 minutes. I've only played with about 5 of the guys, sandwiched between 3 guys I've never played with. So I'm sitting around feeling out the table, haven't had a thing to play with, lost a small pot here or there, have about 850 in chips. Blinds go up to 50/100, I'm in the big blind and look down at QJ. Best hand I've seen all night. One guy is all in blind for his last 10 in chips (just lost a KK to AA hand right before). This generally tight player makes it 200 to go. I look at a flop for the extra 100. Flop comes Q42 rainbow. He bets 150. I have him on JJ, AK, or AJ, something like that. I know he doesn't have the queen. At this point I feel like I'm ahead. Leaning towards him having AK. But I'm not quite sure what he has, so I put out a feeler raise of 200 more. Leaves me with 360 in chips. He waits around a while, trying to figure out what I have, and finally puts me all in for my last 360. I'm close to being pot committed, but now I feel beat. I study him for a while, and realize he has KK. I know he has KK. Now I have a dilemma. I know I have a lot of chips in the pot, but I'm certain about my read and would hate to be drawing to 5 outs. I'm not the type of the player that likes to put all my money in behind. I think about it for a while, assessing the situation, knowing it's going to be an uphill battle with 360 in chips, but I'm certain of my read. So I fold it face over and say, I know you have the kings. The other guy was all in, so they have to finish out the hand. The guy had kings like I thought. ****ing perfect read, and I felt good about it. But here's the funny part. The turn was a Jack, and the river was a Jack, which would've boated me. But I still made the right play, imo. I was happy about my read, but was kicking myself for reraising on the flop, because once I would've hit two pair on the turn, of course I would've been in there. I'm just wanting some feedback on what you would've done AFTER my reraise. Would you have put your money in there knowing that at best you're drawing to five outs, because you feel pot committed, or would you have saved your last 360 because you know it's a pretty soft table that you could come back from on a short stack?

I think you played this pretty badly. First of all, why are you calling with this hand when a tight player raised. I don't know how you put him on KK after your raise becuase there a lot of hands he would come over the top with. Given his reraise it is an easy fold though.

I was already half invested, plus a little frustration. We had been playing for an hour and fifteen minutes and this was the best thing I had seen. I'm not talking about my preflop play. I want to know if you would've pushed all in knowing you're behind, being close to pot committed.

Just to clarify the situation:1. You know you're behind.2. You know you've only got 5 outs.3. You're not pot committed.And you want to know if anyone thinks you should have moved all in? :roll:Tnat said, 360 with blinds at 50/100 doesn't leave too much room. However, you're on the button next hand so you've got a full orbit to hope for something decent and look to double up.

first mistake was letting yourself get frustrated and play the wrong hand. i think your laydown was correct, don't second guess.

The real question is:Did you come back from your laydown? Did you end up winning some key pots?ORDid your laydown kill you because you threw away to many chips on the raise?How big is the prize pool btw?

this is pretty close to a coinflip situation.... you are getting about 5:1 on your money (i think that is right) and you have 5 outs with two to come. I think you are pretty pot committed and because of the outrageous structure of the tourney you are kinda screwed here, i think if you are looking to win the tourney you hafta make this call, if there are only like 4 pple left and you want to limp into the money and there is someone else severely shortstacked maybe a fold is right. I think calling even if he shows you KK is the correct play though, too much money in the pot, too high of blinds to have legitimate chance of coming back.

its always after you make your move when you realize what the person has. You made the right fold. I don't like the reraise with the hand.I'm assuming you limped in with the hand, then the guy with KK made it 100 more with the blinds at 50-100. COnsidering what you know about him, it should be pretty clear what he has. Every chip counts in a tournament... had you folded for the 100 you would have saved yourself 500. Had you given it more thought preflop and made the lay down, you would have had 800 and change, with the button. :oops:

$100 buy in freeze out. 10 players, $600/$300/$100. Start with 1000 in chips, blinds 10/20, go up every 15 minutes. I've only played with about 5 of the guys, sandwiched between 3 guys I've never played with. So I'm sitting around feeling out the table, haven't had a thing to play with, lost a small pot here or there, have about 850 in chips. Blinds go up to 50/100, I'm in the big blind and look down at QJ. Best hand I've seen all night. One guy is all in blind for his last 10 in chips (just lost a KK to AA hand right before). This generally tight player makes it 200 to go. I look at a flop for the extra 100. Flop comes Q42 rainbow. He bets 150. I have him on JJ, AK, or AJ, something like that. I know he doesn't have the queen. At this point I feel like I'm ahead. Leaning towards him having AK. But I'm not quite sure what he has, so I put out a feeler raise of 200 more. Leaves me with 360 in chips. He waits around a while, trying to figure out what I have, and finally puts me all in for my last 360. I'm close to being pot committed, but now I feel beat. I study him for a while, and realize he has KK. I know he has KK. Now I have a dilemma. I know I have a lot of chips in the pot, but I'm certain about my read and would hate to be drawing to 5 outs. I'm not the type of the player that likes to put all my money in behind. I think about it for a while, assessing the situation, knowing it's going to be an uphill battle with 360 in chips, but I'm certain of my read. So I fold it face over and say, I know you have the kings. The other guy was all in, so they have to finish out the hand. The guy had kings like I thought. censored perfect read, and I felt good about it. But here's the funny part. The turn was a Jack, and the river was a Jack, which would've boated me. But I still made the right play, imo. I was happy about my read, but was kicking myself for reraising on the flop, because once I would've hit two pair on the turn, of course I would've been in there. I'm just wanting some feedback on what you would've done AFTER my reraise. Would you have put your money in there knowing that at best you're drawing to five outs, because you feel pot committed, or would you have saved your last 360 because you know it's a pretty soft table that you could come back from on a short stack?
You should post in the strategy forum for best advice. Here is my 2 cents for what its worth. I am going to ignore the fact that you said you only wanted advice on how to play after your raise but I feel as though some of the most crucial mistakes you made were before your raise on the flop which you called a reraise incorrectly. First of all I don’t like putting any money in out of position with a weak hand like QJ against a tight player, if he was a loose player obviously you would have played the hand differently. I probably would have let this one go before the flop (the fact that its the best hand you have seen in a while is irrelevant)Your "feeler" raise was the worst play here because it wasn’t a feeler raise it was about 1/2 of your chips. Smooth calling here would have been your best play and then make a decision on the turn based on your read on him. You were getting 4-1 pot odds on our call which makes laying your hand down a very tough play, which mathematically you can only make if you figure he has you dominated, which he did. Also I see that you are new so I will nicely tell you to please remember to HIT ENTER when you write these long posts.