About Damn Time !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument is so flawed unless you are jewish. Living in a christian dominated society I am surprised that so many christians use eye for an eye as a basis for punishment. In the New Testament Jesus recanted on the Old Testament law and even specifically said to not go by an eye for an eye anymore.
No, you don't have to be jewish.. You can be an atheist, and believe that an eye for an eye is proper justice. It just makes you barbaric, in my mind.The problem with "shadow of a doubt" is that in order to make sure, in order to be absolutely positive, you have to have exhaustive appeals. Even with them, wrongful convictions do occur. When I was attending Northwestern, the state of illinios, based on research and evidence brought forth by a Professor and his students, overturned two wrongful convictions of people on Death row, leading the state of Ill to suspend the death penalty ( I don't know how this turned out) Other cases of DNA and confessions of the real murderer, after the executions have taken place, have occurred. Innocent people, despite all these layers of appeal, have been put to death. In order to make the death penalty a successful deterrent, these layers of appeals will be stripped away, and more innocent people will die. The fact is, there's no necessity for it. We are able to keep people out of society for entire lives, I don't understand why we need the extra revenge. A life time in jail, with no hope of ever being free, seems like a terrible punishment. However, I don't even care about the punishment aspect of it.. I just want these people out of society so they can't hurt anyone else.
No, you don't have to be jewish.. You can be an atheist, and believe that an eye for an eye is proper justice. It just makes you barbaric, in my mind.
Well of course anyone can believe it but I was just pointing out that christians who cite it have probably never even read the bible.

To further expound on that last post, I think it's time to get a little philosophical. I think the whole idea of eye for an eye, the whole criminal laws as punishment thing requires one thing. The existence of free will. I think free will, largely, is an illusion. I think people are completely products of their biological nature, as filtered through their life experience. I think people who are serial child rapists have severe psychological issues, they have severely dyfunctional sexual compulsions that drive them to molestation. They have little control over their desires and their actions. It's not like they are sitting in their living room one day, and say "hmmm I know that raping children is evil, but I choice evil." They are driven by deep compulsions it's almost impossible for mentally healthy people to understand. I think these compulsions in people are dangerous for society, they lead to horrible crimes, like serial rape and murder, and to mass murders. But I think we have to try and understand what it is that leads people to these crimes, other than "they are evil". Because there are reasons for why people rape children besides superstition, and if we understand these reasons, we can work to prevent the crimes in the future. I am perfectly fine with chemically castrating sex offenders, killing their sex drive and the source of their compulsions

This is a cultural problem more than anything. Just go to this website and put in your address. http://us-sex-offenders.com/index.htmIf you live in a major urban area you and you'll see THOUSANDS of people come up. So are we now going to have DEATH CAMPS in the united States? We'll show Stalin and the Khmer Rouge regime what Genocide is all about. Damn, I'm from Texas and this just shows how inept our Government has become that legislation like this can be passed. I guess its easer for people to want to build sex offender death camps than to tackle the fundamental cultural sickness that leads to this type of behavior. We live in an OVERSEXED society which has only gotten worse with the advent of the internet. I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle on this issue and nothing is going to change it.

Surprised???? Or Dissapointed? You pervert.
your mum"We live in an OVERSEXED society which has only gotten worse with the advent of the internet"is there proof we are having more more sex as a society