Official Mariners 2007 Thread

Definitely not overpaying on a marketing standpoint. That guy is worth twice as much as they pay him. Also, have no fear, this guy is not going to break down. The regimen this guy lives by could probably help him play longer than Julio Franco.
Let's not be delusional.. There are no other singles hitters in the league making even close to $20 mil. It's his marketability and popularity with the fan base (Asian & American, that is).
Management has never understood the positives that come along with getting a player who will excite the lockerroom. While it might cost a lot, consider what would happen if the M's went out and got Roy Oswalt or Dontrelle Willis for the pennant stretch. Most teams that have won the World Series in the last 7 years have had a 1-2 punch that either of these with King Felix would provide. Both are from the National League and would mow down the competition for half a year as many ALers would not have seen much of them.
Yeah, either of those guys would fit juuuuuust fine. I'd move some prospects for either of those guys, definitely.. I'd even throw in Luke Ridinour. :club:
(Plus there's always a scenario where they could get Griffey in the trade too. Although, I would wait until he is a free agent.)
I could definitely see that happening, although Griffey is about the only real draw Cincy has left to put fans in the seats. We'd need some lobby from Griff himself to make that happen.
Let's not be delusional.. There are no other singles hitters in the league making even close to $20 mil. It's his marketability and popularity with the fan base (Asian & American, that is).
You seem to forget other than Vince Coleman (and that's a stretch) we've never had a table setter that can set us up for small ball like Ichiro does. The guy hits .330+ and scores 110+ runs every year. Home runs are overrated. It's the little things that you have to appreciate about the guy. That, to me, is worth Derek Jeter salary numbers. You got to have someone on base to put up crooked numbers on the scoreboard and win games. I agree, he's making the big bucks because of his draw more than anything. But, he is on pace to be a Hall of Famer in my opinion. He deserves Hall of Fame dollars. If you think about him leaving, we're back to the empty Kingdome days of the 80s in attendance. That's worth almost $20 mill alone. (10k butts in seats at an average of $20/seat times 81 games = $16 mill and that's conservative). When you combine that with the dollars he brings in from the Japanese market, then he is worth more than $20 mill.
If you think about him leaving, we're back to the empty Kingdome days of the 80s in attendance.
Hey now.. Alvin Davis.. Jim Presley.. Mickey Brantley.. Gorman Thomas.. Mark Langston.. Those were some good times!!On second thought, yeah, let's overpay the guy.
Hey now.. Alvin Davis.. Jim Presley.. Mickey Brantley.. Gorman Thomas.. Mark Langston.. Those were some good times!!On second thought, yeah, let's overpay the guy.
Well, the real good thing was you could pay $4 or $6 for a seat and sit in the expensive seats right behind first base because all the season ticket holders went to like 20 games a year.
Well, the real good thing was you could pay $4 or $6 for a seat and sit in the expensive seats right behind first base because all the season ticket holders went to like 20 games a year.
I remember the last time I got to go to a game with my grandpa.. Kingdome.. Mother's Day.. Rickey Henderson stole like 3 bases and I don't think we got him out in any at-bat. Junior must have been walked 4 times. And Mickey Brantley hit a Grand Slam to seal the deal. I still get chills when I think about how hard Brantley hit that ball. Then Brantley promptly fell of the MLB radar, Griffey slipped in his bathtub, and Henry Cotto punctured his eardrum with a Q-tip.. That was one wild season.. It's a different kind of joy to be 52-80 and have a pennant team like the Yanks or A's come into town and just pummel them in a sweep out of pure spite. A fleeting joy, but a joy nonetheless.Oh and the Mariner Moose's Mom threw out the first pitch..
Believe me, if Ibanez, Beltre, and Sexson were all up to snuff, Vidro's contributions would be par for the course and unridiculed.
That's just not true. Vidro grounds in to more double plays than anyone else in baseball, and when he's not doing that, he's slapping around a few singles. He's slugging .358. Not exactly what you're looking for from a DH, particularly one who's been hitting in the middle of the lineup more often than not this year.
I have a question for you Mariner fans. Why does Ichiro still continue to speak through a translator when he speaks perfect English?
If you had a chance to shove some poor unsuspecting soul in between you and the media, wouldn't you do it, too? :club:
That's just not true. Vidro grounds in to more double plays than anyone else in baseball, and when he's not doing that, he's slapping around a few singles. He's slugging .358. Not exactly what you're looking for from a DH, particularly one who's been hitting in the middle of the lineup more often than not this year.
Eh? Exactly my point. It's not Vidro's fault he's hitting 2nd in the freakin' batting order, as the DH. He should be a poor man's Jose Oquendo, getting about 200-250 at-bats spot starting 1B/2B/3B, and coming off the bench as a switch hitter late.. He is what he is. Screaming at Vidro for having no power and being the only guy in the lineup that could put Ichiro in *danger* hitting second, is a lot like yelling at Rob Deer to make better contact and put the ball in play.. The M's would have better luck going Tonya Harding on some AL team's second baseman and trying to get a better hitter in return.
Eh? Exactly my point. It's not Vidro's fault he's hitting 2nd in the freakin' batting order, as the DH. He should be a poor man's Jose Oquendo, getting about 200-250 at-bats spot starting 1B/2B/3B, and coming off the bench as a switch hitter late.. He is what he is. Screaming at Vidro for having no power and being the only guy in the lineup that could put Ichiro in *danger* hitting second, is a lot like yelling at Rob Deer to make better contact and put the ball in play.. The M's would have better luck going Tonya Harding on some AL team's second baseman and trying to get a better hitter in return.
The point is that Vidro shouldn't be in the lineup, period. I agree with what you're saying when you say he should get 200-250 ABs spot-starting and pinch hitting. That's great. But he shouldn't be starting every game, hitting near the top or middle of the lineup. It's asinine, and that's what people are yelling about. I don't think any half-educated human expected Vidro to do any better than what he has this year, though the GIDP numbers are still alarming. Most people are just upset that the M's still haven't called up frickin' Adam Jones to play LF, then moved Ibanez to DH, and benched Vidro.
The point is that Vidro shouldn't be in the lineup, period. I agree with what you're saying when you say he should get 200-250 ABs spot-starting and pinch hitting. That's great. But he shouldn't be starting every game, hitting near the top or middle of the lineup. It's asinine, and that's what people are yelling about. I don't think any half-educated human expected Vidro to do any better than what he has this year, though the GIDP numbers are still alarming. Most people are just upset that the M's still haven't called up frickin' Adam Jones to play LF, then moved Ibanez to DH, and benched Vidro.
It's almost like the opposite of the typical late-season argument:BECAUSE the M's are in the wild-card/division hunt, they need to bring up the rook and let him give it a go. Ask any Sabermetric geek, and they'll tell you how they wouldn't whiz on batting average to put out a fire.. It's all about runs, rbis, and OPS. Jones could hit .230 and still be ahead of Vidro's replacement line in all three major categories..I'd also take time out to bag on Beltre for *finally* living up to his contract 3 years later, but I just got Jeff Cirillo flashbacks, so I'll pass.

then I would like to point out that his line this year, 275/330/477, is very near to his line from 2006 268/328/465, and he continues to be a very good defensive 3B, with probably the best 3B arm in all the league. But of course, offense is down this year from last, so its a larger improvement than it looks.

It's almost like the opposite of the typical late-season argument:BECAUSE the M's are in the wild-card/division hunt, they need to bring up the rook and let him give it a go. Ask any Sabermetric geek, and they'll tell you how they wouldn't whiz on batting average to put out a fire.. It's all about runs, rbis, and OPS. Jones could hit .230 and still be ahead of Vidro's replacement line in all three major categories..I'd also take time out to bag on Beltre for *finally* living up to his contract 3 years later, but I just got Jeff Cirillo flashbacks, so I'll pass.
Most sabermetric geeks will even discount runs and RBI, as they're too dependent on other people to really give a true picture of how productive a single player is. I agree that Jones really needs a chance to show what he can do, though. He's practically wasting away in AAA right now.*shudder*... Jeff Ciriilo. Ugh.
then I would like to point out that his line this year, 275/330/477, is very near to his line from 2006 268/328/465, and he continues to be a very good defensive 3B, with probably the best 3B arm in all the league. But of course, offense is down this year from last, so its a larger improvement than it looks.
And Beltre does seem to be more of a 2nd half player. Considering what he does defensively, I'd still consider him a productive player, at the very least.
Most sabermetric geeks will even discount runs and RBI, as they're too dependent on other people to really give a true picture of how productive a single player is. I agree that Jones really needs a chance to show what he can do, though. He's practically wasting away in AAA right now.*shudder*... Jeff Ciriilo. Ugh.
I mean, if they are going to call him up in August, just call him up now, so he will be *good* in August. It's almost laughable.. The #1 excuse for this behavior is the manager trying to save his job.. Obviously, this is not the case in Seattle. Bring the guy up already!As for Cirillo, I apologize, I should have preceeded his name with a disclaimer. I hope you asked the children to leave the room before you cursed his name aloud in vain.
  • 2 weeks later...

Sick game last night, and they called up Adam Jones! He should be playing tomorrow from everything I've read. Jose Guillen is apparently pissed about that, which I don't get, but whatever.

• 1 month later...
Boy, is this club inconsistent or what? Win 6, lose 6, win 8, lose 9...I'm still a fan though. :club:
live in Ontario, but have a Canucks flag as your av and claim to be a Mariners fanare you a BC transplant?
  • 6 months later...