Can I Make 1k A Month?

the answer is no. it is COMPLETELY different to "play poker to make 1k a month to support yourself/pay bills" than it is to "play poker for fun to try and supplement your income by 1k a month." my advice would be continue playing and studying the game and consider this again when you're at 1/2 and 2/4. also, what does "consistent winner" mean? how many hands? what's your bb/100? what's your bankroll?

the answer is no. it is COMPLETELY different to "play poker to make 1k a month to support yourself/pay bills" than it is to "play poker for fun to try and supplement your income by 1k a month." my advice would be continue playing and studying the game and consider this again when you're at 1/2 and 2/4. also, what does "consistent winner" mean? how many hands? what's your bb/100? what's your bankroll?
i disagree.well kinda. he's right on some things, but not everyone will have the same emotional swings with trying to make $1k a month to pay some bills or w/e this guy is doing.personally, if you aren't making 1k a month playing 100nl you prob aren't playing enough hands, running really bad, or you just aren't very good.And it could of course be a mix of those things. if you seriously aren't sure you can make 1k in a month of playing 100nl you probably won't...but you def. can and should if you are playing good poker, and can emotionally take what poker does to you.- Jordan
I'm kind of shocked that its possible to live on $1,000 a month anywhere in the USA.I would have to *gasp* quit smoking cigars. :club:
From what I gather he's in college, so food and bed are paid for. In college your only expenses are alcohol and cigarettes and drugs, and food I suppose (at least if you went to my school....God that cafeteria was gross).
I will also pay 1,000 for a night with his girl. This should provide him an adequate cushion in case anything goes awry with the poker.
Lets do it together. Threesomes are just more fun.
SOLD AMERICAN
I call anal first.
Room for one more?

Break it down like this: 30 days in a month. 1000/30 = 33.33. You need to make $33 a day. Seems very reasonable at $100 NL. Play for 4 hours, that's 8.33 an hour. Play for 6 hours that's $5.55. I'd say if you are a decent player, you can do it. It would be boring as **** and your girlfriend would probably break up with you, but it's doable.

Well obviously I'd like to do more than 1K a month. My rent is 600, car 375, insurance 100, cable/internet 100 food 300 g/f car 200, pnones 75, gas 50 electric 50. Total of 1850 give or take. Minus the ~400 I make at my little part time job at the university leaves 1450. My g/f makes about 1200 a month. So in reality I would only need a few hundred to barely make it. But I don't want to rely on her. Plus if I'm not pulling my share she'll eventually want me to quit poker as a means of income.When I say consistent winner, I mean that more often than not, I win. I'm nowhere near as good as some of the guys around here, and my reasoning for asking this question is because I never seriously considered this before. I have always treated poker as a hobby. When I have free time, I play. When I see that I won't have time for a few months stretch, I pull out my bankroll. Its always just been for fun, and I've never really kept track of any stats. But obviously if I were to attempt this I would need to change that. Thanks for most of the input, minus the stupid posts you can't avoid in general. My problem at this level of play is simply that I get bored with it sometimes. Like I said, its always been for fun, so I would be lying if I said I never took all my profits from the lower level NL tables up too high and lost it. But if I were to get serious about it, I think I could manage enough profit to live comfortably. Who knows, maybe eventually when I get better than I am now, I could live better off than I do now? So the general consensus is that yes, I could make 1K a month, at a minimum?

I seriously have no clue what this $1k a month "OMG we're gonna die" idea is. I lived in a college town for a year and was able to pay rent, food, car insurance, phone bill, utilities, alcohol, etc. etc. hookers, yadda yadda, and I was NOWHERE near $1k. Maybe in a crazy month where I got lazy and ate out every other night instead of cooking I hit like 800. But c'mon, college kids don't spend like that when they know money is tight. Give me a break.