Anyone Into Paintball?

OK so after everyones advice and stopping by the paintball store yesterday I have decided on the following package:Tippman 98 Custom $15014" barrell $35Standard gravity hopper for now - $020 oz CO2 - $30JT Proflex Thermal Mask - $50Remote - $45Generic 4+1 - $20Squeege - $8Finger Gloves - $15$350 ishWill look into chrono. May add stock and Halo B hopper if we really get into this on a regular basis.

OK so after everyones advice and stopping by the paintball store yesterday I have decided on the following package:Tippman 98 Custom $15014" barrell $35Standard gravity hopper for now - $020 oz CO2 - $30JT Proflex Thermal Mask - $50Remote - $45Generic 4+1 - $20Squeege - $8Finger Gloves - $15$350 ishWill look into chrono. May add stock and Halo B hopper if we really get into this on a regular basis.
The Halo is awesome, but it will be overkill on your Tippman, unless you plan on getting a Response Trigger. (Oh boy, the addiction of upgrading your marker begins, lol)Also, I'm against remotes. You need to be able to switch hands quickly and a remote makes that difficult. It also gets tangled up in brush if you're playing in the woods. You'll end up snatching a connection loose. That's just an opinion though. Try it out if you think you'll like it.
The Halo is awesome, but it will be overkill on your Tippman, unless you plan on getting a Response Trigger. (Oh boy, the addiction of upgrading your marker begins, lol)Also, I'm against remotes. You need to be able to switch hands quickly and a remote makes that difficult. It also gets tangled up in brush if you're playing in the woods. You'll end up snatching a connection loose. That's just an opinion though. Try it out if you think you'll like it.
good advice, i havent bought everything yet, going tonight so i may stay away from it. i was gonna get your mask and 4-1, but we are playing this weekend so just no time. thanks for the help
The prices are decent. You can do a little better online, but usually the support from local stores makes up for the little extra cost. What 14" barrel is it? For that price unless it was a J&J ceramic, a CP (Custom Products), or some older stock left in the store like a Lapco Big Shot or Dye Boomstick, you can do better for about the same price. There are so many cheap, useless barrels that really aren't going to make a big difference, its best to be sure you are getting the best you can the first time. It might just be me, but I'd rather spend $75 on a barrel the first time, then spend $35 for a POS, then go and spend $50 the second time for something a little better. The gravity hopper and 20 oz will be the best for you right now. The Proflex is a great choice. Its better then the flex 7 I suggested originally, but only marginally. Its basically the same design, just using different materials. The lower section (over your mouth and nose) is softer. This makes it more likely for a ball that hits there to bounce instead of break. The Proflex also has soft ears, its a thin foam, instead of the hard plastic ears of the Flex 7/Spectra. While this is also more likely to get a bounce, it is more painful when you get shot in the ear. Its a trade off, possibility of staying in the game longer vs temporary pain. Most recreational players would prefer less pain. Myself, I'd rather get shot straight in the ear with no protection then leave the game. I agree with Dog that a remote is more likely to get in the way then help. I've never liked the idea, but some people do. A cheap pull through squeegie comes with the Model 98. With a pull through, you need to take the barrel off first. Its only a few seconds but it can make a difference. A would suggest a stick squeegie over the cheap one Tippmann includes, or any aftermarket pull through. A stick squeegie lets you put in in the barrel without taking it off. I'll see if I can find a pic of the last time I was shot in the hand. It was from about a foot away, nice and bloody...That was last summer and I still have the scars. Gloves are a good idea. It seems like I never get shot in the hands, unless I am not wearing gloves, then I ALWAYS end up bleeding. Your friends hopefully already have a chrono. If not, I personally probably wouldn't play with them. Its the second most important piece of safety gear, and if they aren't taking that seriously I would have to wonder what else they are slacking with. Also, no matter what...*NEVER TAKE YOUR MASK OFF* on the field (or in a safe zone if someone doesn't have their barrel plug/condom in/on. INSIST they put it on immediately!). Don't trust your eye sight for the rest of your life to anyone. Even smart people do stupid things now and then, and bizarre accidents happen. I've seen "unloaded" guns fire a ball that was stuck in the feed neck after dry firing it 12 times, I've seen mechanical safeties fail, etc....Sorry this turned so long. I have too much free time...

Good stuff there, Shady. Talking about taking masks off while playing... that's why I stress getting a better mask than the cheapies that are included in kits. The cheapies will fog up and you will be too tempted to lift it and wipe the fog off. Then splat, there goes your eyeball. Next to that, the Proflex is so comfortable, you'll forget you're wearing it. The cheapies will dig into your cheekbones.Also, I insist on barrel condoms over plugs. A plug can become just another projectile, where a condom, even if the strap breaks, is going to slow the ball or bust it.Gloves are preference, but I always wear them. I have the trigger fingers cut out and of course I get shot there, but meh.14" is a bit long on the barrel, but it will be ok. If somebody told you longer barrels mean more accuracy... pimp slap them. 10"-12" is perfect.On that gear I had for sale, if some of your friends are interested, let them know. I'll deal with anybody you vouch for.

Dog, how long have you played for? Do you mainly play woodsball or speedball?What gun(s) do you have?
I don't play anymore. I started in the woods, but we only started about 50yds apart and rushed each other. I moved to speedball soon after. I started out with an electronic Piranha, when I quit I was using an Ion.I was full on addicted but only getting to play about twice a month. Then the field I liked shut down. There is another field close to my house, but it's kinda ghetto. I decided to focus on poker. It's cheaper and I can play more often.

I would go with an ion, because if you get into this, your are going to end up moving away from your 98, becasue they are nice but after awhile they just dont do it. you can get a sweet Ion set up for around 400 it will be easy to operate and it allows you to go automatic,semi,single,3shot,6shot, or ramping mode. it works good for woodsball and great for speedball. Also you can upgrade to compete with just about any gun out there.

1. go to local paintball store.B. talk to the creepy 50 year old guy wearing camo that owns the store.III. tell him how much you want to spend and he'll go into a 45 minute speech about what you need to get.4. leave store.E. go home.VI. open beer.7. sit in front of computer.H. order the stuff from the internet if it is cheaper than it was in the store, if not, go back to store and talk to the creepy guy again.IX. open another beer.10. jump out your basement window.
couldn't have said it better, myself

OWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!About 4th game in a fellow fcp'er zackallen somehow managed to get a shot straight up my mask and busted my chin and cheek all to hell. Cant wait til these turn purple.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpgI'm soooo in next week!

A lot of pain, but when your playing you hardly notice. I mean it hurts but its like dang I got hit. If you play like we used to you have to give up before you were out. We usually got hit quite a few times before we would quit. Plus the guys I played with had not moral dilemma when it came to just shooting you up for no reason. hhaha

A lot of pain, but when your playing you hardly notice. I mean it hurts but its like dang I got hit. If you play like we used to you have to give up before you were out. We usually got hit quite a few times before we would quit. Plus the guys I played with had not moral dilemma when it came to just shooting you up for no reason. hhaha
yup same deal. you werent out until you called yourself out. maybe i wont be such a 'tough guy' next time lol

lol enjoy the questions all week about WTF happened to your face. Did they have a chronograph? Back in the day, they used to shoot a tree, and if bark came off, the gun was shooting too hot (velocity too high) and had to be turned down. Thats just sick..