Common Characteristics Of Succesful Online Players

This is kind of a broad question. I would like to know what most successful online players such as BAX,Sheets Sgruby etc. and recent BIG winners on this or any sites such as FTOPS etc. would have in common with regards to tournament play.Is there a general style of play adopeted when playing these MTT. Do all sucessful Online players take "NOTES" on players and do they use any 3rd party software such as pokertracker for added information.If you do take "NOTES" is there a "SHORT FORM LIST" that anyone can provide? I usually label by TAG,LAG.bets pot with TP etc.But what should be an example of proper note taking. (Screenshots would be great).I have a general consensus that most players play online and shove when they have a hand. But I would like to know if sucessful online players use a "SMALL BALL" technique avoiding coinflips etc and ALL INS.What are succesful online players doing differently from your average "joe" grinding the online poker?Thanks in advance.

I doubt that you'll get a serious answer, maybe you'll do better if you posted in the strategy forum. I'm curious too though. I think that all it boils down to is the volume of tournaments they play. As long as you're a fairly good player and not playing above your limits, you should be able to eventually cash in a tournament, or even win one. I've cashed in a few, although I don't play nearly as many as I'd like to. Oh yeah, you also have to get really ****ing lucky, and be able to lay down some big hands once in a while.

Ok sorry for the sarcastic answer but if you really want to know and invest in becoming a better player, you can subscribe to pokerxfactor.com, where cliff josephy and eric haber have commentary on all different types of situations they've been in. I dont use it, but I imagine that would be pretty helpful.

On a side note, I just found out about www.officialpokerrankings.com, and I must say it's sweet.

<br />On a side note, I just found out about www.officialpokerlistings.com, and I must say it's sweet.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Link doesn't work for me.I have heard of Pokerxfactor and cardrunners.com, but what I' wondering is if there is actually a common denominator amongst all these sucessful players who have recently cash in the money. I would like to know if all use a 3rd party tracking software, do they all eat blueberries before they play....is table selection a factor or time of play etc. important? Just want to get an idea of situations an online player may want to avoid or take advantage of, if this makes sense.

I would say the main factors are focus, determination, confidence, self-honesty, and a mad craving for improvement.And a big bankroll helps, too.

the majority of successful online players i think def share broad common themes... things everyone wants to apply to their game : selective aggression, controlling pot sizes, patience, etc...but i think the bankroll thing is crucial... playing with a proper bankroll is essential.

If youre looking for one specific secret to killing games online, I don't think your going to find it. You just have to absorb all the knowledge you can from better players, play within your roll, and always look for all kinds of things you can do to improve. I don't think there is some big secret that everyone is hiding from you, that's kind of what your question sounds like.

What interesting comment made so far is controlling the pot. Can someone ellaborate more on this.Does this mean it's like a continuation bet for the mininum hoping to hit your hand. I believe bankroll is a big and important factor.<br /><br />Do BAX,SHEETS and Towsend all use pokertracker? What makes these guys so good?? Is it there betting techniques or extensive note taking etc.??? OOr it must be just more luck for them.I agree with previous poster, there is no answer, but just trying to get an idea. I do find that most players succeeding, have to play alot of hands which means lots of hours online. I have my regular job and could not afford the time to do that. I'm also sure they all have had to lose alot to WIN back what they got. I'm sure confidence and determination is a big thing. If I play a SITNGO with no distractions and stay focused I find I'm very sucessful as opposed to playing when I'm tired or on tilt.that's just my two cents.

Do BAX,SHEETS and Towsend all use pokertracker? What makes these guys so good?? Is it there betting techniques or extensive note taking etc.??? OOr it must be just more luck for them.
I use pokertracker, but it's not as useful for tournament play as it is for ring games. You can't really use it because the percentages vary so much based on blind levels. It is useful for seeing how often people fold to steals and how often people attempt a steal, but the vpip percentage I find isn't all that useful. It is also good for tracking roi on certain levels of mtt and sit and go's.

Try out the tracking software, you have nothing to lose. Take notes. You should be keeping notes either in a notebook, on Notepad, Word, Excel or whatever works for you. When you read something new or want to try a new approach to your game, WRITE IT DOWN. Study and memorize your notes. Apply new techniques to your game. Start at the lowest level if you have to. Experiment. The more hands you play, the more you will improve. It takes time to develop a winning game. Be patient and build your roll slowly. Success does not come overnight. /lecture

dingdingding
How do you explain people like Strassa, WestMenlo, aaaaaaaaaa, etc who play a much smaller amount of tournaments then some of the higher ranked players, yet still put up huge results? Or, Bax only plays a marginal number of live tournaments throughout the year, yet he still has been very successful? This thread is a bit pointless because there isn't _one_ thing that makes someone a good online player (I assume this was about tournaments, but then SRugby was mentioned..), but to simplify it to 'they play a lot of tournaments' is just ignorant.One way to look at it: The more at bats Barry Bonds (or insert any non-cheating player) gets in a year, the more home runs and RBIs he is going to rack up. However, give some random guy in off the streets 700 ABs vs major league pitching and he'll be lucky to hit over .100 and sniff the warning track. Hell, give most college and minor league players (all certainly talented to some degree and capable) 700 ABs at the ML level, and they will undoubtedly struggle.
Do BAX,SHEETS and Towsend all use pokertracker? What makes these guys so good?? Is it there betting techniques or extensive note taking etc.???
I assume all the good players do, but I know for sure that sbrugby (Brian Townsend) uses Pokertracker and PAHUD and considers it invaluable for anything below the highest levels where he can't possibly know and remember all the players and how they play.Mark
<br />How do you explain people like Strassa, WestMenlo, aaaaaaaaaa, etc who play a much smaller amount of tournaments then some of the higher ranked players, yet still put up huge results? Or, Bax only plays a marginal number of live tournaments throughout the year, yet he still has been very successful? <br /><br />This thread is a bit pointless because there isn't _one_ thing that makes someone a good online player (I assume this was about tournaments, but then SRugby was mentioned..), but to simplify it to 'they play a lot of tournaments' is just ignorant.<br /><br />One way to look at it: The more at bats Barry Bonds (or insert any non-cheating player) gets in a year, the more home runs and RBIs he is going to rack up. However, give some random guy in off the streets 700 ABs vs major league pitching and he'll be lucky to hit over .100 and sniff the warning track. Hell, give most college and minor league players (all certainly talented to some degree and capable) 700 ABs at the ML level, and they will undoubtedly struggle.<br />
<br /><br /><br />I agree with your comments PMJackson. I guess it's like the more you do something the better you are at it. Obviously there is no specific answer to my question, but I was just looking to see if anything would be common with these players. Any type of edge you can get or info about your opponent can give you an advantage.
What interesting comment made so far is controlling the pot. Can someone ellaborate more on this.
You should ask these questions in the Strat forums.Here is a link to a 2+2 thread on the basics of pot control:http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1gl,Mark
<br />You should ask these questions in the Strat forums.<br /><br />Here is a link to a 2+2 thread on the basics of pot control:<br /><a href="http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2022931&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1" target="_blank">http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1</a><br /><br />gl,<br />Mark<br />
<br /><br /><br />Thank you.
Try out the tracking software, you have nothing to lose. Take notes. You should be keeping notes either in a notebook, on Notepad, Word, Excel or whatever works for you. When you read something new or want to try a new approach to your game, WRITE IT DOWN. Study and memorize your notes. Apply new techniques to your game. Start at the lowest level if you have to. Experiment. The more hands you play, the more you will improve. It takes time to develop a winning game. Be patient and build your roll slowly. Success does not come overnight. /lecture
QFT