+ev Comic Strip

Talking about why something should be funny is -ev
Lucky for us, that's not what we're talking about. At no point have I said that any of the panels aren't funny. General question, when something is written and misinterpreted, how much blame goes to the writer and how much to the reader? Here's my point for thinking something was off in the strip: when I first read it, I scrolled down further expecting more panels. It didn't feel complete to me. I also read panels three and four as questions, not statements, because of the way panel two set it up, which also led to it feeling incomplete. Am I wrong for having read it that way or is it possible that it could've been written better?In all seriousness, I like the strips, this one included.
General question, when something is written and misinterpreted, how much blame goes to the writer and how much to the reader?
Unless the reader is incredibly stupid, the blame goes to the writer, who should have written a strip that wasn't confusing to the average reader.
Am I wrong for having read it that way or is it possible that it could've been written better?
What you're wrong about is thinking that your way is less confusing. I agree that my way could be more clear and would be confusing to some, but I strongly disagree that your suggestions would make it better. Your way makes it much more confusing.I'm not one of these writers who can't take criticism, and I often critcize my own strips and say that certain ones suck. I agree that this strip could have been better, but I simply think that your suggestions on how to make it better would actually make it a hundred times worse.

Ok, how about this? Panels 1-3 are essentially the same, panel 4 they are in bed watching TV, she begins making another accusation, and he interrupts with Lol Lostaments... ? As it stands, I'm having more trouble with the flow in JJJ's than the original, but I believe the punchline from JJJ's is better. So you see, I have solved this age old debate via a compromise of sorts. Perhaps my gift could be put to better use somewhere other than comic wars.

However, Joey Jo Jo's right about the final panel. It's a better punch.
This is kind of mind boggling now. On top of what I said earlier about why Corbin's line would make no sense in Joey's version and just be confusing without a clear mention of the "Lost" TV show, there's also this: Saying "LOL LOSTAMENTS" would only make any kind of sense in direct response to watching the show, preferably when something really crazy/funny/interesting happens in the show, which is what they usually end their shows with, cutting to the L O S T logo. But in Joey's version he pretty much CAN'T be saying it in response to "Lost," because Violet is right in the middle of talking and she even just asked him a question (in Joey's version). So the reader will think that he's responding to her and what she just said, and he does that by saying "LOL LOSTAMENTS" out of nowhere? Um, anyway, yeah.
Ok, how about this? Panels 1-3 are essentially the same, panel 4 they are in bed watching TV, she begins making another accusation, and he interrupts with Lol Lostaments... ?
I love repeating myself, so I'll do it again: Without a specific mention of the "Lost" TV show, saying "LOL LOSTAMENTS" would make zero sense. The word "lost" is an extremely popular word that is used all the time, including constantly in the world of poker, and there'd be pretty much no reason for people to automatically jump to the conclusion that he's talking about the TV show "Lost" unless it was specifically mentioned. Just seeing that they're watching TV isn't nearly enough. Now if the joke was "LOL STUDIO 60-AMENTS" or "LOL CSI-AMENTS" or something more clear like that, then it would be obvious what he's talking about. But not with "Lost."
I love repeating myself, so I'll do it again: Without a specific mention of the "Lost" TV show, saying "LOL LOSTAMENTS" would make zero sense. The word "lost" is an extremely popular word that is used all the time, including constantly in the world of poker, and there'd be pretty much no reason for people to automatically jump to the conclusion that he's talking about the TV show "Lost" unless it was specifically mentioned. Just seeing that they're watching TV isn't nearly enough. Now if the joke was "LOL STUDIO 60-AMENTS" or "LOL CSI-AMENTS" or something more clear like that, then it would be obvious what he's talking about. But not with "Lost."
I agree with this. I'm assuming you could somehow show clearly that it is Lost that they're watching. I don't know how though. Dammit, you're the one making the comic, I'm not going to do all your work for you.

how about this:2nd panel: change "MMM. GOOD PIE." to "MMM. WON ME A PIE TOURNAMENT ... A PIEAMENT."3rd panel: change last line "I GOTTA MAKE A MOVE." to "SHORTSTACKAMENT."4th panel: change ENDED to STARTED. add thought bubble from him "UH OH... ARGUAMENT."it introduces & builds on the whatever-ament joke. maybe? otherwise isn't it a little out of left field for most readers with the lostament? part of the gag would be arguament when he could just think the correct word, argument.

otherwise isn't it a little out of left field for most readers with the lostament?
I definitely agree that it's out of left field for most readers saying "LOSTAMENTS," which is why I addressed that in my blog post for that day's comic ----------------STRIP #81Explanation of the last panel: The phrase "lol donkaments" is very popular and it has expanded to "lol anything-aments." I believe it was originated on the 2+2 forums, and Greg Raymer has even said it during chat on PokerStars. Just a few hours ago this thread went up, which mentions "lol donkaments" and +EV. Good timing! Also, don't forget to watch "Lost" tonight. Last week's was pretty good.---------------That's also a big reason why I wouldn't want to make it even more confusing by removing the explanation that they're watching "Lost."Also, I like your idea, qyayqi -- that would have been another way to go.

i agree with leaving in her lines. i didn't read the blog, and a comic should stand separate from any blog entries in case you put a collection together when you're famous. <grin>

i didn't read the blog, and a comic should stand separate from any blog entries in case you put a collection together when you're famous. <grin>
I agree that a comic should stand alone, and I dislike that the last panel is confusing to some, but oh well. And I'm already doing collections. The first printing of the first book sold out already and the second printing is almost gone, and the second book is at the printers now.

Then you should change the show from Lost I suppose. Frankly, I'm not in on the whole -aments joke, but I understand that most poker geeks here understand it. The point is that the joke should be that she's complaining and he goes right on with his poker fixation while she's talking about it, and that joke is better by having him say something as opposed to her saying what happened.Put a TV in the frame, and he could say "Lolz. Lostaments. Now, what were you saying?" Or something to that effect.

Yeah, that was another way to go, but I agree with what Suited_Up said -- "Plus, to me, it's funnier having his wife actually repeat something like that, than him say it himself. It's a whole other level, especially if you have a girlfriend or wife, and you know how funny it is when she starts repeating crazy poker forum sayings."

Well, agree to disagree on that then. I think the comic value is higher to have him say it disregarding her current feelings than to have her say it. To have him talk breaks up the staticity of the strip. Also, a joke is funniest when the punch is a surprise. Having her continue her rant isn't much of a surprise, but having him interrupt her with more poker babble is.

I don't find comics very funny in general, but +EV is as funny as a comic can get.Btw, Bobby, can I order the 2nd issue? I have money on Stars and I better get it before I lose all my money again!Oh yeah, I'll be able to play in the +EV tourney on Sunday too! Hoooray

Btw, Bobby, can I order the 2nd issue?
Sure can. The printers had some screw up and everything was delayed, but apparently I should receive the shipment within 10 days or so. It's $5, plus $4 shipping to the USA, $7.50 to Canada, $9.50 to Europe, all USPS Priority Mail. So add the proper shipping and e-mail me your address (bobbyc512@gmail.com) and transfer the funds to: Snagglefood
Oh yeah, I'll be able to play in the +EV tourney on Sunday too! Hoooray
Awesome, see you there, buddy. And for anyone else who wants to play, it's a $5 buy-in, with a $5 bounty on my head, and the winner gets the first issue of the comic book. 3 PM ET tomorrow (Sunday). All details here. Had 33 people play last Sunday.