Limping Behind Early Limpers With Big Hands

The only time I'll limp with Aces or Kings is when I'm UTG. I want to make sure I get the full table to have a chance to raise ahead of me. It sucks when you're 3rd to act and nobody has even limped yet, but then again, in the 1/2 game I play in you can raise $20 preflop and get 2 or 3 callers, so...Anyway, the 2 times (yes, only 2) I've limped UTG it paid off. Once in a tourney where a guy on the button had A-K to my Aces. Another time in a cash game where the BB decided to try to steal with a big raise. I had to sweat this one out watching every single player at the table limp in until it got to the BB. With a full table of limpers and the BB's $22 raise it made me $40 or so. Not bad.

Sklansky and Cloutier have written about this play as Cobalt mentioned, and the most recent example I can think of is when Daniel did it in the T.O.C. Matusow limped on the button, DN just completed from the SB with KK, and Andy Black ended up having AK in the BB and doubled Daniel up. It's obviously a very read-based play - I imagine that Daniel had maybe even seen Black look at his hand and knew that he held something strong and would raise, or maybe Black had just been raising every hand preflop since he was the chip leader by a decent margin... Certainly very deceptive, but in most online mtts, almost impossible to justify in anything but the toughest tourneys (i.e. 100r, 200r on stars where almost every player is very good and very aggressive).

Certainly very deceptive, but in most online mtts, almost impossible to justify in anything but the toughest tourneys (i.e. 100r, 200r on stars where almost every player is very good and very aggressive).
I agree. I don't play much online but in the tougher live tourneys I've played in it seemed to be viable.

I really like the limp in a cash game, however, you need to be careful that one of the earlier limpers isn't trying to catch you with a bigger pair. If you have KK and see, limp, limp...... you may want to be cautious if someone raises in late position and the early limper calls or reraises. I got my Kowboys busted recently by this very same thing when an early limper had Aces. But I do like it if you have Aces for sure. Just know that if no one raises and you get to a flop, becareful. You will probably get checked to by UTG+1 and +2 and you need to bet, but if they raise you or call becareful of a set or 2 pair. If you hit an Ace, well then they will just have to beat you with a draw if they feel lucky enough to call your big raise or ALL IN.