When Do You Move Down In Limits?

It seems as though the overall conensus for necessary bankroll for limit full ring/short ring is 300/500 BB. Say you have 300/500 BB at a certain level and have a cold streak. How many BB do you need to lose before you move down a level?

I'm an idiot, and don't move down, and then go broke, BUT, if I were to set a hard and fast rule, it would be along the lines of when I fall to the BR threshold for the level below me.Ie, playing 5/10 short with $5k, if I drop to $3k, I'll move back to 3/6.In reality though, you really should just play where you feel comfortable. If you lose even say $500 at 5/10 (100 BB) and feel more comfortable dropping down, then do it.

Its pretty rare to go broke with 500 bb in limit, 300 can happen. If your beating the stakes your playing at then 500 downswing is pretty big, you should be able to ride it out without moving down in theory. There is nothing wrong with moving down though... it can feel really comfortable playing in easy games as well as knowing that you have a bankroll to support it.

for me, it depends on a fair assessment of how I stack up against the competition.You can go broke, quite easily with a 300 BB roll, if you are out matched and play enough hands.BR management has at its core the presumption that one is a wining player

• 2 weeks later...
It seems as though the overall conensus for necessary bankroll for limit full ring/short ring is 300/500 BB. Say you have 300/500 BB at a certain level and have a cold streak. How many BB do you need to lose before you move down a level?
Here is a link I stole from Pocket Five's.http://www.pocketfives.com/5C57520F-8A89-4...D240CB3E59.aspx

Moving down takes a lot of discipline. For example, if you have $300 and lose $100 playing $.5/$1 limit, you should in theory move down to $.25/$.5 to help prevent losing your whole roll. Sounds simple enough, but when you are coming off the back of a downswing and moving down a level where it theoretically will twice as long to earn back what you have lost, its not an easy move to make.It is unlikely that you will lose another $200 if you stay at the $.5/$1, but its not impossible as variance does not take into account the fact that you have just lost the $100. It all depends on how valuable your bankroll is to you. If you can afford to lose the rest of it despite the fact that you are playing winning poker, then it may be a good idea to stick at the same level and hope your luck sorts itself out. If however you cannot afford to lose your entire roll, moving down is the safest option.

I move up and down in limits evry day, lower in the AM higher in the PM depending on trafic and game selection and I see a lot of good winning players doing that too.