2007 Australian Open

Since the AO is set to start on Sunday with TV coverage beginning in the States on Monday, it's time for an AO discussion thread. Draws haven't been published yet but seeding was announced today.Men Women1. Roger Federer (SUI) 1. Maria Sharapova (RUS)2. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 2. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)3. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS) 3. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)4. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 4. Kim Clijsters (BEL)5. James Blake (USA) 5. Nadia Petrova (RUS)6. Andy Roddick (USA) 6. Martina Hingis (SUI)7. Tommy Robredo (ESP) 7. Elena Dementieva (RUS)8. David Nalbandian (ARG) 8. Patty Schnyder (SUI)9. Mario Ancic (CRO) 9. Dinara Safina (RUS)10. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) 10. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)11. Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) 11. Jelena Jankovic (SRB)12. Tommy Haas (GER) 12. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)13. Tomas Berdych (CZE) 13. Ana Ivanovic (SRB)14. Novak Djokovic (SRB) 14. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)15. Andy Murray (GBR) 15. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)16. David Ferrer (ESP) 16. Shahar Peer (ISR)17. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) 17. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)18. Richard Gasquet (FRA) 18. Marion Bartoli (FRA)19. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 19. Na Li (CHN)20. Radek Stepanek (CZE) 20. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)21. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) 21. Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)22. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) 22. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)23. Robin Soderling (SWE) 23. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)24. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) 24. Samantha Stosur (AUS)25. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) 25. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)26. Marat Safin (RUS) 26. Maria Kirilenko (RUS)27. Jose Acasuso (ARG) 27. Mara Santangelo (ITA)28. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) 28. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)29. Xavier Malisse (BEL) 29. Alona Bondarenko (UKR)30. Agustin Calleri (ARG) 30. Tathiana Garbin (ITA)31. Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) 31. Jie Zheng (CHN)32. Nicolas Almagro (ESP) 32. Eleni Daniilidou (GREThoughts?I think Hewitt is better on this surface and in the arena than #19 says. I think he'll do well as the hometown boy (he usually does) and hopefully will make the quarterfinals.Safin being seeded 26 is a good sign for all Safin fans. Hopefully this will be the year he comes back from that nagging knee injury and finally gets his discipline on par with his talent.On the women's side I expect Kim Clijsters to do well as this is just about as close to home turf for her as there is.I'm not sure Kuznetsova is going to live up to her seeding at #3. Seems a bit high to me.

No need to bump. Today's coverage will be starting in 2.25 hours and then I'll talk to myself in here for the next 6 hours. See you guys in a couple of hours.
Be sure to IM me when any of the girls I like are playing (read: grunting).
Any chance that anyone upsets Federer?
Probably not.Fish upset Lubicic. That's probably the biggest upset of the tourney unlessl Nadal goes out. What I was actually coming in here to post before I realized you had posted here was this:Serena's dress is cute but the earrings are not.
I think Maria is about to pass out from heat exhaustion. She looks bad. If she struggles through this, I'll be impressed.
I dont have cable right now because I just moved. Im sitting here watching the live tracker trying to figure out how it is possible for Maria to play this bad.Since Maria is my favorite player I guess my positive spin on this is that with a gigantic upset she might try harder to reach the #1 spot, or be a little less likely to retire early from tennis.Or, if she finally pulls it out, it should be a huge wakeup call.
I dont have cable right now because I just moved. Im sitting here watching the live tracker trying to figure out how it is possible for Maria to play this bad.Since Maria is my favorite player I guess my positive spin on this is that with a gigantic upset she might try harder to reach the #1 spot, or be a little less likely to retire early from tennis.Or, if she finally pulls it out, it should be a huge wakeup call.
She found enough to pull it out. 102 degree heat is tough on anyone but the #1 seed should be in better shape to deal with heat than that.Maybe this will get more traffic in this thread:sharapova.jpgNext match should be fun. Kendrick played really really tough against Nadal in the US Open.
bump
Haha! You crack me up Andrew. I finally had to go to bed at 2:30am EST while the Blake/Moya match was tied at 5 all in the 1st. Haven't seen any of the night session which was supposed to begin airing at 3:30am. Got all that on the DVR so I'll be catching up this evening. That means no blow by blow commentary. I'll try to save my comments for the end and make them more meaningful.

Safin managed to come back in what appeared to be a lost 5 setter. Amazing. I knew when he called for the rain delay and got it that the momentum would turn. All he needed was a break to get his head on straight again. Safin tends to do that. Once he starts to spiral out of control he needs something to put a big time stop to it before he can turn it around. Unlike Federer who can pull it all back together on court in the delay between first and second serve, Safin needs more drastic momentum changers and the weather in Australia cooperated today.

I'm not up to date. I haven't seen anything that aired in the US today.The Roddick/Safin match was awesome. Great to see Marat playing that well and even though he went off on some rants, he didn't fall apart completely emotionally. Great quality tennis by both players.

So Mauresmo got upset. Interesting. I'm really liking Clijsters chances now. Hingis' stock just went up too.Ancic pushing Roddick to 5 sets is also intriguing. I feel like Roddick will come through this one and it'll get him more focused for next week. I think this could be a good motivator for Andy.