What Moves Work In Low Buy-in Mtts?

I have to disagree to a certain extent that bluffs don't work in low buy in tourneys. Some things I habitually do in the later stages that are very profitable:- I often have a guy to my right who completes the SB when it is folded to him, and also when there is one limper (when I'm getting desperate but still have fold equity even with 2 limpers), I'll raise 4xBB (or move allin depending on my stack) a lot whenthe blinds are worth it.- sometimes there's an aggressive player to my right who can't keep himself from raising my blinds, and I'll re-steal with any hand that has decent showdown value (no weak aces though, because he might call with A8 or so)
I agree..I wasnt referring to steals, but late street bluffs.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime I think I have one down, I get busted by a donk who called a 3xBB raise preflop with A3o and then calls his chips off with the 3, etc etc or something of the sort.
This is the number one frustration for me in these micro events. As I've said, I like to apply the Phil Gordon philosophy of only entering pots with raises (not limping) in large part because (when up against reasonable players) it narrows down the range of hands you'll be facing after the flop. But over and over, you know how it goes: I think "well, I've got the nuts unless he has exactly six-trey, but he called my big preflop raise cold, not to mention my big flop bet when he would have still needed runner-runner for his straight, so there's no way he has that"...and then, of course, he has six-trey and I'm gone.I know that these people cannot be doing themselves much good individually by playing this way, but it sometimes seems like if there is a large enough swarm of them out there, they can wear you down by their sheer numbers (if one doesn't get you, another one jumps up with a luck-stack of his own, ready to take you down). I've been mulling ways to deal with this problem, and more and more I'm edging toward what Alex refers to (if I understand him right), which is to push preflop even in situations where conventional strategy says my M is not low enough to do so. Because as he says, often enough some idiot will call, and won't get the benefit of seeing how his dominated hand hits the flop before deciding to put all his money in the middle. And if no one calls, you still scoop up the pot created by the blinds and limpers without the heartburn involved with playing against these "mystery hand" donks. The downsides of course are twofold, the same two that guide the conventional rules to begin with: (1) the pots you get without a fight may not be big enough to compensate for when you run into someone whose hand dominates yours rather than vice versa; and (2) you may in fact cause someone with a weaker ace or underpair to fold preflop when you could have had the chance to milk them with a smaller raise. But increasingly I'm thinking that in these micros, neither (1) nor (2) happens consistently enough to outweigh the advantages.Even if I'm right about optimal strategy in these types of events, though, the other potential problem I see is that this could surely mess up my sense of strategy for when I play against tough players!