Nba Brawl Between Knicks And Nuggets

Kevin (Columbus, Ohio): What are the fantasy ramifications of these suspensions? Hold on to 'Melo? He'll miss 20% of the season now.SportsNation Bill Simmons: It's a fantasy apocalypse. You just lost your best player for 4 weeks. He's not my BEST player, but yep... I sure did.

I am very surprised that most people feel the suspensions all made sense.I think Carmelo got screwed here. Isiah gets nothing for ordering a hit? Melo gets suspended a quarter of the season for throwing one punch at a guy who was asking for it?This brawl was barely news. I have seen tons of fights way worse than this in baseball, football, hockey and even the NBA. We are just so hyped up after the pacers pistons thing that we overreact. And even if people dont want to admit it race is playing a HUGE role here as the NBA is seen as a black league and when they brawl it is not condoned like a baseball player charging the mound. Was this fight any worse than Nolan Ryan putting Ventura in a headlock? Of course not.(Full disclosure: I am whiter than Casper and jewish)

I am very surprised that most people feel the suspensions all made sense.I think Carmelo got screwed here. Isiah gets nothing for ordering a hit? Melo gets suspended a quarter of the season for throwing one punch at a guy who was asking for it?This brawl was barely news. I have seen tons of fights way worse than this in baseball, football, hockey and even the NBA. We are just so hyped up after the pacers pistons thing that we overreact. And even if people dont want to admit it race is playing a HUGE role here as the NBA is seen as a black league and when they brawl it is not condoned like a baseball player charging the mound. Was this fight any worse than Nolan Ryan putting Ventura in a headlock? Of course not.
I pretty much agree. Nate Robinson was doing more to start fights than Carmelo did and he got 5 less games.

I thought it was pretty funny. I don't follow hockey but I was watching PTI the other day and they showed a player get up after getting checked by the goal and drop his glove and throw a complete sucker punch at the guy who checked him who never saw the punch coming. Fight ensues... but what happens, suspensions, fines??? nothing.It's funny how in a sport with predominantly black players fines and suspensions fly that cost the players hundreds of thousands of dollars, but in one where the majority is white not a thing is said.

I thought it was pretty funny. I don't follow hockey but I was watching PTI the other day and they showed a player get up after getting checked by the goal and drop his glove and throw a complete sucker punch at the guy who checked him who never saw the punch coming. Fight ensues... but what happens, suspensions, fines??? nothing.It's funny how in a sport with predominantly black players fines and suspensions fly that cost the players hundreds of thousands of dollars, but in one where the majority is white not a thing is said.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189378&hubname=nhl9 games is quite a few for the NHL. Bertuzzi's suspension ended up equaling ~20 games, so I'd say this sticks with the precedent. Also, this guy is nothing more than an on-ice pest. The loss of salary from the 9 games probably actually means something to him, and the loss of ice time could hurt his career (not that he has much of one anyways). If some kid steps up on the 4th line in his absence, he could easily find himself in the minors as a result of his own idiocy.There may be a race issue when it comes to the official stance of the NBA/NHL with regards to fighting, but I really don't think they are any less tough on the NHLers when they do break the more lenient rules.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189378&hubname=nhl9 games is quite a few for the NHL. Bertuzzi's suspension ended up equaling ~20 games, so I'd say this sticks with the precedent. Also, this guy is nothing more than an on-ice pest. The loss of salary from the 9 games probably actually means something to him, and the loss of ice time could hurt his career (not that he has much of one anyways). If some kid steps up on the 4th line in his absence, he could easily find himself in the minors as a result of his own idiocy.There may be a race issue when it comes to the official stance of the NBA/NHL with regards to fighting, but I really don't think they are any less tough on the NHLers when they do break the more lenient rules.
Thanks for the link. How long after it happened did they hand out this penalty? I was looking around for something the day after I saw it on Sportscenter and didn't' see anything.
carmelo should've gotten an extra 5 game suspension for running away like a little girl after throwing that b.itch punch.
QFT. If David Stern had come out and said....'I am suspending Carmelo for throwing a punch and then running away like a girl'that I could support. 15 games for punching Mardy Collins who had it coming...excessive.