Putting Chips In The Pot...

in a recent cardplayer article, DN says that, ..."Aside from picking up any physical tells on him based on how he put his chips into the pot,..."i'm just wondering what kind of tells people look for in this situation.thx.

in a recent cardplayer article, DN says that, ..."Aside from picking up any physical tells on him based on how he put his chips into the pot,..."i'm just wondering what kind of tells people look for in this situation.thx.
do they stack the chips?do they splash the chips?do they have shakey hands?if they knock the chips over to they stack them?do they put the chips in the pot and then lean back in the chair and fold thier arms?When the flop comes to they lean in to be closer to it?all of these things mean different things to different people. Pay attention and you will be amazed at how well you can read people

Those are some good tips. Others are if someone stacks chips and they put them down softly or very aggressively. If they already have chips in front of them, do they count out chips and pull the others back to make their bet or are they just adding to the chips already in?if calling, do they just flick the chip(s) in to call or are they put in the other chips and tidy the stack on the table to put them togetherAs mentioned, if you pay attention enough you can figure out a lot. Especially against the majority of the poker population as they're just mediocre players at best.

do they stack the chips?do they splash the chips?do they have shakey hands?if they knock the chips over to they stack them?do they put the chips in the pot and then lean back in the chair and fold thier arms?When the flop comes to they lean in to be closer to it?all of these things mean different things to different people. Pay attention and you will be amazed at how well you can read people
thanks! let's say the people we play with play reasonably well..they tend to make the same moves when putting chips in. are there more subtle things? i have read of a very subtle flick thing at the end that can usually mean strength (uhhh, i think it was strength!). i realize that tells are never 100%, but are there some geralizations, or 'baseline' type correlations.i.e. people say strength means weakness, and weakness means strength. it's not a written-in-stone type thing, but that's the general interpretation.what would be the general interpretation of situations similar to those u listed?thx.

There is no general interpretation, above the vague 'strong means weak and vice versa'. With chiptells, and alot of other tells, I've found that it is really player-dependant.To gain insight from how someone's putting chips into the pot requires some observation - it's not something you can generalize. For example: If someone splashes their chips into the pot, then gets caught bluffing - file it away.

token mention of Caro's Book of Tells. good book.